MTN looking to buy majority Telkom stake

cfilorux

Ah, but at what price?

I wonder if it would be possible to pay too much?

Last edited:
K

kingrob

That would definitely be the end of CellC, so don't think it will ever happen.

Maybe if Vodacom is allowed to buy Neotel and agree that MTN gets Telkom, who knows?

Dlamaqhinga

Expert Member
This is dependent on the Voda-Neotel deal, if the deal is approved MTN will be forced to act, and there only fixed line player would be Telkom.

A lot of speculation... and that's what it shall remain.

Deal on the mobile front? Yes, definitely.

Fixed line deal? Not going to happen.

Jola

Honorary Master
MTN have really poor Customer Support, would hate to have that imposed on Telkom Mobile.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
That would definitely be the end of CellC, so don't think it will ever happen.

Maybe if Vodacom is allowed to buy Neotel and agree that MTN gets Telkom, who knows?
It would be good for the telecoms industry if the private companies are allowed to grow big, without artificial limitations from a state owned incumbent. The problem with private enterprises are that they will only pick the low hanging fruit and might well neglect less profitable parts of the country. With the oversight of a strong regulator it is entirely possible for private companies to provide basic services, but unfortunately we are saddled with ICASA.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Look we all know Telkom can be bad at times but I just puked a little in my mouth at having to get my ADSL from MTN.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
If Telkom's legal submissions to ICASA are to be taken seriously - and I argue they should not* - then it is an act of bad faith for Telkom and MTN to be having these discussions until ICASA adopt regulations relating to change in control.

*Well I will argue on Monday in supplementary submissions invited by ICASA

This article - good ol Bloomberg again - seems to be conflating a majority stake with the sale of the government holding (which is not a majority or controlling stake until the PIC component is added) and smells of speculation designed to fudge the stock price.

If Telkom's legal submissions to ICASA are to be taken seriously - and I argue they should not* - then it is an act of bad faith for Telkom and MTN to be having these discussions until ICASA adopt regulations relating to change in control.

*Well I will argue on Monday in supplementary submissions invited by ICASA

This article - good ol Bloomberg again - seems to be conflating a majority stake with the sale of the government holding (which is not a majority or controlling stake until the PIC component is added) and smells of speculation designed to fudge the stock price.
Share price closed on R76,90 - down from last week's high of R78,99.

I think Bloomberg are chasing their tail on this one.

Last edited:

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Share price closed on R76,90 - down from last week's high of R78,99.

I think Bloomberg are chasing their tail on this one.
when aren't they?

[what is the MTN share price doing though - also if Telkom shares fall below R70 I expect some further noice]

/standard disclaimers apply

but back to the topic :)
have you seen Telkom's de facto Heads of Argument that they delivered to ICASA at the public hearings?

The company is up to much goal post shifting and playing - interesting times

kianm

Honorary Master
MTN have really poor Customer Support, would hate to have that imposed on Telkom Mobile.
I remember recently being pushed from one extension to the other by Telkom Mobile people and at the end of it I wasn't helped. I think they are managing to do bad enough on their own already