MTN's insane SMS charges for Europe..

neoprema

Expert Member
So we have a family member who goes to the same country in Europe for the past 10 years.

For many years we've been using MTN SMS Roaming and they send SMS to South Africa from their MTN Prepaid phone at R2.50 per SMS.

This year they've been complaining their airtime keeps running out quickly. I've investigated now that i'm here with their phone and MTN is charging R10.00 per SMS!

Any idea why this is? I've checked on MTN's website and it says R2.50 from this country to South Africa.

Not sure what could be causing it?

marioat1

Expert Member
So we have a family member who goes to the same country in Europe for the past 10 years.

For many years we've been using MTN SMS Roaming and they send SMS to South Africa from their MTN Prepaid phone at R2.50 per SMS.

This year they've been complaining their airtime keeps running out quickly. I've investigated now that i'm here with their phone and MTN is charging R10.00 per SMS!

Any idea why this is? I've checked on MTN's website and it says R2.50 from this country to South Africa.

Not sure what could be causing it?
Check the charge on the roaming partner site and factor in the exchange rate

neoprema

Expert Member
Check the charge on the roaming partner site and factor in the exchange rate
Thanks but MTNs rates never tracked exchange rates? If their site said R2.50 per sms it was R2.50 regardless of Rand fluctuation.

Also my contract phone on MTN is sending the same and being billed R2.50

This is specific to prepaid it seems. I tried another prepaid it also got billed R10.00
But my MTN contract phone is being billed R2.50

travcaine

You are on the same network right? Which country? I had a look on MTN website and there are networks that charge R10 on prepaid to send SMS to SA.

neoprema

Expert Member
You are on the same network right? Which country? I had a look on MTN website and there are networks that charge R10 on prepaid to send SMS to SA.
Hey, i'm sending from Vodafone GR to MTN ZA.

This is what their website says (See screenshot)

i tested again: from my CONTRACT phone on MTN roaming on Vodafone GR I sent an SMS - my detailed billing shows R2.50

from the PREPAID MTN phone roaming on Vodafone GR I sent an SMS - balance before SMS is R75.80 - balance after SMS is R65.80 ...

So R10 on the prepaid phone and R2.50 on the contract phone?!?! :mad:

Attachments