• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

MTN R128,000 bill and how I got scammed

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
December 2016 I was paying R150 for 50GB of MTN data with 200 minutes for all networks. OP was charged 750x for using 3x the data. Heck if OP wanted to he could have spent R8000 for data bundles to cover that usage in 2015.
Or 28K on a lawyer and saved R100K.

quovadis

Expert Member
Blind response without any argument. I guess we're done here.
Your argument that it’s sleazy to charge OOB rates and it should be stopped because noone asked for it.

Mine is that the service providers set the price of the service and the conditions of service based on what be market is willing to pay. You’re not forced to use the service and don’t have to pay OOB rates by either a) Choosing an option (be it another SP or another plan/prepaid) where OOB is affordable or doesn’t exist or b) Buy a bundle and ensure to never go out of bundle.

My argument is not about the price of the OOB rate but that it’s a free market and you’re well aware of the tariff upfront. That’s not sleazy it’s the service offering - take it or leave it. There are other options elsewhere.

calypso

Expert Member
Moosedrol just doesn't get it. Can only see his onsided point of view. I think it's time wasted trying to reason with him.
Your argument that it’s sleazy to charge OOB rates and it should be stopped because noone asked for it.

Mine is that the service providers set the price of the service and the conditions of service based on what be market is willing to pay. You’re not forced to use the service and don’t have to pay OOB rates by either a) Choosing an option (be it another SP or another plan/prepaid) where OOB is affordable or doesn’t exist or b) Buy a bundle and ensure to never go out of bundle.

My argument is not about the price of the OOB rate but that it’s a free market and you’re well aware of the tariff upfront. That’s not sleazy it’s the service offering - take it or leave it. There are other options elsewhere.

George A

To the average Joe when you see credit limit every time on the top of your statement you assume that the max you can be in for. Something similar to how a overdraft will work. You giving me that much credit so thats as much as I can pay. I can see the clauses now and how they cover themselves. I still cannot understand how they cannot cut the line at that point when you can get notifications as a bundle finishes to the mb etc but when its time to get bent over at .99c per mb there is no safety net for the consumer.
I have let everything sink in over the past few days and realize that it is not necessarily MTN to blame and that it could have been a Itunes issue of some sort. Regardless the fact that you paying 1c for something up to a point and then it become 99c makes no sense in terms of any business fair value. Its like hiring a hotel room for R8000 and each hour after check out time you get a R800,000 penalty. It wont happen in the hotel industry because there are thousands of options but when you sitting with 3 and a half options they can easily collude to do this and the pricing is not market related as the consumer doesnt have too many options. Surely there must be some guidelines or consumer protection for this considering the cost when passing the limit does not change.

isie

Executive Member
To the average Joe when you see credit limit every time on the top of your statement you assume that the max you can be in for. Something similar to how a overdraft will work. You giving me that much credit so thats as much as I can pay. I can see the clauses now and how they cover themselves. I still cannot understand how they cannot cut the line at that point when you can get notifications as a bundle finishes to the mb etc but when its time to get bent over at .99c per mb there is no safety net for the consumer.
I have let everything sink in over the past few days and realize that it is not necessarily MTN to blame and that it could have been a Itunes issue of some sort. Regardless the fact that you paying 1c for something up to a point and then it become 99c makes no sense in terms of any business fair value. Its like hiring a hotel room for R8000 and each hour after check out time you get a R800,000 penalty. It wont happen in the hotel industry because there are thousands of options but when you sitting with 3 and a half options they can easily collude to do this and the pricing is not market related as the consumer doesnt have too many options. Surely there must be some guidelines or consumer protection for this considering the cost when passing the limit does not change.
you realise you comparing something that happened 2 years ago today , so yes they have done some changes, worked for me but still happens to other people
as for your second paragraph welcome to and argument we have been making for years there a whole thread argument we having on this issue with vodacom.

quovadis

Expert Member
The obvious question - are you still an MTN customer?

Corelli

Sorry hey its your fault for being stupid. This is the reason why kids should be on prepaid or topup and not the full option. Your biggest mistake. Also you got an iphone (samsung copies phone to phone via wifi). Iphone updates are also large in size.and lastly you took it with the worst provider mtn.

When my phone was stolen they had a technical failure. They only stopped it the next day and deducted 1k immediately. Refused to refund even though i was at them within 5 mina to stop it. Also my friend turned to sms roaming and it roamed data. 40k bill later, they deducted immediately.

Sorry but its your fault. Switch to telkom rather. Smoother sailing.

Corelli

But i remember when we had dialup my friend ran up a 10k telephone bill. Her parents freaked out but had to pay.

Ask for discount. MTN may give it to you. But best to move to another provider.

George A

Sorry hey its your fault for being stupid. This is the reason why kids should be on prepaid or topup and not the full option. Your biggest mistake. Also you got an iphone (samsung copies phone to phone via wifi). Iphone updates are also large in size.and lastly you took it with the worst provider mtn.

When my phone was stolen they had a technical failure. They only stopped it the next day and deducted 1k immediately. Refused to refund even though i was at them within 5 mina to stop it. Also my friend turned to sms roaming and it roamed data. 40k bill later, they deducted immediately.

Sorry but its your fault. Switch to telkom rather. Smoother sailing.
Not sure what my kid has to do with this when the bill got racked up when I had the phone. Maybe I am stupid for not switching off cellular data at the time but then and again who would imagine the data would get looped the way it did.

George A

The obvious question - are you still an MTN customer?
Contract expired and moved it to a month to month. I got a SMS saying your upgrade has been successfull and next upgrade is in 2020. Hope that is not another F up. Waiting for the new Iphone to be released and will move over to Vodacom.

Purply

Expert Member
Not having time to ready all pages, did you end up having to pay the bill @George A ?

Sorry to read about the drama, I would certainly not be a happy camper if this ever happened to me, however your story will forever stay with me for when I get new phones and the like :)

isie

Executive Member
Contract expired and moved it to a month to month. I got a SMS saying your upgrade has been successfull and next upgrade is in 2020. Hope that is not another F up. Waiting for the new Iphone to be released and will move over to Vodacom.
**** no - don't leave it!
if you didn't upgrade someone did it on your behalf !
better sort that **** out now - might be fraud

George A

Not having time to ready all pages, did you end up having to pay the bill @George A ?

Sorry to read about the drama, I would certainly not be a happy camper if this ever happened to me, however your story will forever stay with me for when I get new phones and the like :)
They put the debit order through normally at the end of the month.

If anything the thread will create more awareness of the potential worse case scenario so happy it has helped positively.