• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

MTN receives no international SMS?

Hi
Has somebody information about receiving international SMS from European cell providers with MTN.
I can not receive international SMS since December 2012. :mad:
With vodacom works fine, we test it. There is no error from the sending cells/providers in Europe. We have prepaid MTN sim cards. We can send SMS with MTN to European cells.
It looks that MTN stops international SMS receiving....??? Its a joke. Local SMS sending/receiving in SA works fine.
Many thanks for any information.
So long

Billy

Expert Member
Had a similar problem yesterday.

My son sent the same SMS to 5 cell numbers. 2 x Vodacom, 2 x MTN and 1 x 8ta. (He was testing a system)

Vodacom, 8ta and one MTN came almost immediately. The second MTN SMS is missing in inaction.

All sent from UK.

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
Ye'llo ITGuru,

Please PM me the number in question.

Regards,
MTN-Lazola
As you are here...

I recently aquired a prepaid sim. Early Dec.

It can call and send internationally, but not receive either.

It is part of a new number range. Call centre said mtn is aware of the problem. When will this be fixed.

I really do not want to hold for 30min before speaking to someone

garyc

Expert Member
Any news on this issue yet?

Have spent 4 1/2 hours on the phone to the call centre without any resolution. Finally spoke to an Engineer who contracts to them who said that it may be caused by deeper endemic problems with MTN's network.

Onyx1971

Hi
Has somebody information about receiving international SMS from European cell providers with MTN.
I can not receive international SMS since December 2012. :mad:
With vodacom works fine, we test it. There is no error from the sending cells/providers in Europe. We have prepaid MTN sim cards. We can send SMS with MTN to European cells.
It looks that MTN stops international SMS receiving....??? Its a joke. Local SMS sending/receiving in SA works fine.
Many thanks for any information.
So long

Hi there. I have had the same issue but not from Europe but Ireland. I have had this issue corrected a couple times with the help of the really awesomenly helpful DrData.

Please, please can someone help as this little lifeline between family is quite important.
Many thanks.

BBjon

In the meantime it's 2018 and I have the same problem. Sending and receiving SMSes in SA not an issue, but not receiving from Europe. This has been ongoing for many months now and resulted in me being cut off from my online bank account overseas (tried 3x and out!) MTN suggested all kinds of add-ons to my MTN account, nothing helped. I suspect it's to do with the new iPhone contract that I got last year. It's not the new phone itself 'cause when I put the SIM card back into the old phone, SMS still didn't work.. It's just crazy, no-one seems technically competent at MTN to sort it out!