MTN sending SMS to customers with Debit order saying payment not received

hongkongpom

This morning my wife & mother-in-law received a SMS from MTN saying payment not received despite them having Debit Orders with MTN.
Do not pay MTN!

Number Six

My elderly mum got the SMS at like 2am. Major panic stations. Thanks for nothing MTN.

zophas

Expert Member
I received the same SMS at 2am last night and again a few minutes ago. I was at the MTN shop today and some geeky kid tells me it's an error on MTN's side and don't worry about it. Some blah blah about February having 28 days etc. Never had this problem all the previous years and I have had the contract for ages.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Received my 2nd SMS stating that I will be unable to make calls until my account is settled.

Checked this morning, and my debit order sure was processed.

The best part is that MTN has done nothing to engage with their customers regarding this issue. How many have actually double paid their last month bill due to this issue?

Bad practice MTN, bad practice.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
While we here , it is possible to pay MTN contracts with a credit card. I tried to set option using app but it only allows normal banking accounts.

I have been moving my monthly payments to CC to provide help with ebucks spend and provide some protection should things like this happen where they take money twice, etc. At least with a CC, you can get them to pull it back easier (as far as I know because VISA/MasterCard get involved if there is a dispute?)

isie

Honorary Master
While we here , it is possible to pay MTN contracts with a credit card. I tried to set option using app but it only allows normal banking accounts.

I have been moving my monthly payments to CC to provide help with ebucks spend and provide some protection should things like this happen where they take money twice, etc. At least with a CC, you can get them to pull it back easier (as far as I know because VISA/MasterCard get involved if there is a dispute?)
I use the app and it accepts my credit card?

I stopped paying a debit order with them years ago - I cannot trust them to debit correctly funnily enough I stopped because they under debited and then put a stink as if I didn't pay :( so i decided to pay at store - and since lockdown on their app, and after my past experience with them Im glad I stopped the debit order .

RedViking

Nord of the South
I sent them a please call me back with a "get free Shakira ringtone for only R1 a day". They didn't bite.

KinsZA

Expert Member
I'll add my name to the list of people who have been debited and got their 2nd warning sms.

hongkongpom

My mother-in-law called us this morning that she received another SMS that she won't be able to make calls if she doesn't settle her bill.
Sort out your Debit order problem MTN!

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
As received a moment ago,

Y'ello valued customer, on Monday, 1 March an SMS was sent in error due to a technical glitch on our system. Please ignore if your account has been debited. We apologise for the inconvenience caused. MTN

Inn3rs3lf

Expert Member
Get it myself. Often.

To add, if you pay through the app - it doesn't reflect on MTN's side for 2 weeks. Found that out through one of the call center agents. Kept getting my phone turned off due to non-payment, kept sending through the proof. Happened about 4-5 times in the space of a week and a half.