MTN permanently shuts down 53 cell towers

neoprema

Expert Member
I would just push for CCTV everywhere and jail gangster police men.

Don't treat the symptoms.
Its critical infrastructure! we need to stop coddling people. Get SNIPERS. You wanna break in and steal, we pump your head so full of lead you gonna look a pencil.

By the 3rd time, people will stop and things will be normal.

Bad1

If this country is such a s***hole, why stay here leave the loyal people to face the music, Australia loves South Africans, go and if vodacom and mtn cant solve battery problems they should pull out of the country, but they will never leave, to much money is made of us South Africans, billions in profit from such a small nation, makes no sense to pull out,these networks should replace stolen batteries, it wouldn't make a huge dent in profit, The end

Bad1

Its critical infrastructure! we need to stop coddling people. Get SNIPERS. You wanna break in and steal, we pump your head so full of lead you gonna look a pencil.

By the 3rd time, people will stop and things will be normal.
U volunteer to be a sniper, and watch what happens to you,

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Great news. Karma for all the daily SMS spam I receive even after opting out numerous times.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Not only mtn, vodacom also, keep the ANC out of this, trying to blame a political party for crime is a bit unfair
Of course it's unfair LOL
https://businesstech.co.za/news/government/280887/whats-to-blame-for-sas-high-crime-rate-according-to-officers-in-the-countrys-most-violent-areas/
However Ground Up reports that minister of police, Bheki Cele, laughed at the committee’s criticisms – claiming that the SAPS mission is impossible because ‘the conditions of the precincts will never change’.

Daruk

Honorary Master
If this country is such a s***hole, why stay here leave the loyal people to face the music, Australia loves South Africans, go and if vodacom and mtn cant solve battery problems they should pull out of the country, but they will never leave, to much money is made of us South Africans, billions in profit from such a small nation, makes no sense to pull out,these networks should replace stolen batteries, it wouldn't make a huge dent in profit, The end
And they will continue to make billions as long as there's no reason not to. That's how business works.. Where there's a demand, they will capitalise. Not sure what you think you're going to do about that other than whinge?

ConfusedR

1 of the many results of the ANC destroying the education system. The 30 percenters and lower, must make a living somehow.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
Mtn and vodacom say this will impact the consumer negatively, so if we own businesses and get robbed, should we also put the price of bread and other food items up?
Lets turn the tables :
International bandwidth prices have decreased marginally over the last 6years,but mtn and vodacom held the price of one gig at R149, so now when profits take a hit suddenly the consumer must pay for theft?

Mtn and vodacom never did anything about crime rate in South Africa, these 2 company's make billions in profit, they are in a position to invest in community policing, cameras, armed guards in high crime areas, but do you think any of theses networks care if your property is stolen?
So if you see a person stealing batteries turn the other cheek and be glad those criminals are not breaking into your house or hi jacking you, unless you the lucky one that gets call from vodascum and mtn crap asking how u doing, batteries can be replaced over and over human life cannot
IDIOT ALERT:

Low IQ ANC supporter

Drifter

Honorary Master
To what extent does Cell-C piggy back on MTN towers for signal? There is zero Cell-C signal in our area.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
I would look at changing the way they store the batteries etc. Dig them deep into the ground as if they were going to have survive a nuclear bomb. Doors made of thick steal and covered with cement blocks that need a special set up to be removed. Riggers needed to open the silo door....
I see you have very LITTLE idea of the reality of this country
South African criminals / wreckers have an extremely high capacity for doing what other criminals think impossible.
A thousand of these perps with picks , shovels and sledge hammers could even have destroyed the Nazi U Boat pens !
Do yourself a favour and watch the movie -- "Lord of War" -- especially the series where the locals strip the transport aircraft
Perhaps also you walk / drive around with your eyes closed ?
Where I live EVERYTHING is being broken / stolen / wrecked / carried away -- even the metal fence around the graveyard
Give these people a bit of time and they will give RUST a good name !

jetlee

This is not only an MTN problem, its a South African problem, ... eventually its too expensive to operate towers, and providers reduce coverage. Then cellphones become less useful, so less are sold, and cellphone sales drop.. then businesses that rely on cellphone users start to shut down and millions of people lose their jobs .. Then we cry that people don't have access to technology, and people cant innovate, limiting possibilities for economic growth.. then more people become unemployed.. then international businesses leave because the economy is too small to justify the foreign office .. then you cant buy samsung, or LG .. only Sony at a premium price because they are the only ones who have a local presence .. all of a sudden TV or PC is a luxury item for the elite .. now no more e-learning .. everyone is forced to learn from 10 year old books .. eventually .. we are back to farming for survival like almost every other African country charity case ruined by corruption, bad governance and crime ...

But go ahead .. keep believing the government is providing .. keep voting for pillaging bastards .. and all the South Africans .. including those who cant leave because they have no foreign passport .. the ones who are goaded with "just go" .. "leave to Australia" .. we can all share in the misery that is poverty .. should be great ..

Neville

I think I'm missing something here: can someone tell me why these towers need batteries?

I'd understand if they were all off-the-grid locations like in the middle of the Karoo or any rural areas but from the report it sounds like they are in metro areas where there is electricity supply? Or am I risking steering this into another Eskom bashing session..? (dives for cover!)

If these are in metro areas where mains electricity is available, take out the batteries - run them from mains. If the power goes down let that reflect on the underlying problem. Let the coverage go down with the electricity, then maybe, just MAYBE someone will actually realise that the Eskom issue is a real problem.

Just a different spin things... treat the cause, not the symptoms.

Happy Days

When Africa finally launches a space rocket, those Satellites will disappear shortly after like the batteries then what?
WTAF are you saying? That someone is going to steal the satellites from orbit?

BTW, you forgot to include "R150 per gig" in your post. It seems like to copy and paste that crap into every post your make and then use that to justify your incoherent trolling.

Rabobi

Executive Member
I think I'm missing something here: can someone tell me why these towers need batteries?

I'd understand if they were all off-the-grid locations like in the middle of the Karoo or any rural areas but from the report it sounds like they are in metro areas where there is electricity supply? Or am I risking steering this into another Eskom bashing session..? (dives for cover!)

If these are in metro areas where mains electricity is available, take out the batteries - run them from mains. If the power goes down let that reflect on the underlying problem. Let the coverage go down with the electricity, then maybe, just MAYBE someone will actually realise that the Eskom issue is a real problem.

Just a different spin things... treat the cause, not the symptoms.
Had some discussions around this with some people. Apparently in the high traffic areas, even an hour of downtime means a ton of lost revenue. So i guess they need to balance the need for backup power with the risk of battery theft. And in some cases the risk has become too high

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Not only mtn, vodacom also, keep the ANC out of this, trying to blame a political party for crime is a bit unfair
So Vodacom and MTN can employ more police (and not want to cut it by R6 billion) and built more jails and ensure the courts have enough capacity? You aren't happy with their data prices and now want to give them these powers? :unsure: