MWEB cuts local paid-for transit links: The peering war begins

rpm

Admin
Staff member
This is a big development in the local Internet environment. The status quo of charging for local transit by the large telcos is under threat, but to route traffic internationally has its own costs and challenges which make free local peering seem quite attractive.

Today will be an interesting day indeed :)

ld13

Honorary Master
Vodacom linkup on standby
Afrihost linkup on standby
WebAfrica linkup on standby
Mweb linkup on standby
Telscum linkup on standby
SAINET linkup on standby
Bioplus on standby
Popcorn on standby
Fireworks... expected

I'm ready. Different routes for in case I need to reach whatever peered/nonpeered network. The Bioplus is for the clients. Well, not for the clients, but for me - I'm 99.99% sure a few clients are gonna come storming to me about how "my site is loading superslow now but loaded fine last night!!1"....
The popcorn is self explanatory.

cda

"but also traffic from Vodacom and MTN subscribers trying to get onto the MWEB network"

Why would they do that? What major content providers are on MWeb's network?

It's one thing to say everything will go international... but what if MTN just null them. Game over, thanks for playing sir. MWeb loses. Fatality.

rpm

Admin
Staff member

It's one thing to say everything will go international... but what if MTN just null them. Game over, thanks for playing sir. MWeb loses. Fatality.
Not so easy - the whole of 24.com is on MWEB's network (News24, Fn24 and the like) as well as DStv. If MTN simply 'cuts off' MWEB their users will suffer, and they may then simply migrate to Vodacom or Cell C. I would certainly not like to be with a provider where a section of the Internet is not available...

I see IC basically said the same as me and hit the post button quicker :)

Alestorm

Expert Member
Is it official yet that IS and MWeb have peered? The combination of these two should be enough content muscle to get other players to join them. Then the dinosaur Telkom will make its move sometime..

This would make for some interesting game theory scenarios.

BrokenLink

"but also traffic from Vodacom and MTN subscribers trying to get onto the MWEB network"

The 24 network for one.....news24 and fin24 draw a lot of traffic. News sites draw major traffic.

so everyone on vodacom go use up your data bundles :) open up news24.co.za and start refreshing! make vodacom pay for a bit of int bw :D

Shayd

Expert Member
Yup, we have made MWEB so big so quick that they can use us as a blunt instrument to make other ISP's fall in line. Nothing like staring down the barrel of 170000 uncapped users trying to suck down info from your network over your expensive international link.

As far as simply cutting us MWEB guys off, these companies are paid to host their customers content. I can just see it now, "sorry standard bank but we cannot let your customers see your site because MWEB wont pay us our extra kickback."

Basjohn

Expert Member
Honestly I, and I'm sure most other forum goers, won't mind a period of slow loading local sites if that's what it takes to get peering in place AT LAST.

Oddly enough, Mweb are doing more of an ICASA job than ICASA ever has.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Due to rip-off local transit fees and massive economies of scale it is currently cheaper for Mweb to route their local traffic via London than it is to route it across a local data centre. I doubt the same can be said for MTN, VC, Telkom, et al, who instead of receiving cash for Mweb's incoming traffic will now be having to pay up for it. That offer of free and open local peering from MWeb is going to start looking very attractive - sooner rather than later.

yeti

Honestly I, and I'm sure most other forum goers, won't mind a period of slow loading local sites if that's what it takes to get peering in place AT LAST.

+1

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
Basjohn; said:

Firstly let me say that in principle MWEB are correct. The local peering should be open and free.

The trouble is you can't eat principles and I do believe MWEB` could have warned it's customers better.

I can live with news content being slow.

However I need access to an asp that sits on Mtn backbone. I have checked the ping times and they are about 500 plus ms. 10x as bad as yesterday.

I don't know how this translates to user experience. I will only know this in about 6 hours time. However if it impacts productivity then it impacts revenue.

If I had better notice I could have done something. Now it appears my only short term option will be to move ISPs away from MWEB` until this debate is solved.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
This was announced 8 days ago at the MyBroadband conference. Plenty of time for MTN to agree to fair and open peering. Blame them, rather.

Anyway, my pings to www.mtnbusiness.co.za are still around 40ms, so it hasn't happened yet.

Joe Average

The 24 network for one.....news24 and fin24 draw a lot of traffic. News sites draw major traffic.

so everyone on vodacom go use up your data bundles :) open up news24.co.za and start refreshing! make vodacom pay for a bit of int bw :D

Oh, Justice is served !
It is time for all ISPs that are peering with MWeb to stand-up and show some guts in supporting them in this effort. Now is the time to be counted.

Please myBB list all the ISPs that are peering or are NOT peering with MWeb on your site - it is time to blacklist the non-compliant ISPs !!!

Joe Average

Firstly let me say that in principle MWEB are correct. The local peering should be open and free.

The trouble is you can't eat principles and I do believe MWEB` could have warned it's customers better.

I can live with news content being slow.

However I need access to an asp that sits on Mtn backbone. I have checked the ping times and they are about 500 plus ms. 10x as bad as yesterday.

I don't know how this translates to user experience. I will only know this in about 6 hours time. However if it impacts productivity then it impacts revenue.

If I had better notice I could have done something. Now it appears my only short term option will be to move ISPs away from MWEB` until this debate is solved.

I agree, to a point. Unfortunately, sometimes it is better to suffer a bit for a bigger cause. We all want open peering to be a reality - and who knows it might not even impact your hosted asp sites that much.

Last edited:

Biscuit1018

Expert Member
This was announced 8 days ago at the MyBroadband conference. Plenty of time for MTN to agree to fair and open peering. Blame them, rather.

Anyway, my pings to www.mtnbusiness.co.za are still around 40ms, so it hasn't happened yet.

I blame the telcos (Mtn, Telkom etc) for the existence of peering fees that shouldn't exist

I blame MWEB` for not informing it's customers properly. No ops notices were sent out.

8 days is not enough for large businesses. I suspect MWEB` gave little or no notice deliberately to force maximum confusion and force the telcos to react

Maybe the ping I did was an anomaly but my virtual server at Hetzner at awful ping times

biometrics

Honorary Master
I guess this will be good long term. But I want low latencies to games.saix.net. Going via London will make it unusable. I'm not prepared to pay R539/month to not be able to game. Anyway since Mweb's recent "upgrade" usenet downloads have crashed (ymmv) so I canceled anyway.