MTN told it misled customer in important advertising board ruling about limited-stock freebies

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
MTN nailed for misleading Samsung promotion

The Advertising Regulatory Board (ARB) has ruled that MTN misled customers with a Samsung Galaxy S22 promotion promising subscribers a free 25W charger with a cellphone contract.

The complaint was brought before the ARB by Jayden Gelman, who explained that once he received the phone, MTN informed him that the offer was only available while stocks lasted and were limited to the first 1,000 customers.

Shouldn't CSPs be HEAVILY fined like they did in Nigeria ?
Clients are charged heavily for unpaid debit orders that have yo be resubmitted BUT don't get a refund for outages and poor network quality.

They did this twice already that im aware of with Samsung buds promotions

Ah yes, I see the "limited to the first 1000 customers" on that picture. Maybe print it bigger next time.

If you've got millions of 30 percenters or less intelligence using your network this kind of advertising must bring in shitloads of money. Mobile operators just using customer stupidity to their advantage.

The Advertising Regulatory Board was set up by the broader marketing and communications industry to protect the South African consumer through the self-regulation of advertising...
I don't see any nailing powers here...?

Does the media apply any of these guidelines to decide whether or not run ads?

Shouldn't CSPs be HEAVILY fined like they did in Nigeria ?
Clients are charged heavily for unpaid debit orders that have yo be resubmitted BUT don't get a refund for outages and poor network quality.
By the provider or the bank?

I don't see any nailing powers here...?

Does the media apply any of these guidelines to decide whether or not run ads?
It feels more like a polite slap on the wrist.

It feels more like a polite slap on the wrist.
ASA does nothing more than telling people to withdraw ads or stop making ads in that line. All ASA actions are teethless by design - they don't have any real power but they can say they self-regulate.

MTN your PO3S.

Can't wait for the day you start selling phones without batteries. Kunts.

Back