MTN suspends all "off-deck" marketing due to massive WASP fraud

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

ab-user

That is great, but MTN still eat my MTN data while I'm exclusively using the Afrihost APN...

Budza

Executive Member
That is great, but MTN still eat my MTN data while I'm exclusively using the Afrihost APN...
Really? I'll need to see how my AH SIM is behaving.

Haven't noticed anything unusual yet...

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
This is what happens when you use a wireless carriers pre-installed bloatwear instead of just disabling it, or instead simply investing in a carrier free and unlocked device.

DTBA

Expert Member
This is what happens when you use a wireless carriers pre-installed bloatwear instead of just disabling it, or instead simply investing in a carrier free and unlocked device.
Had this happen on a old nokia that cant even run anything on it, ALSO mybb tested it with a clean phone so I have no clue how this is related

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
Had this happen on a old nokia that cant even run anything on it, ALSO mybb tested it with a clean phone so I have no clue how this is related
Yeah, I dunno how people even manage to subscribe to a WASP. It has to be something they're clicking on and shouldn't.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Some devices have more than one place to change the APN. Double check that else you could stay frustrated forever no matter what they do.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yeah, I dunno how people even manage to subscribe to a WASP. It has to be something they're clicking on and shouldn't.
If you read the articles around this you would realise no user is subscribing to anything, and the criminals are just subscribing other people themselves.

ab-user

Some devices have more than one place to change the APN. Double check that else you could stay frustrated forever no matter what they do.
All 3 places are set to afrihost. Mobile data APN, MMS APN and Hotspot APN.
MTN still 'eats' my data.

R13...

Honorary Master
I ported my number from MTN to Voda and keep receiving these sms that they're unable to bill me for content services. Suckers obviously subscribed me to some crap.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
If you read the articles around this you would realise no user is subscribing to anything, and the criminals are just subscribing other people themselves.
No, the only articles I read about the problem is on myBB. I don't read every tech article published on the web but maybe you do. I simply don't have the time, patience or inclination.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
No, the only articles I read about the problem is on myBB. I don't read every tech article published on the web but maybe you do. I simply don't have the time, patience or inclination.
I'm talking about the other MyBB articles.