MTN launches new prepaid LTE bundles

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
Went to buy an MTN sim. Activated the BozzaGigs LTE thingy by dialing *137#.

Now when I want to buy the true 10GB bundle at R149 I go through all of the steps, until I get to the options asking me whether I want it to be recurring or once off. I select Once off and then... Nothing. It borks out and the bundle has not been purchased, no data. Am I the only one struggling with this?

I need this data as a temporary measure as I am waiting for our fibre to get installed.

Dee96

Expert Member
Hi Guys

I am looking for a 10gb day time package to work from parents place for 2 weeks

This seems like a decent price at R149 unless you kind souls can recommend something else
Anyone? I plan to buy it this weekend unless you know of a better deal

Crumbl0x

Anyone? I plan to buy it this weekend unless you know of a better deal
Oh, you can have a look and try Cell C's Home Connecta which lasts longer and is marginally cheaper, but MTN would most likely have a more consistently high connection judging by the review posts so far

Dee96

Expert Member
Oh, you can have a look and try Cell C's Home Connecta which lasts longer and is marginally cheaper, but MTN would most likely have a more consistently high connection judging by the review posts so far
Thanks.

It's a once off so MTN appears to be less risk of me pulling my hair out due to slow speed

medicnick83

Paramedic
Okay, so as per usual. I figured it out myself.

My simcard is fine.
I have a dual sim card phone with my Vodacom SIM in slot 1 and MTN SIM in slot 2.
Even though many of the MTN stuff works (like, *135# etc) when I dial *137# it gives an error.

So...

I turned off the phone, took out the Vodacom SIM in slot 1 and powered the phone back on.

I dialed *137# and the migration option appeared, you do the necessary (follow the prompts)
But also make sure you have loaded the sim with R100 airtime.
Then you can BUY it, once off or auto-reoccurring.

Dee96

Expert Member
Okay, so as per usual. I figured it out myself.

My simcard is fine.
I have a dual sim card phone with my Vodacom SIM in slot 1 and MTN SIM in slot 2.
Even though many of the MTN stuff works (like, *135# etc) when I dial *137# it gives an error.

So...

I turned off the phone, took out the Vodacom SIM in slot 1 and powered the phone back on.

I dialed *137# and the migration option appeared, you do the necessary (follow the prompts)
But also make sure you have loaded the sim with R100 airtime.
Then you can BUY it, once off or auto-reoccurring.
Hi

What was the error?
I am getting an error saying MTN Bozza LTE is only available for new sim cards.

Before you ask, I am using a new card that was switched on for the first time today

Space

the message it gives is:

Send:*137#
Accept:BozzaGigs LTE is only available on new Prepaid Sim cards.

(this is a brand new “MTN Bundle Bonanza” prepaid simcard that I put into a Huawei B315s-936 router).

Dee96

Expert Member
the message it gives is:

Send:*137#
Accept:BozzaGigs LTE is only available on new Prepaid Sim cards.

(this is a brand new “MTN Bundle Bonanza” prepaid simcard that I put into a Huawei B315s-936 router).
Ho

I had the same error. See the post above you.
Try this 2 things in this order.
1) If you have a dual sim phone, put the MTN card in sim 1.
2)Try the code numerous times. Eventually it works.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
So this is not available to existing MTN customers? In essence, you cant load this on your existing number. You will need to get a new number? Cant load this on your MTN prepaid number that you use for voice then? Am I understanding correctly?
And they block the dual sim functionality of their phones they supply!!!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
And they block the dual sim functionality of their phones they supply!!!
Cant speak for MTN, but Vodacom the the last few months have started selling dual sim phones, but they are only available on prepaid and on certain models. My Redmi 9C is a Vodacom supplied dual sim phone.

Space

Ho

I had the same error. See the post above you.
Try this 2 things in this order.
1) If you have a dual sim phone, put the MTN card in sim 1.
2)Try the code numerous times. Eventually it works.
the solution was to buy the R100 airtime first.
once that is loaded on the SIM, then you no longer get the error message and you can follow the prompts to buy the BozzaGigs LTE bundle

Gspalding

Was willing to try the Bozzagigs 20Gb which I read about on Broadband. 2 days later Mtn canceled it with 90% of the unused data. Thus, effectively I paid R149 for a product which Mtn never honoured, neither refunded. I logged a ticket to Mtn, called 4x and even tweeted them but to no avail. What mtn did is tantamount to theft by my standard.

Dee96

Expert Member
Was willing to try the Bozzagigs 20Gb which I read about on Broadband. 2 days later Mtn canceled it with 90% of the unused data. Thus, effectively I paid R149 for a product which Mtn never honoured, neither refunded. I logged a ticket to Mtn, called 4x and even tweeted them but to no avail. What mtn did is tantamount to theft by my standard.
Why did MTN cancel it?
Did they cancel the entire package for everyone or just your data?

Swa

Honorary Master
Why did MTN cancel it?
MTN is known to pull these tricks. Buy sim for using data then they cancel it while bundles are still active because "not using it".

Gspalding

Why did MTN cancel it?
Hi, see you queried. After I paid the 20gb Bozzagigs, MTN sent me a ussd for call saving rates. After I entered this, my data was cancelled, apparently because I opted for a different voice rate which suggests a different deal plan. No warning supplied and no return of paid data. This seems like a scam to make money without supplying the product. This corrupt strategy by MTN is despicable. Thus it was cancelled only for me but surely by implicacation, they do this to many.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210617-104005_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20210617-104005_Messages.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Wow
Reactions: Swa

MirageF1

Executive Member
Why pay R99 , when for R199 you can get 30+30 on MTN LTE sim only deal through Afrihost.

I personally have had v decent speeds and almost 0 down time in last 2 years, including during LS their towers ( at least the ones I've been connected to in a few places I've lived) stay operational.

Last edited:

Dee96

Expert Member
Hi, see you queried. After I paid the 20gb Bozzagigs, MTN sent me a ussd for call saving rates. After I entered this, my data was cancelled, apparently because I opted for a different voice rate which suggests a different deal plan. No warning supplied and no return of paid data. This seems like a scam to make money without supplying the product. This corrupt strategy by MTN is despicable. Thus it was cancelled only for me but surely by implicacation, they do this to many.
Hi

So the data was available in a very specific price plan. You changed price plans and feel they should have given you a warning saying that
a) Changing of voice rate is a different price plan
b) You are about to lose the data you just bought so becareful
which I think is a fair expectation.

Honestly, I would also be upset but this is a series of unfortunate circumstances that you are paying for but they didn't out right cancel for no reason.
I suggest you make a noise till you come across an understanding person at MTN who will help