mvix portable hard drive question

johndoe1983

hi guys

i got a mvix portable 120gb, internal 2.5" hard drive crashed.... Now i wanna replace it

1. To what size hard drive does it allow (to be replaced with)
2. can i use a 7200rpm 2.5" drive? Or must i go with what the original drive was i.e 2.5" 5400rpm.
3. how and where would i get the software it comes with ? (i believe there are some files I gotta drop on the drive??

Thanks for your help :)

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
How it usually works is that you should just be able to replace it with the same type of drive as what was in before (ie either IDE or SATA) there are some size restrictions on some of the devices so you might only be able to replace it with a 500 gig, the speed shouldn't matter.

Also, when you put the drive in the Mvix it should ask you to format it, no need to install anything.

johndoe1983

Have you had a squiz around here?

http://www.mvix.net/forum/

yip... no luck

Nerfherder, but what about the gui when connected to the TV.... doesn't that reside on the actual hdd itself?
I had a 120gb, but sent a note to the mvix dudes asking if a 320gb 7200rpm would work fine.. they said all up until 500gb works fine for the 2500VU (or whatever model it is again)..
Getting the hdd today... just dunno about the end result yet ;)

johndoe1983

fixed :)

Put in my 320gb 7200rpm.. working shaweeeet... already filled it up to the brim... lol... half of the stuff I wont even watch knowing me ;-)

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
fixed :)

Put in my 320gb 7200rpm.. working shaweeeet... already filled it up to the brim... lol... half of the stuff I wont even watch knowing me ;-)

Yes, the GUI does not sit on the drive. It sits on the controller board so you can just swap out the drive.

Have fun.

johndoe1983

things i dont like is
1. no sleep mode timer/function
2. once 1 movie is done, it loads the next 1 on the list automatically.....

:/