MTN looking to become the new Eskom with 66% rate hike.

66% voice call rate hike in calls on certain packages. I got this SMS today:

Y'ello! MTN will implement a rate change on out of bundle voice calls on My MTNChoice data plans from R1.20 to R1.99 effective from 8 March 2019.

Fcon_Vpro

I got the sms as well.
They obviously realized that everyone is taking the data packages for cheap data and they are losing out on that main revenue.
The frustrating this is they dont offer voice bundles for most of these packages anymore.
Even on my previous voice package they took away bundles sometime last year.
If anyone knows where to find the voice bundles, please let me know?

wizardofid

Expert Member
I can't belive this shyte!
Why can't you believe ?. How often do people call on data contract. ? I don't, it's put inside a modem or tablet and that is that. My choice data doesn't come with any voice allocation or bundles any ways(black friday the exception). Because my choice data is a "topup" contract it simply means that you can load airtime vouchers and buy voice bundles as needed.

Voice bundles didn't change and still cheaper via bundles, considering you have no reason to go OOB, guys in this thread is getting their panties in a bunch over what exactly, OOB on a "topup" contract.

If you go OOB, you really do deserve whatever comes your way.

Fcon_Vpro

Why can't you believe ?. How often do people call on data contract. ? I don't, it's put inside a modem or tablet and that is that. My choice data doesn't come with any voice allocation or bundles any ways(black friday the exception). Because my choice data is a "topup" contract it simply means that you can load airtime vouchers and buy voice bundles as needed.

Voice bundles didn't change and still cheaper via bundles, considering you have no reason to go OOB, guys in this thread is getting their panties in a bunch over what exactly, OOB on a "topup" contract.

So where do you find voice bundles?
I cant find it on the app. This was prior to me upgrading from a voice to a data contract.

wizardofid

Expert Member
So where do you find voice bundles?
I cant find it on the app. This was prior to me upgrading from a voice to a data contract.
You have two options, you can use USSD *136*2# pressing 1 for voice bundles
Which gives you these options (For me at least)
1. MTN to MTN Minutes
2. MTN All-Net 20 (R10)
3. Rush Hour Voice 10 Min(R2.50)
4. Rush Hour Voice (R6)

Second option is logging onto the MTN active page and activating a bolt on voice bundle or phoning MTN.
Additionally you should also activate mtn zone per second by dialing *136# select MTN menu and then MTN zone.
active MTN zone per second which will then give you a discount based on time of day you phone and network congestion and location, could be any thing from 20% to 100% with OOB voice. Direct code to activate/deactive is *136*4*2#

Fcon_Vpro

You have two options, you can use USSD *136*2# pressing 1 for voice bundles
Which gives you these options (For me at least)
1. MTN to MTN Minutes
2. MTN All-Net 20 (R10)
3. Rush Hour Voice 10 Min(R2.50)
4. Rush Hour Voice (R6)

Second option is logging onto the MTN active page and activating a bolt on voice bundle or phoning MTN.
Additionally you should also activate mtn zone per second by dialing *136# select MTN menu and then MTN zone.
active MTN zone per second which will then give you a discount based on time of day you phone and network congestion and location, could be any thing from 20% to 100% with OOB voice. Direct code to activate/deactive is *136*4*2#
Thanks. I used to be able to purchase voice bundles on the app. So I exclusively used that. Confused why they removed it.
I have activated MTN zone per second.
I found the bundles on the website.

Kosmik

Honorary Master

While I agree with you, what I think is unreasonable is a mid contract change. If you are contracted, it should remain contracted at the agreed rates, however cell companies have proven they can legally ignore that restriction and up prices mid term.

wizardofid

Expert Member
While I agree with you, what I think is unreasonable is a mid contract change. If you are contracted, it should remain contracted at the agreed rates, however cell companies have proven they can legally ignore that restriction and up prices mid term.
Terms and conditions when signing up for a contract, is inline with the CPA, in fact you have the right to cancel should you not agree with changes made, normal early termination fees would still apply.So not sure why people say this is unfair to increase prices mid contract, as people haven't even bothered to check their contract terms and conditions which they agreed to before hand, which clearly states they are entitled to make changes to services with enough notice and give you the right to cancel.

16.1What changes are we allowed to make? We may make changes to the Contract, the Charges, the Network Services and the Charge Limits by giving you(at least) 20 Business Days' notice in writing before we make a change.
16.2Short or no notice -We may give you shorter notice or no notice, if it is reasonable or if we have to comply with law or the requirements of ICASA.

16.3Changes to Value Added Services -We may change, withdraw (take away) or replace your Value Added Services.

16.4Changes to the ValueAdded Services and VAS Charges -If we change, withdraw or take away any Value Added Services as set out above, the following will apply to the VAS Charges:If VAS Charge applied to any of the Value Added Services we withdrew we will not charge you any VAS Charge from the date we withdrew the Value Added Service; andIf any of the Value Added Services we withdrew were included in your chosen Service Bundle, for free, your monthly Subscription Charge will stay the same.

