Muhammed and the Satanic Verses.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
When the book was released by Salman Rushdie there was an immediate outcry from the Islamic world. A death sentence was placed on the author.

Not knowing much about the history of Islam nor having read the book, I for one thought Rushdie was purposefully trying to incite and anger the Muslim world.

This is until I did some research recently and discovered there is some merit to the authors claim.

My question is how do muslims in the modern era respond to the so called Satanic Verses?

Everyone is now privy to the hadith entries that prove Muhammed was seduced by the devil or was he just a false prophet who made a booboo?

Cray

Honorary Master
I did not know this...

With police protection, Rushdie escaped direct physical harm, but others associated with his book have suffered violent attacks. Hitoshi Igarashi, his Japanese translator, was stabbed to death on 11 July 1991. Ettore Capriolo, the Italian translator, was seriously injured in a stabbing in Milan on 3 July 1991.[15] William Nygaard, the publisher in Norway, was shot three times in an attempted assassination in Oslo in October 1993
Vile :mad:

Solarion

Honorary Master
One would think the great Allah would strike him down, what with him being an all powerful "god" and all that.

We read a lot of "Defend me. Defend my name. Slay the unbeliever. Do this. Do that. Go there. Say this."

But there is not a whole lot of doing by the gods. Lots of commanding and ranting in general, but no doing. Why do you suppose that is hmm?

Last edited:

Solarion

Honorary Master
Maybe Allah knows the difference between Fiction and Non-fiction, it is a novel after all :p
Probably sitting up there watching Friends re-runs and playing golf with Zeus on Sundays.

All looks down at Earth once every few months and thinks to himself "I wonder what those dumb ****s are up to at the moment. Screw them I've got Sword training with Ares at 4:30." :p

falcon786

Executive Member
One would think the great Allah would strike him down, what with him being an all powerful "god" and all that.

We read a lot of "Defend me. Defend my name. Slay the unbeliever. Do this. Do that. Go there. Say this."

But there is not a whole lot of doing by the gods. Lots of commanding and ranting in general, but no doing. Why do you suppose that is hmm?
That would defeat the purpose and premise of free will.If you knew there was a God because he showed you then you would believe out of fear alone.

vorman

Probably sitting up there watching Friends re-runs and playing golf with Zeus on Sundays.

All looks down at Earth once every few months and thinks to himself "I wonder what those dumb ****s are up to at the moment. Screw them I've got Sword training with Ares at 4:30." :p

I have recently joined MyBB and the forums, probably not more than 5 months ago. And in my short time here, its unbelievable the amount of hate I've seen towards religions. I ignored every other occurrence before but thought maybe i should say something now.
I will not say what religion i follow, but the above quoted comments for example, do you guys not realise its blasphemy? May be insulting to people of that faith?

Its very often that i come across hate against muslims, racist comments and just general blasphemy. I am not pointing fingers at any race/religion/colour, in fact no one knows who you are, but just the stuff i come across and think, we have not moved on if people can so openly display hatred toward others.

How often do you find blasphemy against Jesus? Who has ever insulted Jesus here on this forum with comments such as this:

"Probably sitting up there watching Friends re-runs and playing golf with Zeus on Sundays.

All looks down at Earth once every few months and thinks to himself "I wonder what those dumb ****s are up to at the moment. Screw them I've got Sword training with Ares at 4:30."

I was really dissappointed the first time i came across this on MyBB and thought maybe it was just a once off post, but i see it happening all over. The moment religion/race is mentioned in a news article/someones post, the slandering begins.

Is this the purpose of the forum? Leave that, can people not even communicate without slandering other.
It really shows who people are really are. Even though you may greet and talk to people in a polite manner in your day to day dealings, but deep inside, not much has changed in the people of South Africa.

i must say, really disgusting.
it is not the first time. I come across slander/racism/abuse/blasphemy very often. Do not try to justify it by saying other people are insulting my religion/race so im just paying back, it is not acceptable.

