MTN permanently shuts down 53 cell towers

Daruk

Honorary Master
the security they spending on doesn't seem to be working,
Every industry is hit by crooks. You evolve with the times. The next thing you're going to say is they should be spending billions on 24x7 armed guards at every tower but not pass that cost on to you l.

Bad1

Like all things though - those who can afford will mitigate as with all aspects of ZA life - Viva Satellite Phones, Viva.
When Africa finally launches a space rocket, those Satellites will disappear shortly after like the batteries then what?

Neville

If you have, have, have then you don't mind the price of data, this is South Africa, cellphone networks are not critical because you forget the majority of the South African population can function perfectly without a cellphone signal, 70% of South African population live off less than minium wage, they wouldn't care if the networks suddenly stop, but you on the other hand will have a sudden heart attack not able to watch your favourite series, while 70% of South Africa cant be bothered, this Africa, nothing is critical, dont fool yourself majority of people wouldn't care if your fancy R20000 cellphone lost signal
I'd challenge that and ask where you get your 70% statistic from? I see minimum wage earners with smartphones taking selfies and posting on FB etc., my domestic whatsapping me from the taxi to say she is late, a gardener taking a break and checking his smartphone. If you look around I think you'd be surprised how many people rely on data for daily communication regardless of income bracket. I've wondered myself where on earth do they get the money for cellular data but hey, take down the 3G or LTE networks and then let's start a thread about the riots that will follow!

Whether state owned or not, something like a mobile network makes up part of a country's infrastructure. Sabotaging this should be seen as an attack on the state. Same as burning trains. Or busses. Government and SAPS need to stop tweeting and start protecting. Stop slapping the odd culprit with a lousy theft charge, that only got caught because of a tip-off instead of investigative police work, and charge these selfish idiots with treason. I remember a time when walking on a rail line would get you locked up! Let alone even dreaming of plundering cellphone towers. Dare doing this **** in China and you'll end up in front of a firing squad.

Bad1

Every industry is hit by crooks. You evolve with the times. The next thing you're going to say is they should be spending billions on 24x7 armed guards at every tower but not pass that cost on to you l.
No the next thing im going to say is they need to stop milking the poor and find a solution to this problem, because they will not move out of this country because its extremely lucrative, profits are very very very desirable, give people a reason to value the network so they will regard it as critical!

Daruk

Honorary Master
All these anarchists... all anarchists until they get what they ask for, then they want the rule of law to come to their rescue.

Daruk

Honorary Master
No the next thing im going to say is they need to stop milking the poor and find a solution to this problem, because they will not move out of this country because its extremely lucrative, profits are very very very desirable, give people a reason to value the network so they will regard it as critical!
And you're pointing your finger in the wrong direction. If we had competition from day one you wouldn't be begging from private companies the way you do. Job creation ANC style has failed.

Bad1

I'd challenge that and ask where you get your 70% statistic from? I see minimum wage earners with smartphones taking selfies and posting on FB etc., my domestic whatsapping me from the taxi to say she is late, a gardener taking a break and checking his smartphone. If you look around I think you'd be surprised how many people rely on data for daily communication regardless of income bracket. I've wondered myself where on earth do they get the money for cellular data but hey, take down the 3G or LTE networks and then let's start a thread about the riots that will follow!

Whether state owned or not, something like a mobile network makes up part of a country's infrastructure. Sabotaging this should be seen as an attack on the state. Same as burning trains. Or busses. Government and SAPS need to stop tweeting and start protecting. Stop slapping the odd culprit with a lousy theft charge, that only got caught because of a tip-off instead of investigative police work, and charge these selfish idiots with treason. I remember a time when walking on a rail line would get you locked up! Let alone even dreaming of plundering cellphone towers. Dare doing this **** in China and you'll end up in front of a firing squad.
This is Africa not China, you think what u see in cities is the same in every part of South Africa, visit Stats SA il show u around! The majority will not care if networks are down, trust me

Daruk

Honorary Master
This is Africa not China, you think what u see in cities is the same in every part of South Africa, visit Stats SA il show u around! The majority will not care if networks are down, trust me
You're free to quote stats SA right here my man. We're waiting.

Bad1

And you're pointing your finger in the wrong direction. If we had competition from day one you wouldn't be begging from private companies the way you do. Job creation ANC style has failed.
Yip same ANC that will win every election in the future and controls your living conditions, face it the majority run this country and i promise you if all the networks go into blackout, most of the country wouldn't care!

Sollie

Expert Member
:ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh: :ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh: :ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh: :ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh::ROFL::laugh:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Cant remember exact figures my man lets meet at the lot my man
Nobody's asking you to remember, you go look it up and back up your 70%

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
Yip same ANC that will win every election in the future and controls your living conditions, face it the majority run this country and i promise you if all the networks go into blackout, most of the country wouldn't care!
Yet you blame MTN.