MTN Now Forbidden on Telkom SIM Card

SDM_122

I'm using Telkom Mobile and in some areas I frequently go to Telkom is very weak. So in such cases I would then search networks and select MTN so that I would have signal. I deliberately set it so I have to manually search and select but now an interesting thing happened today. I last had it set on MTN and suddenly my signal had completely flat-lined. I just thought maybe MTN was down in the area so I went to switch back to Telkom. But when I see the list of networks, MTN is now marked as forbidden.

I have tried restarting my phone, tried several things from other forums like loading more airtime and setting my phone to 2G and then searching MTN and selecting it. I even saw some people said MTN still worked when forbidden but that is not the case for me. I checked on my wife's phone who is also using Telkom and has the exact same phone as me and she has the option to select MTN as it is NOT forbidden. What could be the cause for this?

On a side note, and I'm hoping this is not related, yesterday I got a call from MTN offering me a package and I turned it down before the guy could start his sales pitch (I use to be with MTN and refuse to use them again). Is it even possible for them to have potentially blacklist my number preventing me from using MTN with a Telkom SIM card? I know they're extremely unethical so wouldn't surprise me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Telkom mobile is now roaming on the Vodacom netork :/

Very unfortunate as my main reason for getting on Telkom Mobile was to get away from Vodacom.
Might get a Cell C sim now as they roam on MTN

SDM_122

Telkom mobile is now roaming on the Vodacom netork :/

Very unfortunate as my main reason for getting on Telkom Mobile was to get away from Vodacom.
Might get a Cell C sim now as they roam on MTN
Everything is forbidden for me, MTN, Cell C, Vodacom. Only Telkom and 65505 are available for me to use, and like I said, MTN still works on my wife's Telkom SIM card. I tested it today.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Everything is forbidden for me, MTN, Cell C, Vodacom. Only Telkom and 65505 are available for me to use, and like I said, MTN still works on my wife's Telkom SIM card. I tested it today.

What did the call centre have to say?

Dan C

Honorary Master
It will automatically go to Telkom-R

marioat1

Expert Member
65505 is Vodacom, it'll show as TelkomSA R on your device.

If you'd searched forum you would have found this discussed already.

cavedog

Honorary Master
MTN roaming was disabled at around 2 or 3am. The roaming is with Vodacom now.

You can not select Vodacom when manually searching. 65505 is Vodacom but it identifies as TelkomSA -R.

Leave you phone on Auto it will automatically roam now without much disruption.

richjdavies

Expert Member
It just doesn't work in lots of places. Will.connect but OOB doesn't work and all-net data does nothing