Muhammed and the Satanic Verses.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
Read the book. It's a good read

And Yes - my personal belief is this - it never happened and those that believe it did are indeed stupid.
If holy books are open to interpretation then aren't those that believe it didn't happen also stupid?

Speaking of interpretation verses 22:52-53 of the Koran, on its own doesn't make sense until you insert the Satanic verses. And the Koran reminds us numerous times it is clear and easy to interpret.

Are you a muslim by any chance?

MEIOT

Expert Member
If holy books are open to interpretation then aren't those that believe it didn't happen also stupid?

Speaking of interpretation verses 22:52-53 of the Koran, on its own doesn't make sense until you insert the Satanic verses. And the Koran reminds us numerous times it is clear and easy to interpret.

Are you a muslim by any chance?
I'm not a muslim.

Put simply - holy books aren't holy books at all! Just a bunch of stories compiled by a backward people at a backward time in history.

You're trying to find meaning and sense in verses from a desert dwelling people 1400 years ago?

I'm not entirely sure what point if any, you're trying to make.
I get the sense you're just arguing for the sake of it.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
I'm not a muslim.

Put simply - holy books aren't holy books at all! Just a bunch of stories compiled by a backward people at a backward time in history.

You're trying to find meaning and sense in verses from a desert dwelling people 1400 years ago?

I'm not entirely sure what point if any, you're trying to make.
I get the sense you're just arguing for the sake of it.
And yet you still refer to it as holy books 2 posts ago.

Not asking for meaning or sense just evidence of an historical event. Should've just posted the history instead of getting you to check the verses.

https://answering-islam.org/Responses/Saifullah/sverses.htm

Is that so hard.

MEIOT

Expert Member
And yet you still refer to it as holy books 2 posts ago.

Not asking for meaning or sense just evidence of an historical event. Should've just posted the history instead of getting you to check the verses.

https://answering-islam.org/Responses/Saifullah/sverses.htm

Is that so hard.
I use it, the term "holy books" out of a semblance of respect for other peoples beliefs - my beliefs or complete lack thereof - doesn't automatically qualify me for disrespecting the beliefs and convictions of others - no matter how absolutely silly they are in my opinion.

If you're really looking for verified historical records of events that happened over 1400 years ago - you'll be extremely hard-pressed to find any at all. You can debate religious subjects till the cows come home - it all proves futile ultimately.

Every word written is hearsay. Notwithstanding the fact that majority of the stories contained in these books can be traced back to other faiths/religions/beliefs/stories/civilizations that are either long dead or much older than the 3 Abrahamic faiths.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
I use it, the term "holy books" out of a semblance of respect for other peoples beliefs - my beliefs or complete lack thereof - doesn't automatically qualify me for disrespecting the beliefs and convictions of others - no matter how absolutely silly they are in my opinion.

If you're really looking for verified historical records of events that happened over 1400 years ago - you'll be extremely hard-pressed to find any at all. You can debate religious subjects till the cows come home - it all proves futile ultimately.

Every word written is hearsay. Notwithstanding the fact that majority of the stories contained in these books can be traced back to other faiths/religions/beliefs/stories/civilizations that are either long dead or much older than the 3 Abrahamic faiths.
My question to you was whether you thought the satanic verses incident happened to which you replied in the negative, when you should've, given your stance, replied that you don't know.

It had to come from somewhere.

MEIOT

Expert Member
My question to you was whether you thought the satanic verses incident happened to which you replied in the negative, when you should've, given your stance, replied that you don't know.

It didn't happen! Simply put. Satan doesn't exist.

I wish he did - it certainly would help in trying to justify the injustices in the world. He was created so we don't have to look inwards for blame

Going in circles - I'm still unsure as to what point exactly it is you're trying to get across.

No worries though. I've lost interest

isie

Honorary Master

I wish he did - it certainly would help in trying to justify the injustices in the world. He was created so we don't have to look inwards for blame

Going in circles - I'm still unsure as to what point exactly it is you're trying to get across.

You realise you are playing chess with a pigeon.

FrankCastle

Executive Member

Let me simplify this for you. Do you or don't you believe that there was a 7th century man claiming to receive revelations from god which included a revelation from satan?

We've already established he was a false prophet, all I want to know is if you believe the false prophet made a blunder with his fictitious revelations?

MEIOT

Expert Member
Let me simplify this for you. Do you or don't you believe that there was a 7th century man claiming to receive revelations from god which included a revelation from satan?

We've already established he was a false prophet, all I want to know is if you believe the false prophet made a blunder with his fictitious revelations?
I pity you and your understanding of the world and the people that live and love in it.

Seek the truth and don't follow blindly.
Best advice I can give you child

Last edited:

alqassam

Expert Member

Ah damn it's mr islamophobe again, who has only ever commented in anti Islam threads.

Prawnapple

Promotion of hate speech on a SOUTH AFRICAN website not on... further more there is a law around this... as MODS you are failing, thereby endorsing. So should this be sent to some place claiming promotion of hate speech by MyBB, you guys are kinda screwed. period. The law. Like paying taxes. You hate it but accountable to it.
Are you referring to the discussion about Allah and the Quran? Can you point out the hate in this thread?

FrankCastle

Executive Member
Forgive him. He has aspergers.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/autism/mental-health-aspergers-syndrome

That's why he's so obsessed
Better than having frontal lobe epilepsy, dont you think? ;)

Muhammad is reported to have had mysterious seizures at the moments of inspiration. According to Philip Schaff (1819–1893), during his revelations Muhammad "sometimes growled like a camel, foamed at his mouth, and streamed with perspiration."[148] Welch, a scholar of Islamic studies, in the Encyclopedia of Islam states that the graphic descriptions of Muhammad's condition at these moments may be regarded as genuine, since they are unlikely to have been invented by later Muslims. According to Welch, these seizures should have been the most convincing evidence for the superhuman origin of Muhammad's inspirations for people around him. Others adopted alternative explanations for these seizures and claimed that he was possessed, a soothsayer, or a magician. Welch states it remains uncertain whether Muhammad had such experiences before he began to see himself as a prophet and if so how long did he have such experiences.[149]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Muhammad#Psychological_and_medical_condition

surface

Executive Member
I don't know where you got donkey from cos the word is Buraaq which translates into electricity or lightning. 1400 years ago it couldn't be comprehended but in this day and age, it is more believable because we have electricity, electronics and a better understanding of what could be possible with all the advances in technology and the rate at which it is progressing.

So I'm gonna ask you for a favour, please do not do your own research rather speak to a human being, OR, give it a rest.
Now this is interesting - it looks like science evolved from kuran. Apart from electricity, do you know if string theory is mentioned as well? what about quantum mechanics?