MTN says 28% contract price hike in line with Treating Customers Fairly Policy

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member

Dups!

Expert Member
Oh, Jackie!

Those network upgrades didn't come cheap, they have to be paid for.

now05ster

Expert Member
It sounds as though their comms were not comprehensive at best or at worst, deceptive.

I don't see how this can be in line with TCF.

cda

Same old MTN scumbaggery.

If you want to get out of your contract just ask them to produce the signed copy. 9/10 times they cant

mikewazar

I can't complain much tho I've been paying like R299 for 300GB since like 2017 lol

Reactions: Yuu

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
In line where?

https://group.mtn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/MTN-position-on-Treating-Customers-Fairly.pdf (PDF)

MTN’s position on Treating Customers Fairly

How MTN and our partners treat our customers is an issue we take seriously. Over the past few years, many Value-Added Service Providers (VASPs) or Wireless Application Service Providers (WASPs) have come on board to offer value-added or premium services to our customers, using a combination of platforms. Examples of such services include basic text information such as news and weather alerts and more advanced content services such as games, music and videos available on mobile sites, apps and the internet.

Our Treating Customers Fairly Approach
As the number of services offered to our customers by MTN or our partners continue to increase, it is important that our customers remain aware of the costs they incur, the services they use and how to control and remove access to these services. To facilitate transparency and customer control, we have developed a framework ensuring that our customers are treated fairly. The framework sets the mandatory requirements for implementation in key customer service processes in all MTN operations.

Our Treating Customers Fairly Pricing Information Guideline
For once-off transactions, subscription services, promotional competitions, contact and/or dating services and all other services, we as MTN will strive to provide the following to our customers:
• Pricing information that is not misleading.
• The full retail price of the service, including VAT.
• There will be no hidden costs over and above the price included in the pricing information.

Our Treating Customers Fairly Aspects
As an MTN customer, the implementation of our TCF policy requires that all our customers have the ability to authenticate their access to MTN services and any related third party. MTN customers have the below services available to them:
• Choose their subscription offers by receiving a confirmation message which enables them to opt-in to a specific service;
• Set ‘do not disturb’ messages to restrict promotional or unsolicited messages;
• Receive subscription renewal notifications and supporting requests to unsubscribe from services using all reasonable terms such as “cancel”, “stop”, etc.

Our Do Not Disturb (DND) - customer management allows our customers to restrict and manage their promotional messages or block all promotional or unsolicited messages. Our customers are also provided with simple options of managing their status.

Not all notification messages will be subject to DND to ensure our customers receive all service related notifications such as Welcome Messages, Reminder Messages, Services Usage Notifications, Subscription Renewal Notifications, and Service Termination Notifications.

Welcome messages to our customers are sent for various activities including when SIM cards and subscriptions are activated, and when customers roam on other networks. This assures our customers that they are aware of activities on their handsets and can notify MTN in the event of any concerns regarding possible fraudulent activity.

As an MTN customer who accepts our free trials, you will have control of whether you want to subscribe to this service at the end of the trial period.

Welcome and reminder messages will not be sent between 9pm and 7am to avoid disturbing our customers or customers not being aware of these messages being received late at night or early in the morning.

The Rights of Customers
To make certain that our customers understand their rights and are treated fairly, each of our country operations can use market-relevant and widely understood words and language while ensuring compliance with the overall framework.

MTN reserves the right to change the TCF policy to ensure it always complies with it’s License and Regulatory conditions in each country of operation and will update customers accordingly.

They pointed to the policy to send the reader on a wild goose chase.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
PR 101: Confuse the enemy.

Since policies goes both ways I can point to this,

There will be no hidden costs over and above the price included in the pricing information.

and I can argue that the increase is a hidden cost, but then they will go,

MTN reserves the right to change the TCF policy to ensure it always complies with it’s License and Regulatory conditions in each country of operation and will update customers accordingly.

and then update me on a need-to-know basis. I have already decided to change service. I will keep my prepaid with them.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I don't like it at all. It's only fair from MTN's perspective.

Increase prices more than what they advertise and say it's fair. Fair for who?

Cancelling contracts have some penalties attached to them. Fair to who?

Allowed to increase prices mid contract. Fair to who?

Everything is in favour of MTN nothing in favour of the consumer...