MTN's insanity of charging extra for LTE

LTE is so overhyped it isn't funny.

Don't know anyone who is getting >20Mb/s on a regular basis.

Predicts MTN making a killing because SA consumers "in general" are so apathetic.

Might seem like madness, but is it? 50% of the MTN users will actually fall for this just to get "Better speeds and latency"...

To support 3G, will the towers be two separate towers? So you will hav an LTE tower and a 3G tower, or is it the same tower? I am asking, since if everyone moves over to LTE and I stick to 3G, may contention contention will be much lower, or will it be a case of LTE or 2G and not LTE or 3G in future?

Well, good luck, Vodacom's LTE is much slower than 3G.

So why pay extra ?

At a throttled maximum speed (eg. 7.2Mbps), the mathematics around pricing of uncapped (or soft-capped) mobile data products starts to make sense.

Unfortunately it doesn't make sense for them. 7.2mbps wil never ever be allowed as an uncapped account, uncapped will be expensive and limited to maybe max 384

If I have an iPhone 5 LTE contract with data bundles do I still need to pay extra.
I am being prompted to update carrier settings to LTE so why should there be a separate cost?

Hmmm something like a 1Mbps or 2Mbps uncapped product at a competitive price(R300 for 1Mbps and R500 for 2Mbps) to ADSL at the same speeds should sell really well. Then they just need to slap on a fair AUP for the users and them and they'll still be able to make money on it and by fair AUP I'm thinking something like if you do more than 50GB per month on 1Mbps they kick you off or severely limit your download speed. Another idea cold be high capped products at limited speed, so 50GB at 1Mbps for R300-R500/m

Jannie are you listening?

If I have an iPhone 5 LTE contract with data bundles do I still need to pay extra.
I am being prompted to update carrier settings to LTE so why should there be a separate cost?

Cause eMpTyN has a nice jar of lube ready to shove the umbrella up your arse and open it.

Hmmm something like a 1Mbps or 2Mbps uncapped product at a competitive price(R300 for 1Mbps and R500 for 2Mbps) to ADSL at the same speeds should sell really well. Then they just need to slap on a fair AUP for the users and them and they'll still be able to make money on it and by fair AUP I'm thinking something like if you do more than 50GB per month on 1Mbps they kick you off or severely limit your download speed. Another idea cold be high capped products at limited speed, so 50GB at 1Mbps for R300-R500/m

Jannie are you listening?

Uncapped wireless is a really difficult thing to make work, if at all. I'm not talking about the cost of data per se, but rather the resource allocation issues on the radio interface.

~ 15MB/s in and around the house (Sandton area). 15 to 60Mb/s at work.

Heart of this Voda boss who got a 3g tower erected near his holiday house just for him. [Victoria bay]. Think similar story here.

Uncapped wireless is a really difficult thing to make work, if at all. I'm not talking about the cost of data per se, but rather the resource allocation issues on the radio interface.

Ok, so what about high capped limited speed products or same issues?

Would it be more viable if people didn't go apesh.t trying to download the internet with any product that says uncapped in SA?

Could the subscription fee be a layer of protection helping you not to burn through your 1 GB bundle in a few minutes?

I don't have a LTE phone so this probably does not affect me, but where I live most networks don't have decent reception, never mind high speed data.

MTN have been making some very poor business decisions on the local front as of late. Poor enough that I have to wonder how long until they see negative customer growth in SA. In the rest of Africa they seem to be going pretty strong, though.

On a more distressing note, while MTN have been doing their best to get rid of customers, Hilton has been rolling out a number of well thought out, insightful articles where Apple is hardly mentioned at all. Or it could be that I'm just getting old. Next thing you now I'll be buying iProducts and wearing cloths ironically in public.

Back