MTN may have illegally moved more than $14 billion out of Nigeria: report

CAPS LOCK

Executive Member
MTN in the past three years.

mtn.jpg

In comparison to Vodacom. Illustration purposes only.

voda.jpg

Swa

Honorary Master
Nigerians getting desperate over that budget deficit. Traditional scams no longer working.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
And they trying to force shares down poor peoples throats.
That's sickening.

Arthur

Honorary Master
It's their own money, demmit. What gives any government the right to tell anyone what they may or may not do with their own money. This shouldn't be news.

Last edited:

garp

Executive Member
To be fair to MTN, this seems to be a common problem in Nigeria. Emirates Airlines can't repatriate profits of $600m and will probably suspend services. So they want foreign companies to bring nice things like cellphone networks and air travel but don't want to allow them to take their profits, forcing companies to either skirt the law or close shop.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Are you suggesting MTN took the Nigerian state's tax revenues? If so, how do you know it's government money?

No - I'm pointing out that government gets to do what they want with YOUR money as well.

You work, you get paid, government takes a good percentage of it - buys fancy cars.

Arthur

Honorary Master
No - I'm pointing out that government gets to do what they want with YOUR money as well.

You work, you get paid, government takes a good percentage of it - buys fancy cars.
The state creams off a goodly portion of my labour, calling it taxes. But the measly bit that's left is mine, not theirs - and I should be allowed to move it as I wish without let or leave from the state. Same with MTN or anyone else.

I assume MTN are moving their own money after tax. The Nigerian state's restrictions on flows are immoral and unjust, and so our own state's laws. By all means note what's moving, and interdict the proceeds from crime.