MTN status on eSIM, VoLTE (iPhone) and WifiCalling

Leno

Expert Member
Had a carrier update this morning but didnt notice any new features

MTN 45.1

Sayf777

Expert Member
Cell C seem to be readying an esim launch (they have a page for terms and conditions when searching for esim cell c on Google) and according to their terms and conditions it can use the same QR code on a new device after delinking the current profile (better imo then MTN/Voda's implementation.

Sayf777

Expert Member
For those who can test, if you don't mind try to make a phonecall from your lte watch (when connected via lte not via Bluetooth or wifi) and see if it works please?

When dialing any number even if I'm dialing 132 (voicemail) it's says number not valid.

Supercarfan

For those who can test, if you don't mind try to make a phonecall from your lte watch (when connected via lte not via Bluetooth or wifi) and see if it works please?

When dialing any number even if I'm dialing 132 (voicemail) it's says number not valid.
Bugger, seem to be getting the same.

Supercarfan

Thanks alot for checking. Mtn are really incompetent, messing/messed up both eSim and voWifi.
Yeah, seems like their backend not as robust as it should be. When I have two MTN sims active on my phone (eSim for Data, physical primary calls) and both are set to use LTE then data speeds go down the toilet. Setting voice line to 3G only resolves it, but then you don't get HD voice via VoLTE.

And the only reason I have this dual sim setup in the first place is because I can no longer setup data share from my data contract since I have the watch's eSim linked to my primary number....

BTW, have logged the outgoing call issue with them, will feedback if anyone gets back to me.

Last edited:

FAZE MAZE

I have been having this same issue for the last couple of weeks and wondered if it was only me until i stumbled upon this thread.

Cannot make calls from my GW4 Classic LTE when only connected via LTE. Get an error saying "The number you have dialled is incorrect..." :(

I did test this functionality on the day i finally got it activated, and it worked on the day via LTE connection only. But when need arose to use during December, it did not work and has not since.

neoprema

Executive Member
Thanks alot for checking. Mtn are really incompetent, messing/messed up both eSim and voWifi.
I don't think its incompetence its money. They know they can make a lot of money off forcing us to Roam when overseas instead of allowing Wi-Fi calling over a network.

The eSim thing too, there's probably still more money to be made on stupid plastic sims. MTN is always about money, its all they interested in and its all they chase.

Supercarfan

I have been having this same issue for the last couple of weeks and wondered if it was only me until i stumbled upon this thread.

Cannot make calls from my GW4 Classic LTE when only connected via LTE. Get an error saying "The number you have dialled is incorrect..." :(

I did test this functionality on the day i finally got it activated, and it worked on the day via LTE connection only. But when need arose to use during December, it did not work and has not since.
Just followed up on the on the ticket I logged with them last week, no feedback yet. They say they don't know what's wrong as no one else has reported similar issues.

If possible, lets all log it with them. The more people report it the better. This is the type of service you don't typically use every day, but I'd like it to work in case I don't have my phone on me. No point paying the additional R25 per month otherwise.

FYI, only way to get straight to the technical department is to call 135, select option 2, then 3 then 0.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Just followed up on the on the ticket I logged with them last week, no feedback yet. They say they don't know what's wrong as no one else has reported similar issues.

If possible, lets all log it with them. The more people report it the better. This is the type of service you don't typically use every day, but I'd like it to work in case I don't have my phone on me. No point paying the additional R25 per month otherwise.

FYI, only way to get straight to the technical department is to call 135, select option 2, then 3 then 0.
Will do so,

Does anyone else's watches when on LTE need to cool down (go in flight mode), quite often ?

Supercarfan

@FAZE MAZE and @Sayf777, heads up seems like LTE calls from my watch work again!

Had a brief heart attack though. After I turned off bluetooth on my phone to test it, my watch said there's no eSim loaded. Turned bluetooth back on, checked in the Watch app, and the plan was still there. Then back on the watch it appeared again. Wonder if they reset my eSim somehow. As usual I got no actual feedback from MTN on the ticket that was logged...

Sayf777

Expert Member
@FAZE MAZE and @Sayf777, heads up seems like LTE calls from my watch work again!

Had a brief heart attack though. After I turned off bluetooth on my phone to test it, my watch said there's no eSim loaded. Turned bluetooth back on, checked in the Watch app, and the plan was still there. Then back on the watch it appeared again. Wonder if they reset my eSim somehow. As usual I got no actual feedback from MTN on the ticket that was logged...
Will you please check if your volte on your phone for the same sim is working?

My one stopped working and the only difference from two other similar contracts is that I have an esim.

Also when I contacted customer care to deactivate and reactivate the volte they said they can't as I got an esim active, hence I think its linked

Supercarfan

Will you please check if your volte on your phone for the same sim is working?

My one stopped working and the only difference from two other similar contracts is that I have an esim.

Also when I contacted customer care to deactivate and reactivate the volte they said they can't as I got an esim active, hence I think its linked
Option to enable VoLTE is still available on my iPhone’s sim. iPhone sim is a physical sim in my case.

Sayf777

Expert Member
Option to enable VoLTE is still available on my iPhone’s sim. iPhone sim is a physical sim in my case.
Yip, mine is a physical sim on the phone and has volte as an option but enabling it does nothing unfortunately and in turn my WiFi calling is not working.

FAZE MAZE

It's alive! Lols

I tested it yesterday (no connection to phone but making phone call from watch) and again today in a different area to make sure it wasn't cell tower specific, and I can confirm as well, it is working once more

Supercarfan

Yip, mine is a physical sim on the phone and has volte as an option but enabling it does nothing unfortunately and in turn my WiFi calling is not working.
I see. I just tested a call and seems like it does drop down to 3G. Not sure if it worked before though as I have to leave my voice line on 3G only otherwise my LTE speeds on my MTN data eSim get completely tanked.

Never even knew wifi calling was active on MTN! Where do you see the option to enable? Does the service also need to be manually provisioned by customer service?

Sayf777

Expert Member
I see. I just tested a call and seems like it does drop down to 3G. Not sure if it worked before though as I have to leave my voice line on 3G only otherwise my LTE speeds on my MTN data eSim get completely tanked.

Never even knew wifi calling was active on MTN! Where do you see the option to enable? Does the service also need to be manually provisioned by customer service?
It's been working on Android only for a while, not iOS yet