MWEB ADSL - international connectivity downtime explained

XperiAnce

It's going to be really awkward if MWEB have to ask Telkom for some SAT3 Bandwidth.

MVGL

At least they inform customers openly as to what the issues are unlike some other ISP's - :whistling:

CeeBee

Expert Member
wasnt just ADSL or just from 13h00.... we have a leased line, and when I got back to the office from meeting at about 12h05 it was already off for a while
was wondering why the MWeb telephones were all dead, even the website dead.... got hold of accounts exec on cellula
seems to be OK now...
but looking outside at the storm brewing, its bound to go off again soon ......hope it stays on :)

Last edited:

MVGL

Seems to be all good again. If it stays up I must say that their estimate of around 3 hours wasn't bad.

Oracle666

yep looks like everything is back up.. Damm i can remember the telkom days, a cable break meant go home for the day.

uduwar

My 1 question is: So redundant lines were dug from Victory Park to the Neotel Data centre in Midrand, why on earth would you lay two cables right next to each other? Does logic not tell you to use a different route for the cables ? It's the same as taking those two lines and plugging it into 1 switch/router, there is no redundancy unless you use a separate physical path. Something as important as your Seacom connectivity should not be with out full Redundancy!

bekdik

Honorary Master
My 1 question is: So redundant lines were dug from Victory Park to the Neotel Data centre in Midrand, why on earth would you lay two cables right next to each other? Does logic not tell you to use a different route for the cables ? It's the same as taking those two lines and plugging it into 1 switch/router, there is no redundancy unless you use a separate physical path. Something as important as your Seacom connectivity should not be with out full Redundancy!

I doubt that one can dig up roads and lay cables along the routes one may wish, I guess the municipality has some say. The fact than most (all?) users were up within an hour indicates that there are in fact redundant paths.

Flojo

Expert Member
I disagree whole hearttly with Mwebs shaping policy as well as what they may think is fair.

But with regard to this cable breakage episode. It would be unfair kick up a fuss. **** happens. Thanks for getting it fixed quickly.

The_Assimilator

Executive Member

QFT

MickeyD

RIP

Ja-nee! Did they place the redundant fibre in same duct???

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Some further information (from a humble MWeb customer looking TENET and JINX graphs, plus use of tracert).

1. The MWeb-SEACOM break was close to 12h00 (not 13h00).
2. Between 13h30 and 14h25 MWeb managed to route international via JINX and TENET-SEACOM.
3. Local websites hosted on SAIX and MTN-Business were also affected, since MWeb routes via London for these.
4. MWeb-SEACOM connectivity was restored about 14h25, but some users seem to have had DNS or routing problems.
5. Some local routing in Cape Town (to CINX-TENET-IS) was completely unaffacted.

MactheKnife

I couldn't browse anything except news 24.
Even struggled sending email

Assume that is because there is no local peering anymore - everything goes via international links???
So when those international links go down - HKGK