16.5Your right to terminate-We will never make changes to any Package Options without giving you the right to terminate the Contract upon 20 Business Days written notice. Such rights to terminate will always be in accordance with the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act and you must ensure that comply with such time periods as we may stipulate. Please see clauses 17.1 “WhatChanges are we allowed to make”; and clause 17.2 “Short or no notice

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Terms and conditions when signing up for a contract, is inline with the CPA, in fact you have the right to cancel should you not agree with changes made, normal early termination fees would still apply.So not sure why people say this is unfair to increase prices mid contract, as people haven't even bothered to check their contract terms and conditions which they agreed to before hand, which clearly states they are entitled to make changes to services with enough notice and give you the right to cancel.
I'm aware of that, hence why I don't do cellular contracts anymore. But I also recall there being a huge mess when people wanted to cancel a few years ago.

wizardofid

Expert Member
I'm aware of that, hence why I don't do cellular contracts anymore. But I also recall there being a huge mess when people wanted to cancel a few years ago.
Yet you are acting like there isn't ANY recourse to avoid OOB prices, OOB prices are stupid, nor is it exclusive to MTN however they give you ample opportunity to load either bolt on or bundles.

Additionally unlikely data OOB, airtime for calling is different, MTN basically spam users to buy airtime bundles, if they were to force users to buy airtime bundles or cut them off when they run out of airtime bundles how do you think that will be received. Basically your complaint is pointless, much ado nothing.Even before the change, airtime bundles or bolt on bundles were cheaper than the standard OOB call rates.

So the question is, WTH huh, come again bru ?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Yet you are acting like there isn't ANY recourse to avoid OOB prices, OOB prices are stupid, nor is it exclusive to MTN however they give you ample opportunity to load either bolt on or bundles.

Additionally unlikely data OOB, airtime for calling is different, MTN basically spam users to buy airtime bundles, if they were to force users to buy airtime bundles or cut them off when they run out of airtime bundles how do you think that will be received. Basically your complaint is pointless, much ado nothing.Even before the change, airtime bundles or bolt on bundles were cheaper than the standard OOB call rates.

So the question is, WTH huh, come again bru ?
If you believe that, sure.

CyCliC

4784877A-8C25-4B4C-A7E6-597BF1D415AD.jpeg

Last edited:

CyCliC

It’s fine MTN. 95% of the money I spend on calls on my personal cellphone goes to calling my girlfriend. Since the announcement was made, we have started using WhatsApp for calls.

So you have lost money from me in 2 ways: Firstly, I was only using about 5gb of my 10gb cap, but now I will be using more with the calls I’ll be making. Secondly, I will not be buying airtime like I did before.:thumbsup: Suggest you idiots look into Porter’s 5 forces framework (threat of substitutes; power of buyers) before making decisions.

Space

I agree that this is a unilateral amendment to contract - but as you say this is provided for in the T's and C's

I received the following email this morning, giving me 30 days warning of the changes - would you say this is ample notice ?

Y'ello!

The My MTNChoice range of plans are data-centric and ideal for customers who want to stay connected whilst on the go; perfect for surfing the internet, downloading, streaming, and for all other online data usage needs. To continue enjoying great data benefits, the voice rates on these plans is set to be adjusted.

As of 8 March 2019, there will be an update to the voice pricing on My MTNChoice data plans. The out-of-bundle voice rates will change from R1.20 to R1.99 per minute. In addition, the voice and SMS bundles will no longer be available on the My MTNChoice data plans.

You are currently on the My MTNChoice 30GB price plan/s. The following plans will be impacted by the out-of-bundle voice rate change and discontinuation of voice and SMS bundles:
Click here to create your own deal. You can select from a range of voice, data and SMSs.

If you have any questions related to this increase, contacting our call centre on 135.

Kind regards,
The MTN Team

Terms and Conditions apply.
everywhere you go

This email is confidential. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status. Please notify us immediately by reply email and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy it or use it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person, as to do so could be a breach of confidentiality. Thank you for your co-operation.

To view our Terms & Conditions, Click here.

If you no longer wish to receive email communication from MTN, please unsubscribe.

Connect with us

RedViking

Nord of the South
And this is why I stay away from CONtracts. They can do just what they want. It is a one sided deal. They can even increase your monthly payment if they feel like it.

Aessa

Somewhat inline with this topic, I've been trying to find details of voice pricing on a data contract. This post seems to be the only thing I can find. On the MTN site I can find very basic info for prepaid, but zero details on what voice rates are for any contract. For Vodacom this was easy.

I want to port to MTN since they are the only towers that remain active around my home during load shedding, but really don't like the severe lack of information (like they're hiding something). So even though the prepaid data is really expensive, I'd still prefer that to a contract because I can see what I will get. Now why on earth they have "MTN Connect" as a prepaid option is beyond me, when "MTN Pay per Second" appears to be the same thing but much cheaper voice rates.

Somewhat inline with this topic, I've been trying to find details of voice pricing on a data contract. This post seems to be the only thing I can find. On the MTN site I can find very basic info for prepaid, but zero details on what voice rates are for any contract. For Vodacom this was easy.

I want to port to MTN since they are the only towers that remain active around my home during load shedding, but really don't like the severe lack of information (like they're hiding something). So even though the prepaid data is really expensive, I'd still prefer that to a contract because I can see what I will get. Now why on earth they have "MTN Connect" as a prepaid option is beyond me, when "MTN Pay per Second" appears to be the same thing but much cheaper voice rates.
Cell C should also be able to roam on those MTN towers.