MTN Smart S phone is a disappointing stripped down JioPhone

Sane765

Anyone else with this phone keeps getting a notification and when you open it says "Operator Message" and then blank?
Keep getting this every few minutes, any idea how to get stop it/get rid of it?

Mr Scratch

Expert Member
A bit disappointing it doesn't support Whatsapp Web, but otherwise very glad to keep this in my car as a backup phone w/ R50 airtime.

akescpt

Honorary Master
WhatsApp doesn’t have emojis. I mean wtf. Seriously.

Need to recycle memory often. No videos over 6/8mb on wazzup. Can’t reply on a specific message in WhatsApp. The basic functionality that is missing just pisses me off.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Is there an email app? Can't seem to find it. The Nokia Matrix phone has one.

WhatsApp doesn’t have emojis. I mean wtf. Seriously.

Need to recycle memory often. No videos over 6/8mb on wazzup. Can’t reply on a specific message in WhatsApp. The basic functionality that is missing just pisses me off.
That's great. Hate them.

warwickw

Expert Member
Anyone else with this phone keeps getting a notification and when you open it says "Operator Message" and then blank?

I get that as well, it's bloody annoying as it wakes up the screen each time so kills the battery quickly.
Considering this is a backup phone its not going to bother me.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I get that as well, it's bloody annoying as it wakes up the screen each time so kills the battery quickly.
Considering this is a backup phone its not going to bother me.
Seems it's if you get a voicemail. Will check tonight if it goes away after I listen to the message.

Rum Zacapa

Ja nee - it's been a crappy cheap phone for the last 2 months. Don't even try to reply to a whatsapp because that's not the way these things work. T9 fokof! On the plus side this piece of Scheiße works great as a music player once I plug it into some decent speakers. Call quality is not bad either. Best part is when I switch off all the crap I should not need in the first place like data, BT etc. my battery drain is like 3% per day which will make this the greatest warrior phone in deepest darkest Kaokoland when I need to get to a local cellphone mast to make an emergency call. ****ing GREAT! battery life as in 33 days. This is a keeper big time for when I need it. Well done MTN Smart shits.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Ja nee - it's been a crappy cheap phone for the last 2 months. Don't even try to reply to a whatsapp because that's not the way these things work. T9 fokof! On the plus side this piece of Scheiße works great as a music player once I plug it into some decent speakers. Call quality is not bad either. Best part is when I switch off all the crap I should not need in the first place like data, BT etc. my battery drain is like 3% per day which will make this the greatest warrior phone in deepest darkest Kaokoland when I need to get to a local cellphone mast to make an emergency call. ****ing GREAT! battery life as in 33 days. This is a keeper big time for when I need it. Well done MTN Smart shits.
So a fan or not?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
My second one is also just shutting down by itself forcing a battery pull. Anyone know when KaiOS 3 is coming out?

JoE

I've had one for the past month after struggling to find stock in any MTN store I visited since the device launched. My current use for the device is making calls on my personal number, whatsapp with family and friends only and a media/podcast player. Like the others have said, you can't fault the device at R249 for what it brings but these are my key findings (I'll update as I go along):

CONS:

1. The simlock is a p035 move by MTN and they push sms content on a daily basis to their sim regardless of how many times you opt out. Restricting the second sim to edge is just the cherry on top

2. Memory is rubbish which makes browsing unpleasant and a waste of time frankly often leading to the phone or app crashing.

3. Don't use facebook and twitter (can't delete twitter). Apps not optimised for the device and doesn't work well.

4. Can't configure quick access items to what you require.

5. Audio player plays all audio (can't create own playlists) and take preference on BT players often playing on its own when playing other media from the device.

6. App store severely lacking anything of substance but it is growing albeit at a snails pace.

7. Cant personalise your device with custom wallpapers and ringtones. This seems to be something MTN has implemented (don’t know why) as other KaiOS devices can do that. Only way I could change wallpapers and ringtones was via an app.

PROS:

1. Whatsapp works (limited functionality) but does the messaging thing its meant to do. You can't whatsapp call but voice notes work. Any other questions on this I can answer over DMs.

2. T9 is not an ideal input but i the predictive text can be worked on to adapt to personal words and suggestions it would be very effective.

3. PC connection and the file browser are surprisingly efficient.

4. Wireless connectivity is easy with no issues.

5. Battery life is 3 days (4 if you have a weekend in between).

6. Google assistant works well but don't expect it to work with your home devices.

7. This device is solid. Took a drop from my second floor balcony to my pool area and had minor scuffs (the battery case opened) but still woks perfectly.

8. A great device to increase productivity as it significantly reduces the amount of time you spend on your phone.

Last edited:

blunt

Expert Member
I just turned my mtn smart s back on after it being off for a few months and the MTN sim card is no longer registering on the network, obviously due to me never using it.

My domestic came back from her leave sans-phone so I am going to let her use this but she's on Cell C. If I leave the dead MTN sim card in slot 1 and put a Cell C sim card into slot 2 it still works just fine. Can receive calls, can do whatsapp (data works - 2G only as mentioned earlier) - so at least there is kind of a way around it.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Putting a Meandyou mobile (Cell C sim) in the second slot I just get SIM locked. Noice thanks MTN. You should suck a tailpipe and die.