MTN now offers month-to-month SIM-only deals

wizardofid

Executive Member
My AH (MTN) sim only 60+60 @R349 month by month is still best value IMO.

Clocked a smooth 126 Mbps DL/ 26 Mbps UL last night at my new residence right after switching on my B618 router for first time.
Previously, also with AH (MTN) my max speeds where continuously between 40-100Mbps 24x7, for over a year since signing up.

For FIXED data !! R299 for 50/30 normal LTE Data on contract, makes more sense then the R649.00 on month to month MTN wants for 20/20. I don't know why people keep on complaining about sim only contracts, sure it will cost you 2+- months penalty to cancel. But offer far better value then prepaid and now their month to month deals, and isn't FIXED data.

ronz91

Expert Member
so their contract deals are available on month-to-month but priced higher?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Dude seriously I stay in the middle of the Freestate in a town with about 60 people 150km's away from the closest large city which is bfm and I pretty much beat the pants off most people living in big cities, in which world is cellc or telkom better, in speed and coverage. Telkom and cellc pretty much has 2g coverage only.

Our dam is larger then the entire town.

Quick speed test, I live in an old house with a metal roof, could like double my speeds if I connect the signal booster.
View attachment 903294

View attachment 903304
Well even the birds fly upside down there because there's nothing to see.

wizardofid

Executive Member
The 40GB for R199 package is also available on month-to-month? Can't seem to find the option on their site.

If you use month to month they will rip you a new one.There is a reason why contracts are cheaper reliable income for MTN versus the risk to their bottom line with month to month.
monthtomonth.jpg

wizardofid

Executive Member
Thanks. Didn’t expect the pricing to be this bad.

Well if they were to price contracts and month to month the same on sim only deals, there would probably be a drastic shift in their business, whether it would be good or bad I don't know. I suspect they are trailing month to month to see the general uptake ect. As MTN mentions in their leaflet that the month to month is is promotional and may fall away at any time. Still offering 6/12/24 months deals is better, 6/12 months costs slightly more then a 24 month one. 6 month contract is the best deal overall, I suspect they will have quite the uptake on 6/12 month offerings now.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Who the F uses that much data for mobile? Kids with their eyes glued to phone screen. Or you clearly.

How much of the population stay in areas without fixed line coverage ?. You do know there is large portion of the population that don't stay in a main center ?. You do know outside of BFN, welkom, winburg and a few other areas never got ADSL and will never get fibre EVER as the costs and distances between towns is too far apart. WISP services is available costs about R500 for a 4mb uncapped connection. 4mb in 2020 ? No thanks.

I would ask the question question about narrow mindedness, but I don't think that is a question that needs to be answered especially in South Africa.

334 days so far @656gigs is about 4.39 odd gigs a day, clearly I am glued to a screen.While mtn has pretty decent coverage, fixed LTE is on a different band often higher band meaning much shorter coverage.Not ideal for rural communities especially in older houses.So mobile data does the exact same job as fixed data, just means you can take it anywhere with the router or phone on holiday or whatever and not have to worry whether there is fixed coverage.

''Mobile'' data can be used in a fixed location or on the move, while fixed data offers slightly better value, both have pluses and minuses, with mobile data being slightly better with better coverage and offering more value as of late

screenshot.jpg

Last edited:

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

Supercarfan

Not sure why they’re pretending like this is something revolutionary. They used to offer month to month sim only options until about this time last year.

upup

Executive Member
How much of the population stay in areas without fixed line coverage ?. You do know there is large portion of the population that don't stay in a main center ?. You do know outside of BFN, welkom, winburg and a few other areas never got ADSL and will never get fibre EVER as the costs and distances between towns is too far apart. WISP services is available costs about R500 for a 4mb uncapped connection. 4mb in 2020 ? No thanks.

I would ask the question question about narrow mindedness, but I don't think that is a question that needs to be answered especially in South Africa.

334 days so far @656gigs is about 4.39 odd gigs a day, clearly I am glued to a screen.While mtn has pretty decent coverage, fixed LTE is on a different band often higher band meaning much shorter coverage.Not ideal for rural communities especially in older houses.So mobile data does the exact same job as fixed data, just means you can take it anywhere with the router or phone on holiday or whatever and not have to worry whether there is fixed coverage.

''Mobile'' data can be used in a fixed location or on the move, while fixed data offers slightly better value, both have pluses and minuses, with mobile data being slightly better with better coverage and offering more value as of late

View attachment 903370
I saw Parys is getting fiber. Was there on Friday and saw the fiber guys pulling in to the houses.

wizardofid

Executive Member
I saw Parys is getting fiber. Was there on Friday and saw the fiber guys pulling in to the houses.
How do they have money to spare for fibre after there monthly brandy and coke supplies :D. Only going to be large areas, welkom, Bfn, kroonstand, winburg, ect. Zastorn which is the next town over from me has only two blocks that has access to adsl, and they only got that about 5-6 years ago, and it goes offline some times days on end.Has a population of 20k odd.

Won't see fibre in this area in my life time, thank the useless government for that.