Really disappointing. Even more so, mods do not condone behaviour of this type/block/issue warnings.
This is just my rant based on a proudly South African forum that im part of, literally my first online forum where i engage and participate.

Nick333

Honorary Master
I have recently joined MyBB and the forums, probably not more than 5 months ago. And in my short time here, its unbelievable the amount of hate I've seen towards religions. I ignored every other occurrence before but thought maybe i should say something now.
I will not say what religion i follow, but the above quoted comments for example, do you guys not realise its blasphemy? May be insulting to people of that faith?

Its very often that i come across hate against muslims, racist comments and just general blasphemy. I am not pointing fingers at any race/religion/colour, in fact no one knows who you are, but just the stuff i come across and think, we have not moved on if people can so openly display hatred toward others.

How often do you find blasphemy against Jesus? Who has ever insulted Jesus here on this forum with comments such as this:

"Probably sitting up there watching Friends re-runs and playing golf with Zeus on Sundays.

All looks down at Earth once every few months and thinks to himself "I wonder what those dumb ****s are up to at the moment. Screw them I've got Sword training with Ares at 4:30."

I was really dissappointed the first time i came across this on MyBB and thought maybe it was just a once off post, but i see it happening all over. The moment religion/race is mentioned in a news article/someones post, the slandering begins.

Is this the purpose of the forum? Leave that, can people not even communicate without slandering other.
It really shows who people are really are. Even though you may greet and talk to people in a polite manner in your day to day dealings, but deep inside, not much has changed in the people of South Africa.

i must say, really disgusting.
it is not the first time. I come across slander/racism/abuse/blasphemy very often. Do not try to justify it by saying other people are insulting my religion/race so im just paying back, it is not acceptable.

Really disappointing. Even more so, mods do not condone behaviour of this type/block/issue warnings.
This is just my rant based on a proudly South African forum that im part of, literally my first online forum where i engage and participate.
Fcck Jesus. Happy now?

Pox

Expert Member
Getting upset on behalf of an all-powerful, all-knowing being. Lol.

Blasphemy as a concept is bull****. Nothing should be above criticism, especially religion.

Slander? I think you will have to prove that the entity being slandered exists first.

And I have to say MyBB is critical to most religions. Christianity gets mocked as well, it just depends on the amount of threads dealing with the respective religions.

Cray

Honorary Master
I have recently joined MyBB and the forums, probably not more than 5 months ago. And in my short time here, its unbelievable the amount of hate I've seen towards religions. I ignored every other occurrence before but thought maybe i should say something now
We are discussing a work or fiction that provoked the followers of a religion to try and murder the author and actually murder two translators but you are concerned about posters committing blasphemy?

Edit: People taking offence on behalf of their god/prophet is exactly what led to the deaths of those translators.

Last edited:

vorman

We are discussing a work or fiction that provoked the followers of a religion to try and murder the author and actually murder two translators but you are concerned about posters committing blasphemy?
Im all for discussion and questions, i've seen many posts where people are inquiring more about another religion and want to understand concepts a bit better.
Just that it does not happen in a respectful manner and comments like the ones above surface and deviate from the topic.

ihsaan

90% of religious hate speech on this forum are by Atheist and I agree with vorman that the mods should put a stop to it as most of it can be considered hate speech.

falcon786

Executive Member
It really shows who people are really are.
Indeed,they hide behind the anonymity of the net.However,would you rather know what people are saying about you behind your back or not?

I agree a certain amount of mutual respect should be applied to every debate or else it's like a bunch of apes having a go at each other but as a Muslim I actually sometimes like to hear other peoples opinions on why they don't agree with when it comes to my beliefs,as long as they don't get all childish/aggressive it makes for interesting conversation.

You'll be surprised how many times peoples opinions are formed over silly misconceptions they picked up from ill informed people over the years rather than based on what people actually believe.Sometimes in the real world people don't get to speak their mind about these prejudices and might simply keep quiet and continue believing it without it being challenged.