MTN slashes prepaid out-of-bundle data prices

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
MTN slashes prepaid out-of-bundle data prices

MTN announced that it has cut its out-of-bundle data rate by up to 75% for prepaid customers.

The operator said prepaid customers not making use of data bundles will only pay R0.29 per MB for data usage, while customers who purchase data bundles will now pay R0.49 per MB for out-of-bundle usage.

phly

Expert Member
Interesting ... now we are heading somewhere.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
The operator said prepaid customers not making use of data bundles will only pay R0.29 per MB for data usage, while customers who purchase data bundles will now pay R0.49 per MB for out-of-bundle usage.
*Facepalms* talk about doing things the wrong way around, clearly this is to force people to buy more data bundles.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Wait a minute!if you buy a data bundle you will charged more for OOB (49c) than someone who didn't buy a data bundle(29c)
The real question is, how long do you have to wait after you have used a bundle before it becomes the cheap rate...

DXL

Expert Member
Wait a minute!if you buy a data bundle you will charged more for OOB (49c) than someone who didn't buy a data bundle(29c)
Yes I spotted that too ! its South Africa everyones gone mad. :)

SilverCode

... or use someone like Axxess or Afrihost and pay R0.10 per mb out of bundle.

netstrider

Also struggling to wrap my head around this. Perhaps they got the wording wrong.

Swa

Honorary Master
The real question is, how long do you have to wait after you have used a bundle before it becomes the cheap rate...
MTN has this nasty habit of bundles still being valid after you've used them. I remember in 2006 you had to wait 30 days before being able to buy another. This is just mind boggling if true.