Muhammed and the Satanic Verses.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Promotion of hate speech on a SOUTH AFRICAN website not on... further more there is a law around this... as MODS you are failing, thereby endorsing. So should this be sent to some place claiming promotion of hate speech by MyBB, you guys are kinda screwed. period. The law. Like paying taxes. You hate it but accountable to it.

Religion, and and all of them, should not be exempt from scrutiny nor questioning the limits of possibility and sheer idiocy. Being critical of any religion does not constitute hate speech. If it did, we'd be living in a dystopia where EVERY comedian would be behind bars.
Promotion of hate speech is quite a stretch :laugh:

More like....promotion of critical thinking.

Cray

Honorary Master
Promotion of hate speech on a SOUTH AFRICAN website not on... further more there is a law around this... as MODS you are failing, thereby endorsing. So should this be sent to some place claiming promotion of hate speech by MyBB, you guys are kinda screwed. period. The law. Like paying taxes. You hate it but accountable to it.
Critically examining ideas is not hate speech, people choose their religion which informs their actions every day - why should that choice and those actions be above criticism?

FrankCastle

Executive Member
Larger then a donkey but smaller then a mule does not make it a donkey
any way since this is how your logic works
so if i describe you as larger then an a$ $hole but smaller then a horse i guess that makes you an a$ $hole
henceforth we shall all call you a frankasshole and we will all will not have any issues with calling you this as the mods cannot give anyone who calls you frankasshole infraction because as per your interpretation this is correct way to describe you frankasshole.

Thank you frankasshole
You seem to have a PhD in assholes?

FrankCastle

Executive Member
Look - all Im saying is that most muslims are peaceful and loving like the rest of us - until:

Definitely some issues here, yes?

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Salman Rushdie condemns 'hate-filled rhetoric' of Islamic fanaticism

Salman Rushdie says all religions have their extremists but "the overwhelming weight of the problem lies in the world of Islam"

Accusations of 'Islamophobia' are being levelled at anyone who dares to speak out against the "hate-filled rhetoric" of Islamic fanaticism, Salman Rushdie has claimed in a speech condemning Isil and "this new age of religious mayhem".
Rushdie voiced his fears that the language of "jihadi-cool" is seducing young British Muslims, many via Twitter and YouTube, into joining the "decapitating barbarianism" of Isil, the group also referred to as Islamic State or Isis.

scudsucker

Expert Member
When I first saw the OP's jawdropping comment,

Not knowing much about the history of Islam nor having read the book....
Yet still going on a rant about a subject he professes to know very little, I was somewhat amused.

But seeing as the thread has got this far (in terms of posts, at least, it certainly has gone nowhere in terms of content) I'd like to ask whom here has actually read the book?

I have. I found it somewhat hard going in that Rushdies prose is dense and much must be internalised in order to pick up the relevance when later referenced.

I did not see anything particularly "religious" about it aside the fact that it is an analogy written with some pseudo religious passages; to me the magic realism is a more important part on which to focus; and I am more than willing to bring the religious parts into that fold.

I think the book itself is above FrankCastle's reading age.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
When I first saw the OP's jawdropping comment,

Yet still going on a rant about a subject he professes to know very little, I was somewhat amused.

But seeing as the thread has got this far (in terms of posts, at least, it certainly has gone nowhere in terms of content) I'd like to ask whom here has actually read the book?

I have. I found it somewhat hard going in that Rushdies prose is dense and much must be internalised in order to pick up the relevance when later referenced.

I did not see anything particularly "religious" about it aside the fact that it is an analogy written with some pseudo religious passages; to me the magic realism is a more important part on which to focus; and I am more than willing to bring the religious parts into that fold.

I think the book itself is above FrankCastle's reading age.
And I don't intend to. I wiki summary would do just fine. In fact I seriously doubt many muslims including the Ayatollah have read it either, but picked up on the title and thought it directly references Muhammed. So all hell broke loose.

Thread is about the reaction and the legacy not the actual content, so you can pick up your jaw now.

The incident itself was an embarrassing blow for the muslims when Mo was getting revelations from either god or satan and couldn't tell the difference.

MEIOT

Expert Member
And I don't intend to. I wiki summary would do just fine. In fact I seriously doubt many muslims including the Ayatollah have read it either, but picked up on the title and thought it directly references Muhammed. So all hell broke loose.

Thread is about the reaction and the legacy not the actual content, so you can pick up your jaw now.

The incident itself was an embarrassing blow for the muslims when Mo was getting revelations from either god or satan and couldn't tell the difference.

Having read the book - all I can suggest is first hand experience is better than others' interpretations. It's a fictional literary masterpiece IMO - and just like most fictional pieces it's always open to interpretation. Just like the Bible and the Koran and the Torah and the Bhagavad Gita

Your hate and disdain isn't driven from gathered facts which trivializes your opinions, and rightfully so.
Opinions formulated from conjecture is just ignorance and stupidity.

Surely you, and your kind, can see this? hate based on facts is much more meaningful than hate based on stupidity.
Educate yourself, it helps. It really does.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
Having read the book - all I can suggest is first hand experience is better than others' interpretations. It's a fictional literary masterpiece IMO - and just like most fictional pieces it's always open to interpretation. Just like the Bible and the Koran and the Torah and the Bhagavad Gita

Your hate and disdain isn't driven from gathered facts which trivializes your opinions, and rightfully so.
Opinions formulated from conjecture is just ignorance and stupidity.

Surely you, and your kind, can see this? hate based on facts is much more meaningful than hate based on stupidity.
Educate yourself, it helps. It really does.
So you're saying the satanic verses incident never happened, and those that assume that it did are stupid?

MEIOT

Expert Member
So you're saying the satanic verses incident never happened, and those that assume that it did are stupid?
No - what I'm saying is everything that supposedly happened in all those holy books are questionable and not just questionable, but massively open to interpretation.

The Satanic Verses you reference is fictional literature. It's a novel. You picking apart a religion based on a novel is laughable. Puts you in the same camp as those taking offense from it. Idiots. The lot of you.

Read the book. It's a good read

And Yes - my personal belief is this - it never happened and those that believe it did are indeed stupid.

Things should be appreciated for what they are and not what they may or may not infer - it's a slippery slope trying to find offense in everything. People deliberately look for offense and then there's people like you, that deliberately look to offend. Just lunacy from both sides.

Last edited: