Musk drops Nvidia, says Tesla has the best chip in the world

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Tesla Inc. has started equipping its vehicles with a self-driving computer designed in-house and transitioned away from chips supplied by Nvidia Corp., with Elon Musk offering a big boast to explain why.

“At first it seems improbable -- how could it be that Tesla, who has never designed a chip before -- would design the best chip in the world?” the chief executive officer said Monday at an investor day focused on autonomous driving.

[Bloomberg]

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Nvidia disputed some of the claims Tesla made in its presentation, saying that the electric-car maker was comparing a whole computer’s performance with that of one chip. A full system based on multiple Nvidia chips would be more powerful than what Tesla showed off, the Santa Clara, California-based company said. Still, Nvidia did offer praise for Tesla, saying it had just “raised the bar for self-driving computers.”

Tesla shares closed down 3.8 percent, while Nvidia finished up 1.2 percent.

[\QUOTE]
Lol.

ekske1

Executive Member

Tesla Inc. has started equipping its vehicles with a self-driving computer designed in-house and transitioned away from chips supplied by Nvidia Corp., with Elon Musk offering a big boast to explain why.

“At first it seems improbable -- how could it be that Tesla, who has never designed a chip before -- would design the best chip in the world?” the chief executive officer said Monday at an investor day focused on autonomous driving.

[Bloomberg]
pffft. Dragon Core > *

system32

Expert Member
For all you techies here on MyBB, the youtube video has lots of technical detail:
Skip 1h9m until they come on stage - the first part is just the demo.

From a technical perspective, Tesla has most (all) of the bits needed (Hardware, Data/Fleet, software) and are way ahead.
I think Tesla is likely have level 4/5 driving within 12months - certainly way before anyone else.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Still, brand allegiance is a big thing for some of us. I'll stick with Nvidia. I love the brand and it has been a loyal product for me for the better part of 3 decades now. Nvidia has literally never let me down.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Still, brand allegiance is a big thing for some of us. I'll stick with Nvidia. I love the brand and it has been a loyal product for me for the better part of 3 decades now. Nvidia has literally never let me down.
Good luck in trying to convince tesla to build you a car with Nvidia chips instead of theirs.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
For all you techies here on MyBB, the youtube video has lots of technical detail:
Skip 1h9m until they come on stage - the first part is just the demo.

From a technical perspective, Tesla has most (all) of the bits needed (Hardware, Data/Fleet, software) and are way ahead.
I think Tesla is likely have level 4/5 driving within 12months - certainly way before anyone else.
Que? Waymo had level 4 autonomy since 2017...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/tech/15848/waymo-is-already-running-cars-with-no-one-behind-the-wheel?source=dam

aymo announced Tuesday that it has been running Level 4 autonomous cars, with no human behind the wheel, in Arizona since mid-October.
This is just Musk playing catchup.