MTN R128,000 bill and how I got scammed

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Pray tell what is the R12k limit for?

My guess is that something hacked your mobile data whilst you were uploading the phone.

Those figures from MTN look quite comprehensive.

calypso

Expert Member
Bill limits have never worked properly on post paid. They often require a session to end before calculating. Post paid was initially never intended to have bill limits so putting in place after was abit of a bandaid.
Prepaid and topup doesnt have this issues, will drop you mid call if you run out of money. Normally, its documented that the bill limit is a best effort services and you need to sign off to it. At best the networks reduce the price by half.

George A

What do you mean by this? Do you mean you had a 5GB data bundle on the phone?

The MTN credit limit is unfortunately not real time, so one can go over it. That why I love Telkom on mobile, their billing is realtime and one can set your account to stop from going out of bundle.
I have loaded 5gb from FNB prior to the update just in case. I took into consideration that the total capacity of the older phone was 27GB with the larger portion on that being transfered via the MAC.

George A

i'm still shocked his daughter as a 12K limit
I have a R1 limit
:oops:
For the previous 11 months the account was R599 or there about.
Doesnt seem the limit helped me much regardless since they will let it run to any amount and then the onus is on you to prove why it shouldnt have.

George A

Did you possibly leave the iPhone connected to the Mac via USB while downloading those songs? You could’ve been hostpotting to the Mac overnight then which may have updated or something?... I know my iPhone is setup to do this
No, the phone was mostly around me far from the MAC so there is no chance that occurred.

George A

The utilization on the billing seems to be 500mb per entry - that’s basicaly every 1.5-4 minutes which isn’t a problem for modern phones. The old phone had 27GB of data storage used so it’s not unusual and the new phone was probably downloading the data from the online backup. From the log posted it doesn’t seem that “looping” is happening as the entire url needs to be considered. My advice would be to focus on the credit limit aspect in your fight.
I reckon the credit limit is the only chance. On the breakdown I have though all the data is Itunes related, it definately looped though as the full 160 odd GB was not transfered to the phone. After the update only 25GB of the phone capacity was used so its anyones guess what happened to the rest.

George A

When was this error discovered? Billing is from 2016 so have you been fighting it since then?
There wasnt really a fight since their response at the time was final. I didnt lawyer up at the time but now that I keep getting called by them for contract renewals I am going to take action.

isie

Executive Member
For the previous 11 months the account was R599 or there about.
Doesnt seem the limit helped me much regardless since they will let it run to any amount and then the onus is on you to prove why it shouldnt have.
you sure the Limit was in place - past experience when you upgrade they reset that limit and you need to reactivate it.