MultiChoice explains why you can't choose your own DStv channels

Weasley

Expert Member
I wonder if they just bring out a sport pacakge how popular it will be

Riot2

yeah a sport package (all super sports including the HD ones) and the other 3 hd channels only would be ideal (or is it 4 now, but they can throw MM1HD away again)
problem is that will probably cost about R1 less than the current package, as the rest of the trash isnt worth much but thats how they add "value" by having 50 channels of utter crap

and even if they could bring the above package out for say R299 a month, everyone i know would switch to it and they would lose money that they are making by forcing ppl to pay for the other crap channels along with the sports to just get the sport packages

i wish they could just state that as the reason and move on from all the bs excuses
and the extra admin costs are just utter bs, itll have an initial upfront cost and after that it wont make a difference
all u do is make a website with tickboxes next to the channels u want, a price for each - automate that with the smartcard system and done. - its clearly already easy/possible to add/block/remove channels - for example that temporary idols extra channel

Last edited:

shogun

Expert Member
I think it's less to do with the cost of providing the service (the technology to do this is already there), and more to do with being able to charge a little more for a bouquet, and the funding of smaller channels. They already allow customized channel selection for businesses.

MartyMarts

Spontaneous Interruption
I still think it's BS. I console myself by continuously telling myself that I pay a feasible R560 a month to watch lots of live football matches :mad:

soldierboi

Its quite laughable actually, that they say they're striving for customer satisfaction yet there are all these issues and excuses. Why not be a trendsetter DSTV?? Dont follow the international market and be the best at following these. Set your own standards and let the world follow you? Hows that for customer satisfaction???

risami

What a load of BS ... Shogun's right - the tech's already there to support it and more so it's already available overseas (US, Canada, etc) where you can select what you'd like in packages. Once again, the corporation makes stupid excuses to the rip the man in the street a new a55hole ....here my boy (here's an even bigger plug to stop the bleeding) w@nk3rz :mad:

Coyote

The only reason I personally have DSTV is for Supersport 1, they can keep the rest. I phoned them a while back and asked for ss1 only, but of course you have to have the premium bouquet to watch rugby.

jimmycool

Why on earth should "Multi"Choice go out of their way to find a cheaper alternative for us to pay them for what we are already watching. Unless of course someone else offers us the same service at a better price???

FrancTheTank

Expert Member
The reason they don't have the tick boxes is because we'd find out how cheap (mind the pun) the channels were, which are supposedly "value add"!

Cost Conscious

“Subscriber satisfaction is a key priority and while DStv is always looking for ways to add value to the product, the service must remain affordable to the majority of our subscribers.”

Which is why they canned the SciFy Channel.

ike

"not financially feasibly" = we would lose a lot of money, customers would save a lot of money as they would only pay for what they want. in the end there would be about 10 channels left, which are the ones subsidizing the rest of the junk on dstv.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
The part I love is that the only "bouquet" that offers the movie magic channels and supersport is the premium one. So if you happy with a lot of fta stuff and some weird arabic/indian channels then get the lower end ones, but if you an english speaker who might want to watch the odd movie then you gotta cough the 500+ a month.

The reason bouquet is in quotes is that I always use that term when speaking of flowers which brighten up ones life with colour and scent. the dstv version of the word does eff all of the sort for me.

Heres an idea. why not lump all the movies into one lot and sport in another etc and then let people decide which bundles they want? Oh yes wait, that would mean all the rubbish channels they bought instead of providing quality would get almost zero subscribers.

And while we at it, how about fixing your effing epg so that it actually works? how many times im using the grid thingy to navigate around and find something that isnt a repeat or in a foreign language or totally not in my range of interests and you get to a channel like history or discovery and the epg thingy is blank. wait there for like 2 mins and eventually it comes up.

steve-rsa

Rhema, the horese racing etc would go - YAY! and there would be a bit more bandwidth on the satellite to up the signal quality of the remainder - YAY!

win-win.

vyldoela

Notice how they explain alot of their shortcomings now that there are other pay-tv competitors.

KillerX

Expert Member
Would be very nice if I could choose a custom bouquet of channels. I would probably only end up choosing around 8-10 channels.

BBC, CNN, Summit, Discovery, History, SS3, CNBC Africa, MNET, MM1, Nat Geo

The rest are mostly crap with endless reruns.