Murray Cox, the Activist Trying to Take Down Airbnb

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Murray Cox, the Activist Trying to Take Down Airbnb

Murray Cox chuckled when he was invited to a meeting with Airbnb executives in downtown Manhattan in February.

For four years Cox has been publishing reports that cast Airbnb as a big-city housing-villain, but the company had never reached out to him before.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Think Murray Cock would be more fitting for him
Actually its an interesting article. My first (and only) stay in air b&b was at an illegal establishment in NY. I was livid and let them know. I got no response. The woman renting it out was not even in town and was likely subletting - paying for the apartment monthly and then letting it out via Air B&B to all and sundry, against the housing rules and very likely against the wishes of the owner. I was asked - after signing up - to not mention Air B&B but to say "I'm so and so's friend" if I bump into other tennants of the block. Was the most awkward overnight ever...

This company is like Uber. No real backbone and nobody listening when you email. On the Uber front, I was billed twice via PayPal on the same day for something I never received. I tried emailing them on their PayPal transaction address and after three mails never even got an acknowledgement of receipt, let alone answer or resolution.

These guys are sharks.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Actually its an interesting article. My first (and only) stay in air b&b was at an illegal establishment in NY. I was livid and let them know. I got no response. The woman renting it out was not even in town and was likely subletting - paying for the apartment monthly and then letting it out via Air B&B to all and sundry, against the housing rules and very likely against the wishes of the owner. I was asked - after signing up - to not mention Air B&B but to say "I'm so and SO's friend" if I bump into other Tennant's of the block. Was the most awkward overnight ever...

This company is like Uber. No real backbone and nobody listening when you email. On the Uber front, I was billed twice via PayPal on the same day for something I never received. I tried emailing them on their PayPal transaction address and after three mails never even got an acknowledgement of receipt, let alone answer or resolution.

These guys are sharks.
I have use them plenty of times, did not have any issues yet, but only places in SA, I do look at the reviews of the people and even go a far as searching for them on facebook to make sure they look "ok" haha

Daruk

Honorary Master
I have use them plenty of times, did not have any issues yet, but only places in SA, I do look at the reviews of the people and even go a far as searching for them on facebook to make sure they look "ok" haha
Yeah, admittedly I did my booking in a rush, it was my first, and only afterwards saw no ratings. That's said, there are tons like that one, probably a small percentage in any NY borough, but probably still a significant number.

These companies are useful when you don't need to talk to a person, but have a billing issue and nobody cares. I've been put off for life, but then I tend to do things out of principle sometimes.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Yeah, admittedly I did my booking in a rush, it was my first, and only afterwards saw no ratings. That's said, there are tons like that one, probably a small percentage in any NY borough, but probably still a significant number.

These companies are useful when you don't need to talk to a person, but have a billing issue and nobody cares. I've been put off for life, but then I tend to do things out of principle sometimes.
Yeah probably just a matter of time before I have a bad experience and will probably also stop using it

OCP

Expert Member
I was a superhost for a few years and rented out a double room with en-suite at my house.
Met some awesome/interesting/crazy people and only once had an issue where i asked a guest to leave (i was happy to refund the person); no problems from AirBNB, they supported my request and blacklisted the person straight after without affecting my status.

Still get xmas cards from the one lady that came and had xmas with us + got invited to a couple's wedding that stayed with me while they were venue shopping ;-)

Always checked potential guests reviews and was quite picky who I accepted which is why i think we had with one exception always had great experiences.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I was a superhost for a few years and rented out a double room with en-suite at my house.
Met some awesome/interesting/crazy people and only once had an issue where i asked a guest to leave (i was happy to refund the person); no problems from AirBNB, they supported my request and blacklisted the person straight after without affecting my status.

Still get xmas cards from the one lady that came and had xmas with us + got invited to a couple's wedding that stayed with me while they were venue shopping ;-)

Always checked potential guests reviews and was quite picky who I accepted which is why i think we had with one exception always had great experiences.
Mind sharing what happened that led you to ask a guest to leave?

Daruk

Honorary Master
I suspect the headline is a bit misleading - I don't get the feeling he is trying to destroy AirBnB but rather put them in their place and hold them accountable.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I suspect the headline is a bit misleading - I don't get the feeling he is trying to destroy AirBnB but rather put them in their place and hold them accountable.
If they are taken out someone else will move in its place. That ship has sailed.

Daruk

Honorary Master
If they are taken out someone else will move in its place. That ship has sailed.
The real issue IMO are companies that offer no-one to hold to account for their actions or absolve themselves of the actions of their affiliates by saying 'it's not us, it's them' when they enable the environment. Like hiring a consultant, that consultant works for you when you hire them and you are responsible for their actions with your clients... Uber, Facebook, Airbnb...

OCP

Expert Member
Mind sharing what happened that led you to ask a guest to leave?
I have 2 young kids (girls) - let's just say he was all pleasant on his comms until he arrived and turned out to be a despicable human being that should not be anywhere near children.
When I then googled him, I found some rather disturbing reports on this individual and promptly asked him to leave. (which he did very quickly)
I forwarded the links to the reports to AirBnB and they agreed he would no longer be a client ;-)

Swa

Honorary Master
“I’m just a housing activist. I believe housing is a human right; not an economic tool or a commodity.”
If that's the case it's the government's job to provide it. Airbnb isn't a problem but simply a symptom of one. If they aren't around someone else will take the business or it might even become decentralised. It's funny how it's more a problem where the laws and regulation are stricter. It's probably where tenants have more rights than owners. Rather look to fixing the root cause than taking out the people providing for a gap in the market.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I have 2 young kids (girls) - let's just say he was all pleasant on his comms until he arrived and turned out to be a despicable human being that should not be anywhere near children.
When I then googled him, I found some rather disturbing reports on this individual and promptly asked him to leave. (which he did very quickly)
I forwarded the links to the reports to AirBnB and they agreed he would no longer be a client ;-)
I wouldn't open my home with young kids to random strangers. You did the right thing, kudos.