MTN status on eSIM, VoLTE (iPhone) and WifiCalling

Sayf777

Expert Member
I stand to be corrected, but I think someone mentioned that vodacom vowifi only works when the vodacom signal is poor. So chances are that when the vodacom sim didnt have vowifi, there was good vodacom signal. But I dont have too much experience outside of MTN and Cell C vowifi.
This is correct for samsungs since it doesn't have a WiFi preferred option under WiFi calling settings.

bwtodd

Anyone winning with MTN WiFi Calling functionality on iPhone just yet?? Thanks
Passively optimistic. Just updated to iOS 14 and the network provider has been updated to 42.0.

Attachments

• D535FB2B-EFA8-42DB-A9C3-52CFE05C970F.jpeg
    D535FB2B-EFA8-42DB-A9C3-52CFE05C970F.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 31

bwtodd

Your home ISP should not matter though?
:unsure:
Point of it is that it should work as long as you have an active WiFi connection on the phone even overseas , at least on our vodacom phones its working that way
One thing I just remember on this topic. While I was on CellC using WiFi calling, I tried switching to 1.1.1.1 for DNS privacy (away from 8.8.8.8). As soon as I did that CellC WiFi calling stopped working.
I wonder if these different ISPs aren’t pointing to a DNS issue. The phone should be requesting a tunnel from inside your network, so you don’t need to poke holes in any firewall as est/related should always be allowed out.

Last edited:

Fcon_Vpro

Expert Member
One thing I just remember on this topic. While I was on CellC using WiFi calling, I tried switching to 1.1.1.1 for DNS privacy (away from 8.8.8.8). As soon as I did that CellC WiFi calling stopped working.
I wonder if these different ISPs aren’t pointing to a DNS issue. The phone should be requesting a tunnel from inside your network, so you don’t need to poke holes in any firewall as est/related should always be allowed out.
I'm on 1.1.1.1 and cell c VoWifi working fine. Might have been true in the past but now all seems fine.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Anyone else just magically have VoWIFI and VoLTE activated on their MTN prepaid sim this morning? I've got a Huawei P10 Pro dual sim phone (non-MTN branded bought from Takealot) and all of a sudden out of nowhere VoWIFI and VoLTE have both started working on my phone. I was under the impression they would only work if you had a phone that had the MTN firmware loaded on it, but it seems now that they work regardless.

bwtodd

I'm on 1.1.1.1 and cell c VoWifi working fine. Might have been true in the past but now all seems fine.
Must’ve been corrected on 1.1.1.1 but I also switched from CellC a year ago. Point I’m trying to make is that it could be a DNS issue, was just using my experience as an example.

iDOL

Expert Member
Greetings Folks anyone able to direct me to the process to get an MTN eSim setup and working please.

isie

Honorary Master
Ok I even googled and looked at opening ports on my route still doesn't help
so I started testing when visiting friends and family and making note
It worked was via a LTE routers on Cell C (well standard bank mobile), Vodacom and MTN as for Fibre ISP's it worked on Afrihost (Vumatel), MyownISP (SADV) and Vox (SADV)

I actually logged this with My ISP (Mind the speed ) and getting some feedback from them on testing - not sure if it will get resolved but they got a few MTN and vodacom sims and they getting the same as me works on Vodacom but not MTN.
I also noticed it doesn't seem to work on Telkom ISP (Openserve )

cobusv

im also keen to get the VoWIFI working on MTN, if anyone knows when this will be available?

Cost Conscious

I bought an MTN starter pack this morning. Cost me R10!

I asked the MTN employee in their Rosebank store how to activate VoWiFi calling and she said she had never heard of it.

I asked MTN on Twitter - they said call 135

Why do people think MTN is so great?

I am currently with Cell C on Prepaid and have VoWiFi calling active.

MTN 'customer care' staff don't know what day of the week it is and appear grossly ignorant of MTN's functionality. Still, if you pay peanuts, you get ? (the staff you deserve)

The SIM I purchased this morning has already stopped working and I can't even call 135 to get support. I only bought the SIM to test if they offered VoWifi. My findings indicate they do not and do not even know what it is!

Footnote: my SIM is now working again. Seems that activating SMS roaming might have knocked it off although MTN CC did reset my SIM...

Last edited: