MTN R128,000 bill and how I got scammed

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
There wasnt really a fight since their response at the time was final. I didnt lawyer up at the time but now that I keep getting called by them for contract renewals I am going to take action.
So you never paid it and they still want to offer you a contract

George A

Leaving data switched on, on a contract with no limits, then getting bitten by the OOB shark, how's that the networks fault?
Credit limit not adhered too. Data wasnt transfered to the phone. 165gb tranfered to a phone that only has a 128gb totally capacity that is partially used up by the IOS system and preloaded apps.
In essence I was extended credit that I did not authorise without written consent.

George A

So you never paid it and they still want to offer you a contract
It got paid, the debit order went through at the time even though I stopped it at the bank.
The contract that are to be renewed are related to my company and are a large chunk money wise monthly. Due to that account being so small R599 average a month I reckon I got a hit and run from them.

George A

but paid it and you left it till now ? 2 years later
Yip, at the time it was one of those things.
I was away for the past 40days abroad and kept getting calls from them for renewal. Each time I would say I am abroad and they would call the next day like vultures. This is what actually brought this back up again so I though IU would let people know of my experience and possibly get some advise or see if someone has had similar occur and what the resolution was.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Who does this kind of thing on mobile data and not some cheaper solution like ADSL, or big LTE packages...

RedViking

Nord of the South
Who does this kind of thing on mobile data and not some cheaper solution like ADSL, or big LTE packages...
Rich people and their kids. Your average Joe would have seek legal advise immediately.

wolverine_dcp

Expert Member
In a nutshell I have a account with a R12,000 credit limit that is used for my daughter. Time came to upgrade the IPhone 5 to a 6. IPhone 5 had 27gb worth of apps etc on it (see pic further down) and the phone was backed up on a MAC and was transferred to the new phone via the MAC. We don't use Icloud.
In the end the music was left which I started loading whilst the phone was on the wifi (rookie mistake I didn't switch cellular data off). For good measure I had 5GB of pre paid on the phone.

Next morning the phone was locked by MTN. After the big effort trying to get through I discovered what the bill was and they asked if they should unlock the phone which I accepted as my daughter was already at a place she was to spend the next two days. I was told I should wait two more weeks till the invoice was generated to argue my case or possibly the issue will have rectified itself.
Statement time came and the full amount was billed so I started the painful task of getting through to someone.

Between the numerous calls I managed to find someone on the technical data side who sent me a breakdown of the useage. 156GB was used during the upgrade period of one day on a phone that only had 27GB of data and a bit more full capacity. Here is part of what I received below to give a idea of the charges and rate of billing it was going through for those hours:

View attachment 554425

IPhone 5 vs 6. Note 5 is a small capacity phone. Photo was taken just after the update.

View attachment 554427

Now if each of those is a session of lets say a song or something the amount of bytes does not make sense vs the charge or even if 3G has the capability of transferring that much data. What is also strange is that the byte sizes that are similar reflect a single items like a song so it seems to have caught itself in a loop of some kind billing over an dover for the same item as when I add up all the individual bytes it more or less works out to what is on the phone in total GB.

After going through a couple departments I finally got the below response:

I trust that you are well. I would like to thank you for your patience in this matter.

Please note that the matter has been investigated by our credit management team. They have concluded the below:

- The usage incurred on 28-12-2016.
- The line was suspended due to the high usage – This works in line with the credit limit.
- This happened when the usage was updated on the network.
- You contacted our Call Centre to remove the barring on 28-12-2016 at 15:50:10.

The usage is unfortunately based on this and our Credit Management Team have advised that we are unfortunately unable to refund the amount.

After receiving that I contacted the bank to block the debit order which still ended up going through.

Some time has passed since this has happened and its time to renew our company contracts so I thought I would post this up to blow out some steam. If someone can refer a attorney that is good at litigating against these giants it will be appreciated.

For guys reading this keep in mind that at MTN the credit limit means nothing and any dispute becomes very painful with hours of lost time on the phone and major frustration. I cannot imagine what this would do to someone that didn't have the financial means to cover the cost of the bill.
This is when i stopped reading " In a nutshell I have a account with a R12,000 credit limit that is used for my daughter"

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Here is the classic example of how the rich operate... they have no qualms paying that.. but will moan online. And it proves that to have a lot of money you don't necessarily have to be very bright.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Not sure how I am at fault when they cannot explain what the data usage was for. Only 27GB was the old phones capacity so not sure what the rest is for. A Typical song is only 4mb and 92 where downloaded.
I think the phone updated all of that to the cloud, and who knows what else.

