MultiChoice kills third-party DStv Now and Showmax Kodi add-ons

quovadis

Expert Member
MultiChoice said it doesn’t have specific plans with respect to Kodi add-ons for either Showmax or DStv Now in the near future.
Therein lies the problem. There is obviously a demand for such a service and it's being ignored by Multichoice probably because it's not a large enough demand for their attention yet they'll shut it down regardless of the fact that it's being used by their own paying customers who are consuming the content legally but via a non-standard and unendorsed interface.

Segg

Expert Member
“But in general, actions will be taken against sites which use the intellectual property of another company and accept payment or donations for this activity.”
FFS its not infringing on DSTV's IP :cautious:

If anything these addons prevent piracy by offering convenience - now people are just going to pirate stuff again because its easier than dealing with DSTV

If I were multichoice I'd get a hold of this guy and offer him the opportunity to publish them officially

Poor show (as we've come to expect) :thumbsdown:

EDIT: Its not the average joe who uses KODI, the vast majority of users are well aware of the risks of using 3rd party addons - so I don't buy this excuse either

neoprema

Expert Member
That is their problem. They should have just created a official kodi app and drive people towards theirs.
It will impact sales of their rubbish half-baked buggy decoders. The mark-up on those things is probably hideously high.

Segg

Expert Member
It will impact sales of their rubbish half-baked buggy decoders. The mark-up on those things is probably hideously high.
AFAIK the decoders are actually sold at a loss - with the subscriptions making up the shortfall

moosag

Expert Member
Really bad form on Multichoices part. Ah well this type of behavior will catch up with them eventually.

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
I really think that this is very idiotic from NASPERS/DSTV as there is a need for the software and someone did it free of charge. All they then needed to do is to pay Huisman a fee dollars and have another way in which they would like to make money!

sgs

So if they shut this down, I guess the chances of a Roku app for Showmax are drifting even closer to the drainplug...