MTN Night Express, change of cutoff time with no notice from 6am to 5am

Do you think what they did is legal?

• Total voters

mubeend

MTN has changed their night express even for existing contracts from the previous 6am cutoff to 5am. This with no notice.

I don't see how this is even legal as the night express was always advertised as being from midnight to 6am. Even if they change it for new contracts, they have to at least honour the 6am cutoff for existing contracts.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
What the heck, I was wondering why my "day" data was disappearing so quick.

I can't wait for November 2020 when my contract expires, been shafted by them twice already within the contract period (changing monthly charge mid contract as well as changing the call tariffs) and had enough.

FirefoxRoux

Definitely not legal and morally right. They advertised it as going to 6am.Why now suddenly the change. If you were one of the lucky one's that your Night Express Data were used instead of your Anytime data. There were numerous complaints here on the forums from others and from me of Mtn using our Anytime Data from 12am instead of Night Express Data. Now they are shifting the goal posts again.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Does this apply to Fixed LTE nighttime data as well?
I hope not..as it is it already only starts at midnight and not 11pm!

P.S I noticed this morning at 06.16 my daytime usage was already like 400Mb for internet browsing :mad:

mubeend

Does this apply to Fixed LTE nighttime data as well?
I hope not..as it is it already only starts at midnight and not 11pm!

P.S I noticed this morning at 06.16 my daytime usage was already like 400Mb for internet browsing :mad:
Most likely. They also won't bother replying on social media as they know full well what they are doing.

samrai.jck

Expert Member
Jip just saw MTN stole my data! What can we do? There has to be some sort of action we can take? I will be posting to twitter daily even hourly until resolved.

Last edited:

samrai.jck

Expert Member
Just spoke to a consultant, only ad hoc services cut off at -5:00, contract still cuts off at 06:00. That is why I have not received any communication. But it has been deducted from my normal data before 06:00. So I have escalated the matter and suggest you all do the same.

mubeend

Just spoke to a consultant, only ad hoc services cut off at -5:00, contract still cuts off at 06:00. That is why I have not received any communication. But it has been deducted from my normal data before 06:00. So I have escalated the matter and suggest you all do the same.
What would fall under ad-hoc? I only have contract data but my night express cuts off daily at 5. Also, the consultant I was chatting to on facebook insisted my regular data was being used via data share during night express time and then just stopped replying to me after I sent him a screenshot from the mtn ussd code menu showing him that I don't use data share and don't have a single number linked via data share.

samrai.jck

Expert Member
Yeah, you have to phone in and raise get the matter escalated. The more of us that do the better.

akescpt

Honorary Master
What would fall under ad-hoc? I only have contract data but my night express cuts off daily at 5. Also, the consultant I was chatting to on facebook insisted my regular data was being used via data share during night express time and then just stopped replying to me after I sent him a screenshot from the mtn ussd code menu showing him that I don't use data share and don't have a single number linked via data share.
the data billing around datashare must also be investigated. they are block billing. there is no way you can have the same charge multiple times a day. how do you spend exactly the same time on the net everytime.

to me it seems they charging an 'access fee' on datashare. everytime data by your added cell number is used you get that fee/block data charge. must make time to sort that usage stats.