MTN MusicTime review

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
MTN MusicTime review

MTN recently launched a music streaming product called MusicTime which lets subscribers buy time instead of data for streaming.

To access the service, subscribers can buy bundles of either R5 for 120 minutes, or R10 for 300 minutes. The bundles include 500MB and 1GB of data respectively, which may only be used for streaming from MusicTime or Simfy Africa.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
No.

So spotify monthly subs is R60.
Spotify has three different bitrates available for streaming on mobile: "standard quality" (96kbps), "high quality" (160kbps), and "extreme quality" (320kbps).
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Bandwidth-usage-is-too-freaking-high-1Mb-sec-seriously/td-p/4358097
Though they changed to opus beginning of the year and bitrate is dynamic, so above is "max" usage.

Since most will leave at default 160Kbps, so 1.2MB/min.
It's R100/gig, so if streaming one gig of data, thats just over 14 hours.

Then you can save the playlist for offline, so that data cost is once off and most of us have Wi-Fi access/cheaper data on large LTE bundles.

So why would you pay for MTN's terrible selection that can only be used on that device? No proper recommendations, etc.

I average at least 3 hours of music a day, so R10 every two days averaging to 150 which is spotify equivalent including mobile data at 1GB prices, less than two weeks to match my spotify subs.

I can't think of many cases where people buy 120 minutes of listening time instead of just downloading the song they want.

I can't think I am rare for having music play in the background of my daily tasks, the 3 hours is just my daily commute.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
@Johnatan56 I tend to agree...

As a once off type of thing, it makes a LITTLE bit of sense, but if you listen to music in any way regularly, then this offering from MTN is a proper rip off.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
That per-second countdown timer would really get to me.