MTN Unlimited 5G - Fair usage rules and throttling speeds explained

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member
MTN Unlimited 5G - Fair usage rules and throttling speeds explained

MTN recently launched its 5G network in South Africa, which includes contracts on a range of 5G smartphones and devices.

MTN's 5G offering is divided into two main categories - MTN 5G Wi-Fi and MTN 5G mobile.

One of the products available under its Wi-Fi selection is a 5G Unlimited Data plan, which offers uncapped data on a 24- or 36-month contract.

werny

Expert Member
Pretty much a useless product, who is retarded enough to even sign up for it? :unsure:

A 500GB cap (no night time nonsense) would have been sufficient, and just barely so at 5G speeds.

I sometimes wonder who thinks out these data caps at the mobile operators, don't they have any idea what the real world usage is out there? Do they really think 200GB is enough on a high-speed connection? I know someone doing way more than that on a simple 10Mbps ADSL line. :thumbsdown:

richjdavies

" Once the 200GB anytime fair use cap has been reached, the connection will be throttled to a speed of 1Mbps "

Hahaha... why even bother! You could use up 200GB in 53minutes at the maximum speed.

Vorastra

Expert Member
Holy fek that's completely useless. From hero to zero in no seconds at all.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
3/4/5G is taking over from DSL with all the FUP nonsense.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
200GB is plenty for a lot of people. But a 1Mbps throttle is basically worthless. It should be something usable, like 5Mbps, so at least people can do 1080p streaming.

Craig

Honorary Master
MTN explained that the Unlimited Data plan’s 400GB FUP is split into 200GB anytime and 200GB Night Express data.
200gb, on a two year contract at R1200+, anytime data, are these people crazy? I'm using over 150gb a month on rain, at speeds of 10mbps, I'd run through that 200gb within two weeks at 5g speeds. Not even talking about their ridiculous 36 month contract.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
200GB is plenty for a lot of people. But a 1Mbps throttle is basically worthless. It should be something usable, like 5Mbps, so at least people can do 1080p streaming.
Once you give people decent broadband speeds, 200GB is nowhere near good enough.

I don't even do anything hectic on my fibre line at home and I'm burning through 700GB a month.. Streaming takes a lot of bandwidth.

Zarnicate

Anything that has a 2year + contract is nonsense for any connection. Understood for fiber there is some trenching required which incurs a cost however most the cost is recovered over time with a smallish exit fee.

For any wireless connection it is complete utter nonsense. What cost is involved there, especially if you have your own router.

So why tie yourself down for 3 years. Cant move easily when something better/cheaper comes along.

I had a Telkom Uncapped LTE which was great in the beginning but then got oversubscribed and got completely useless. Luckily got fiber but hmm stuck in 2 year contract. Huge cancellation fees.

So bottom line if it is not month to month it is crap.

Fjorko

Expert Member
Once you give people decent broadband speeds, 200GB is nowhere near good enough.

I don't even do anything hectic on my fibre line at home and I'm burning through 700GB a month.. Streaming takes a lot of bandwidth.
Exactly !

Fjorko

Expert Member
Unfortunately MTN will trick/trap/collude the uninformed poor souls out there thinking they are getting a "special" deal - not knowing any better - and MTN KNOWS this.

Zarnicate

Most FUPs are also pointless. Example for some you get 200Gb then get throttled.
Example: Everybody uses their 200GB then end of the month the system is idling because everybody is throttled.

If the system is constrained throttle the top users when it isn't constrained full speed again.

whatwhat

Executive Member
lol.
In Taiwan you buy uncapped 5G based on speed - 500Mbps, 1Gbps or 1.5Gbps with no cap.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
:unsure: So the Advertising Regulatory Board says “unlimited” suggests no limitations should be expected, MTN/Rain says that's nice but we're going to ignore that, and that's it?