MTN permanently shuts down 53 cell towers

Daruk

Honorary Master
They dont want to spend on security, this will impact shareholders in other countries negatively.
What makes you think they don't spend on security? Where did you get your information from?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Get rid of the humans and automate everything using IoT. There is a significant amount of insiders at the operators benefiting by providing info about where and how to hit the base stations.
Huh? What are you going to automate exactly?

neoprema

Expert Member
Honestly, you can't justify the robbery and theft of their cell towers because they charge too much for data unless you're hideously short sighted.

A telco is there to make money, its simple. And they build these towers with MANY MANY YEARS of ROI calculated in them as part of their business plans and strategy. Nevermind any other compliance acts they are falling under.

Allowing criminals to destroy them causes a problem that spans many avenues, not just their bottom line. It doesn't matter if MTN had R99999999999 billion in the bank - their business relies on infrastructure and any impact to that affects shareholders, staff, clients etc.

Not forgetting, that mobile networks in almost all countries (ours too?) are considered critical infrastructure and should be designed to remain online during terrorist attacks, national disasters etc. How can we even try do that if we have people stealing them?

It all comes back to the usual "I want, I want, I must take" mentality.

Bad1

Honestly, you can't justify the robbery and theft of their cell towers because they charge too much for data unless you're hideously short sighted.

A telco is there to make money, its simple. And they build these towers with MANY MANY YEARS of ROI calculated in them as part of their business plans and strategy. Nevermind any other compliance acts they are falling under.

Allowing criminals to destroy them causes a problem that spans many avenues, not just their bottom line. It doesn't matter if MTN had R99999999999 billion in the bank - their business relies on infrastructure and any impact to that affects shareholders, staff, clients etc.

Not forgetting, that mobile networks in almost all countries (ours too?) are considered critical infrastructure and should be designed to remain online during terrorist attacks, national disasters etc. How can we even try do that if we have people stealing them?

It all comes back to the usual "I want, I want, I must take" mentality.
If you have, have, have then you don't mind the price of data, this is South Africa, cellphone networks are not critical because you forget the majority of the South African population can function perfectly without a cellphone signal, 70% of South African population live off less than minium wage, they wouldn't care if the networks suddenly stop, but you on the other hand will have a sudden heart attack not able to watch your favourite series, while 70% of South Africa cant be bothered, this Africa, nothing is critical, dont fool yourself majority of people wouldn't care if your fancy R20000 cellphone lost signal

Sollie

Expert Member
If you have, have, have then you don't mind the price of data, this is South Africa, cellphone networks are not critical because you forget the majority of the South African population can function perfectly without a cellphone signal, 70% of South African population live off less than minium wage, they wouldn't care if the networks suddenly stop, but you on the other hand will have a sudden heart attack not able to watch your favourite series, while 70% of South Africa cant be bothered, this Africa, nothing is critical, dont fool yourself majority of people wouldn't care if your fancy R20000 cellphone lost signal
Talking about heart attacks. Hope nobody of yours has one when the parties do what you condone.

jax_maxit

Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm a Cell C subscriber and we will be roaming on MTN soon - if not already...I wouldn't know since I have good signal everywhere I go.

I don't know much about these batteries, but what happens if you bury them beneath the tower, or lock them inside a safe for eg? Use the same metals as ATM's. I think they should come up with solutions other than just going offline at affected areas.
Make criminals use explosives or dig through concrete to get to the batteries.

Bad1

Normally I wouldn't care, but I'm a Cell C subscriber and we will be roaming on MTN soon - if not already...I wouldn't know since I have good signal everywhere I go.

I don't know much about these batteries, but what happens if you bury them beneath the tower, or lock them inside a safe for eg? Use the same metals as ATM's. I think they should come up with solutions other than just going offline at affected areas.
Make criminals use explosives or dig through concrete to get to the batteries.
Batteries need ventilation, dangerous gases need to escape during the charging period and they need to be kept cool

neoprema

Expert Member
My cellphone was R28 900.00

quovadis

Expert Member
nothing is critical, dont fool yourself majority of people wouldn't care if your fancy R20000 cellphone lost signal
Like all things though - those who can afford will mitigate as with all aspects of ZA life - Viva Satellite Phones, Viva.

Cosmic_Nomad

I would look at changing the way they store the batteries etc. Dig them deep into the ground as if they were going to have survive a nuclear bomb. Doors made of thick steal and covered with cement blocks that need a special set up to be removed. Riggers needed to open the silo door....

Thor

Honorary Master
I would look at changing the way they store the batteries etc. Dig them deep into the ground as if they were going to have survive a nuclear bomb. Doors made of thick steal and covered with cement blocks that need a special set up to be removed. Riggers needed to open the silo door....
I would just push for CCTV everywhere and jail gangster police men.

Don't treat the symptoms.

upup

Executive Member
They dont want to spend on security, this will impact shareholders in other countries negatively.
Mtn had tracker devices in some batteries, somehow, the thief's knew which , meaning to me inside info.

upup

Executive Member
What I have seen at lots of these towers, brake open, hide batteries under a tree nearby. Next evening, bakkie or Taxi arrive and pick up batteries.
a solution could be this: In towns every fiber company come and lay there own separate fiber. In the field, farmers must also protect their own things, so they get organize security. These guys could also response to a tower on a farm, etc. Problem is, when you find these organized criminals , then you must proof that it was them who stole and after loooooong time they go to jail, but crime boss simply gets new workers. I have also seen at a Vodacom site, they took all the copper, every single wire.

Bad1

Don't treat the symptoms.
Networks could easily place cameras all Over and monitor it remotely, but their own data is so expensive, they rather not