• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

MTN OOB Barring now available

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ohh my God. Why MTN this will not be taken lightly from their users. It actually worked reasonably well. Wow

On another note they are simply not launching such a service because ICASA did not force them yet but have it on standby incase ICASA does force their hand. You can get more sly than that.....

Last edited:

isie

Executive Member
WTF MTN you Launch something beneficial to your subscribers by mistake?
Now you disable it * means they had the technology but would prefer to rip customers off

isie

Executive Member
honestly WTF is wrong with them , they release something that would have attracted customers and make others reconsider leaving - and then they say oops its a mistake.

THose that made the mistake are the people you want working there!

WTF MTN you Launch something beneficial to your subscribers by mistake?
Now you disable it * means they had the technology but would prefer to rip customers off
Precisely, and doing it openly so that no one can ever say they did not know it.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
OMG.

Jannie will be here soon to tell us that Vodacom released lab testing with OOB blocking 3 years ago already.
Slightly more than 3 years ago, actually. Seriously. Was one of my personal pet projects.

Clearly it never launched....... :(

Last edited:

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
All that work for nothing...
Not really "for nothing".

When you work in innovation, a large number of your projects only get implemented 5 years later.... :rolleyes:

Pretty standard in any organisation, unfortunately.

Also about 5 years ago, we pushed the idea of moving from 'Data-bundles' (where you pay per MB) to 'Service'bundles' (where you pay per service). These only started rolling out - in limited numbers - in the last few months by the various MNOs.

But these set the process in progress and - eventually - the idea becomes mainstream.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Slightly more than 3 years ago, actually. Seriously. Was one of my personal pet projects.

Find it strange that Vodacom is always a step ahead of the rest yet they failed to notice that the Huawei B618s-22d which Rain and Vodacom sell on their "LTE-A" packages does actually not support LTE-A on Vodacom or Rain's network. Vodacom offering that device to the public seems misleading afterall Vodacom does roam on Rain LTE and the B618s-22d does not support carrier aggregation between band 3 and 38 so those poor customers that got stuck in a 24 month contract will probably never see LTE-A on those deals.... :erm:

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Not really "for nothing".

When you work in innovation, a large number of your projects only get implemented 5 years later.... :rolleyes:

Pretty standard in any organisation, unfortunately.

Also about 5 years ago, we pushed the idea of moving from 'Data-bundles' (where you pay per MB) to 'Service'bundles' (where you pay per service). These only started rolling out - in limited numbers - in the last few months by the various MNOs.

But these set the process in progress and - eventually - the idea becomes mainstream.
And we showed on SANREN that service based options were not only possible but infinitely better in 2007 already ...... Has taken the mobile operators therefore more than 10 years to even start trying it !!!

Quite right about innovation. The innovators are always constrained by the rest of the organisation!

And even more tragic is I did a project to show that per minute billing for telephony services could be effectively done away with way back in 1988.

Last edited:

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Find it strange that Vodacom is always a step ahead of the rest yet they failed to notice that the Huawei B618s-22d which Rain and Vodacom sell on their "LTE-A" packages does actually not support LTE-A on Vodacom or Rain's network. Vodacom offering that device to the public seems misleading afterall Vodacom does roam on Rain LTE and the B618s-22d does not support carrier aggregation between band 3 and 38 so those poor customers that got stuck in a 24 month contract will probably never see LTE-A on those deals.... :erm:
Don't know about this but can find out if you want me to?

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
And we showed on SANREN that service based options were not only possible but infinitely better in 2007 already ...... Has taken the mobile operators therefore more than 10 years to even start trying it !!!

Quite right about innovation. The innovators are always constrained by the rest of the organisation!

And even more tragic is I did a project to show that per minute billing for telephony services could be effectively done away with way back in 1988.
Service-based offers would not have worked till recently as FUP would've made them too expensive. But, as data prices came down, we now see them becoming more palatable.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Don't know about this but can find out if you want me to?
Would be nice since mybb, Rain and Vodacom 1st line support seem to think I'm crazy.

Vodacom uses Rain for LTE-A in most areas I have yet to see refarmed spectrum being used for Vodacom LTE-A for the public unless there is at the Gautrain stations or malls but I haven't seen it yet.

For for LTE-A to work in most cases you need carrier aggregation between band 3 and 38. The B618s-22d does not support this carrier aggregation
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...-with-Rain?p=20701424&viewfull=1#post20701424

Link to data sheet I found on the net. For it to work we need a router that supports Inter-band CA_3A_38A which the B618 does not support so it will never work on Rain LTE-A and it will never work in areas where Vodacom Roams on Rain LTE-A but that is why my S8 works because hat tip to Samsung the S8 LTE radio is genius. Supports 3CA in any combination and supported spectrum blocks

isie

Executive Member

Cause like MTN , Vodacom realised it would mean a lot less income when subscribers unknowingly go OOB - think about it MTN and Vodacom have what 30 odd million subscriber each if only 25% of subscribers go OOB for just R1 that's over 7 Million bucks easy.
Seriously please give me 1 valid reason this should not be a default setting on all networks?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Cause like MTN , Vodacom realised it would mean a lot less income when subscribers unknowingly go OOB - think about it MTN and Vodacom have what 30 odd million subscriber each if only 25% of subscribers go OOB for just R1 that's over 7 Million bucks easy.
Seriously please give me 1 valid reason this should not be a default setting on all networks?
Profits. Valid, especially for shareholders...