Music industry wants stricter anti-piracy laws

Kosmik

Honorary Master
TBH, with sites like Deezer, Spotify etc, is music piracy ie: digital downloads such a big thing still?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Or you could just actually try to compete and be relevant in a digital age.

konfab

Honorary Master
Google Play Music is literally easier to use than going onto a torrent site.

Executive Member
Is it wrong of me to just use youtube to listen to music these days? That and soundcloud.

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
Public wants more sensible copyright laws

The public is calling for reforms to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, with the aim of returning to an older standard of copyright law, before large, greedy, faceless corporations corrupted the legislation from it's original purpose, stifling innovation and making criminals out of ordinary people.

We're not too worried though, KAT and TPB serve the same purpose.

Music industry wants stricter anti-piracy laws

[-]Artists and songwriters[/-] Multi-billion dollar record labels are calling for reforms to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, with the aim of fighting piracy more effectively.

FTFY

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The amount of music on torrent sites has fallen drastically in recent years imo. Spotify and similar services have moved a huge number of pirates over to paying platforms - ironically platforms that bring in more money per user than traditional online music stores like iTunes.

The music industry needs to stop complaining and license more music to streaming services. The model benefits everyone if each user is spending more on music every month than they were before.

Not only that, but the vast majority of my playlists in Simfy and Spotify can't be recreated with torrents. I tried making a USB drive of one of my playlists for my mom to use in her car, and I gave up after 20 minutes. Almost nothing was available on torrents or usenet.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

They already do? :confused:

Is it wrong of me to just use youtube to listen to music these days? That and soundcloud.

:sick: :sick: mostly crap quality that you can hear is bad even on cheap earphones.

+100 now I'm just waiting for their Netflix like service.

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Only if you're okay with average to terrible audio quality.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

The best way to fight piracy is through pricing and distribution.
If people are pirating your content, it means that there is some hurdle to their easy acquisition.
It's already been proven numerous times that people are actually willing to pay.
It just depends on how easy it is to access the content.
Get rid of the hurdles - don't introduce more.

As far as I am concerned, artists should be releasing their music for sale on their own websites.
Skip the big record labels.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
If people are pirating your content, it means that there is some hurdle to their easy acquisition.
It's already been proven numerous times that people are actually willing to pay.

As far as I am concerned, artists should be releasing their music for sale on their own websites.

Quite a few indies do, should be mainstream though.

Executive Member

:sick: :sick: mostly crap quality that you can hear is bad even on cheap earphones.

+100 now I'm just waiting for their Netflix like service.

I hardly notice, but I think thats more a comment on my own hearing than anything else.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

It's not up to the artists. Most of them are bound to strict contracts with their publishers, and need publishers to finance their albums and tours.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
It's not up to the artists. Most of them are bound to strict contracts with their publishers, and need publishers to finance their albums and tours.
That... right there... is exactly where the problem lies.
The publishers/record labels/content distributors are all the old dinosaurs of the industry.
They are the biggest stumbling block and hurdle to effective distribution.
They are clinging to archaic old models of monetisation, when there are a hundred new channels and avenues of distribution just crying out to be accessed.
Artists need to put more pressure on their distributors to change.
But the distributors feed them crap about "protecting" their content.
What they are actually doing is "limiting" their content.

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
That... right there... is exactly where the problem lies.

Pretty much none of the current popular musicians would exist without the investment provided by publishers though.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Pretty much none of the current popular musicians would exist without the investment provided by publishers though.
That hasn't been relavant for nearly two decades now. We live in an Internet age.

Skerminkel

Expert Member

This. If I can find online dealers who will sell me music in mp3, I will pay. CDs are 20th century and I am not quite sold on the streaming-thing. Doesn't work in the car anyway.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
That hasn't been relavant for nearly two decades now. We live in an Internet age.

The cost isn't publishing music. Any garage band can register an iTunes account and license their music independently to Spotify. The cost is producing an entire album, hiring professional producers, song writers etc, the use of world class instruments, equipment and facilities, developing a marketable image, going on tours around the world etc.

It costs so much money that the fabled $1m deals don't cut it, and that doesn't even include tour costs. Many artists get nailed when they have to negotiate funds in excess of their original agreement.

konfab

Honorary Master
Doesn't work in the car anyway.

Get an FM transmitter or a bluetooth adaptor for your car's radio and use your phone. t Google play works perfectly for the car as you can download the songs to your device. Spotify can also do this.