MultiChoice and SAFACT nail pirate TV box seller in South Africa

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
Huh?

The TV box ships with software that allows users to illegally download copyrighted content.
So does every Windows laptop.

The Act criminalizes the use of a device or computer program to overcome security measures designed to protect data, or prevent access to data.
O... K... But what did the box do?

Milano

Honorary Master
A Multichoice employee. Sounds so innocuous. More like an investigator employed by Multichoice specifically tasked with suing and harassing hard-working South Africans.

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
Publicity case where the defendant decided that it was not economical to to pursue the defence.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
So does every Windows laptop.
Nope. Thats is the beauty here. Simply make a backup of the Kodi add-on instances installed on this TV Box, remove it from the device, and continue selling it. Issue a download link and procedure to all Clients who purchase it and have them reinstall it themselves. Problem solved. No need to remove Kodi.

Last edited:

Pythonista

Oh my ... you couldn't buy exposure and advertising at 10 times that fine. What a bargain.

Segg

Expert Member
Nope. Thats is the beauty here. Simply make a backup of the Kodi add-on instances installed on this TV Box, remove it from the device, and continue selling it. Issue a download link and procedure to all Clients who purchase it and have them reinstall it themselves. Problem solved. No need to remove Kodi.
So basically the guy was nailed for pre-installing open source software onto TV boxes, now if I'm not mistaken, Kodi isn't necessarily used for "downloaded" content, if you have backed up your DVD's and Blu-Rays to a hard drive, then you can legally use Kodi to play them back

digitalp

I have 2 of these boxes i am not using. I bought them 2 years ago from avsupply and have been planning to sell them. Guess I will just hold on to them.

Insint

Expert Member
So basically the guy was nailed for pre-installing open source software onto TV boxes, now if I'm not mistaken, Kodi isn't necessarily used for "downloaded" content, if you have backed up your DVD's and Blu-Rays to a hard drive, then you can legally use Kodi to play them back
Yeah, it's pretty much the same as saying ISPs could provide a means to piracy or a pc with Windows or Linux could be used to get pirated content. This is a new kind of stupid, the type that multichoice supplies.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
May have something to do with how it was advertised on his site...if he used the ability to access online, illegal content as a selling point, then this is a fair cop.

CeeBee

Expert Member
i was also huh? the guy is nailed for selling a unit that makes illegal activity possible? how is that much different from most car manufacturers that could allow you drive at illegal speeds? Or gun manufacturers?
its the end-user that does the illegal action, or not, no?
is the illegal activity on these IP boxes the main activity that they are used to, or just one of the features?

still, maybe the boxes themselves are illegal, like the old imported analogue phones that were illegal to use on Telkom's network.
just sounds like some sensationalism being sought. as said... good advertising and making the product known :)

CeeBee

Expert Member
They loaded series and movies on the device and then sold it.
OK, well thats a bit different story then... selling a unit with illegal content on it, is not exactly the same as selling a unit that 'allows getting illegal content"
then was a bit of a dumb move on his part then :), shouldve sold without content

DJ...

Banned
Kodi in and of itself is not installed to obtain any content illegally or let's call it, irregularly for the sake of avoiding that debate and keeping it on track.

In order for Kodi to obtain content in such a manner, it must be customised with addons to do so, none of which are built by the Kodi developers, nor sanctioned by the Kodi developers, and they have explicitly stated that they do not support them, nor do they agree with their use. Hence the name change from XBMC to allow them to enforce their IP rights where their IP (such as their name or even their media centre software) is used for what many governments consider to be illicit access to copyrighted material without authorisation of the rights holders.

To add to this, after customisation of the software to enable access to this content (which you take reponsibility for), marketing your devices as having such access further compounds your liability to the best of my knowledge. And it should be pointed out that this risk was pointed out to the guys at AVSupply a long time ago and we did suggest that they reconsider doing this before someone took action. Either this action was as a result of sales during that timeframe, or AVSupply knew the risks and forged ahead. Either way, I hope that AVSupply as a brand can continue successfully without adopting this sort of risk in future...

LCBXX

Honorary Master
A Multichoice employee. Sounds so innocuous. More like an investigator employed by Multichoice specifically tasked with suing and harassing hard-working South Africans.
There was a vacancy advertised by MC recently for specifically this purpose.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I would like to know why exactly the DroidTV Box MXIII is illegal, due to KODI or the KODI/XBMC plugins which allows, to quote, “The MultiChoice employee reportedly bought a TV box from Tracy Hilbert, after which charges were brought against the couple.” or due to the advertisement?

Because similar media boxes are sold by other retailes and etailers, with or without Kodi (with or without ‘illegal’ plugins pre-installed).

Then I have another question in regard with,

The Act criminalizes the use of a device or computer program to overcome security measures designed to protect data, or prevent access to data.
what do they mean by preventing access to data and what exact data, is the act in the meaning to publically allow access to all data?