• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

MTN partners with Huawei to boost LTE throughput

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
MTN partners with Huawei to boost LTE throughput

MTN South Africa has deployed Huawei’s CloudAIR 2.0 solution to share spectrum between 2G, 3G, 4G, and NB-IoT in the 900MHz band, MTN CIO Giovanni Chiarelli has announced.

Huawei’s CloudAIR 2.0 solution enables MTN SA to make more efficient use of its limited 900MHz spectrum and achieve a 45% increase in LTE throughput within the band.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
How does it work?
I actually tried reading more on it on Huawei documentation...but it did not really make sense to me. My understanding is that the base station will decide depending on load factors and connected device capabilities if the spectrum will be used for 3g or lte on the fly. I could be very wrong though.

ghostim

Expert Member
I actually tried reading more on it on Huawei documentation...but it did not really make sense to me. My understanding is that the base station will decide depending on load factors and connected device capabilities if the spectrum will be used for 3g or lte on the fly. I could be very wrong though.
Ockie
Point me to those docs pleez, I a bit lazy and studying a certification exam

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Ockie
Point me to those docs pleez, I a bit lazy and studying a certification exam
Gosh...will try and them them again when on my laptop. I was at work and just google searches it on work PC. Maybe chrome kept it in history somewhere. On my phon e now.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
If it's of any help:

5G ready CloudAIR, continuous innovation, and a cloud philosophy to redefine mobile networks

Huawei 5G ready CloudAIR, the industry’s only solution for dynamic sharing of air interface resources, uses a cloud philosophy to redefine mobile networks and break air interface constraints. This solution dynamically allocates resources based on different RATs’ capacity requirements. It increases utilization of air interface resources, allows for the rapid introduction of new RATs, and resolves issues related to phasing out older RATs. Huawei 5G ready CloudAIR helps operators overcome challenges involved in deploying mobile networks and provides users with a better experience.

CloudAIR 1.0, released in November 2016, is deployed mainly featuring GU (sharing ratio: 24%) and GL (sharing ratio: 24%) dynamic spectrum sharing. CloudAIR 2.0, released in November 2017, offers the ultimate spectral efficiency for GU, with sharing ratios up to 48%, 44%, 36%, and 90%, for GU, GL, UL, and L/NR respectively.

GSM, UMTS, and LTE can all be deployed on the same high-value spectrum, enabling a full service network on the golden band. To illustrate, in GL spectrum sharing (44%), 4.4 MHz of the occupied 10 MHz will be shared between the two RATs. (GSM: S332 or 5 MHz to 10 MHz LTE bandwidth change) This will make it easier for operators to choose flexible strategies to introduce LTE and phase out GSM according to practical traffic change. CloudAIR 2.0 also includes UL/DL decoupling. This feature will be included in 3GPP R15 when it freezes in Q2 2018. UL/DL decoupling, together with L/NR spectrum sharing, will accelerate 5G’s deployment. UL/DL decoupling enables co-coverage for LTE and NR as LTE 1.8 GHz can be used for 5G NR’s uplink. For deployed LTE frequencies such as 3.5 GHz, L/NR dynamic spectrum sharing shortens the time to market for 5G.

The Huawei 5G ready CloudAIR solution has already been deployed commercially in more than 30 networks around the world. It is estimated that CloudAIR deployment will reach one hundred by the end of 2018. The CloudAIR solution represents the direction of the mobile cloud. On the road to 5G, Huawei CloudAIR will continue to evolve to help operators build a more flexible, more efficient mobile network and deliver more enhanced user experience for end users.
https://www.mobileworldlive.com/hua...ady-and-support-for-cost-effective-evolution/

TheRoDent

Expert Member
Basically it's just LTE carrier aggregation, but in differing directions.

Instead of using a single channel, or paired channel for uplink and downlink, different frequencies can be used for uplink and downlink.

Not really massively interesting, and also requires a vast amount of intelligence in the CPE, which is not the norm at the moment.