George A

I think the phone updated all of that to the cloud, and who knows what else.
Didn't have cloud services. Short of it looping or someone else using the data only 27GB was stored on the phone total at the end of this. The total session was 167GB of download that I was billed for on a phone that is only 128GB.

mr_norris

Expert Member
165gb tranfered to a phone that only has a 128gb totally capacity that is partially used up by the IOS system and preloaded apps.
If internet usage was bound by local storage of the device you're accessing it on, the entire world would have problems using internet. It's just not how it works. Besides restoring backups, it could have been used for streaming video, etc. Or even as a hotspot.

There are weird holes in this story. Waking up and being angry two years later. The random R128k mentioned in the title. The huge credit limit.

iOS and Android have matured enough to easily maintain and enforce reasonable usage, so I find it difficult to feel sorry for people who fall victim to the OOB shark. You don't even need to be that bright to use it, it's very intuitive.

I'm not saying that MTN are angels here (or any other provider of cell contracts). I stick with prepaid for a reason. Even then, really easy to maintain and keep within limits.

qscwbt

Expert Member
How do they override a limit you set? If the limit 12k pay them 12k.

George A

If internet usage was bound by local storage of the device you're accessing it on, the entire world would have problems using internet. It's just not how it works. Besides restoring backups, it could have been used for streaming video, etc. Or even as a hotspot.

There are weird holes in this story. Waking up and being angry two years later. The random R128k mentioned in the title. The huge credit limit.

iOS and Android have matured enough to easily maintain and enforce reasonable usage, so I find it difficult to feel sorry for people who fall victim to the OOB shark. You don't even need to be that bright to use it, it's very intuitive.

I'm not saying that MTN are angels here (or any other provider of cell contracts). I stick with prepaid for a reason. Even then, really easy to maintain and keep within limits.
There is no streaming involved. I can post the full session report and all the data is related to downloads. I am not angry I am just seeing if someone has had a similar instance and to make people aware they should keep there eyes open with things like this.
The guy at MTN mentioned streaming. If a average movie is 10gb I would need to watch 16movies in a 8 hour span to use that up. I am also not unfamiliar or a Noob when it comes to using data and how it works hence I know that in this case something doesnt add up.

RedViking

Nord of the South
This is when i stopped reading " In a nutshell I have a account with a R12,000 credit limit that is used for my daughter"
People can do with their money as they would like. I just don't understand how you just accept a bill of R150 000 for mobile data and not do anything about it.

Alacrity

Under Settings->Mobile Data there is a display "Current Period" which give you the amount of data used since your last reset of that counters.

How much does that show?

George A

People can do with their money as they would like. I just don't understand how you just accept a bill of R150 000 for mobile data and not do anything about it.
It doesnt mean I accepted it even though I paid. The way it went down they would have had me blacklisted before I knew considering the approach they took in finding a resolution. I am in a better position to fight this now and with more leverage having contract renewals in site. In essence the thread was created to see if there are similar instances or experiences and to also make people aware that the credit limit when having the account is meaningless. They through me the closing of the session story but I dont buy that and believe its left to run on purpose. On a prepaid they cut you on the last byte I dont see how this is not possible when you have run out of cents.

joker08

Under Settings->Mobile Data there is a display "Current Period" which give you the amount of data used since your last reset of that counters.

How much does that show?
It's the usage from 2 years ago

George A

Here is the classic example of how the rich operate... they have no qualms paying that.. but will moan online. And it proves that to have a lot of money you don't necessarily have to be very bright.
Thanks for the contribution. People who make lots of assumptions are generally not the brightest sparks.

RedViking

Nord of the South
It doesnt mean I accepted it even though I paid. The way it went down they would have had me blacklisted before I knew considering the approach they took in finding a resolution. I am in a better position to fight this now and with more leverage having contract renewals in site. In essence the thread was created to see if there are similar instances or experiences and to also make people aware that the credit limit when having the account is meaningless. They through me the closing of the session story but I dont buy that and believe its left to run on purpose. On a prepaid they cut you on the last byte I dont see how this is not possible when you have run out of cents.
I would see a lawyer to fight this and hear what advise they have. There is no way this should be excepted. I had an MTN contract, but there was a limit on, once I have reached it the data will cut off. You can also set your device to stop data once it reached a limit, but a kid can easily switch this off. With LTE data can be gone in an instant or add up very quickly, add to that the excessive and ridiculous out of bundle rates and you are completely screwed. I see a lot of post on the 'new' Rain network where people get billed thousands. Surely this is not right or legal. The excuse is that you have to check daily if your limit is still activated. I am sure you are not the only one, it is just sad that these people get away with it. Most people just cannot afford the legal fees to fight back and there is no protection for consumers.

If I had your kind of money I would without doubt seek legal advice.