MWEB Is Stealing From Me. What are the laws?

Calvin22580

Just to keep it quick.

I signed up for two Mweb uncapped hosting packages a month apart and included in the package is a free domain. After looking at my account a few weeks after signing up, I noticed that they debited my account for R79 (for the domain).

I then called them, and said WTF? Then they responded that it was a system error and they would credit my Mweb account. Nothing happened for a few weeks until I called again and said WTFF? Then they credited my account after a few days.

Then I signed up for another uncapped hosting package and the exact same thing happened. I called a month ago and said WTF? And they said it was a system error and they will credit my account. I check my account this morning, and there is no credit, just the debit order for the package that went through today. I called and they said sorry, we will credit your account.

I don't really care about losing R79, but if it is a system error, it means that the same thing is happening to thousands of other users. And that pisses me off. I said to them you are stealing money. Lots of money.

Now, please tell me, I really have a lot of hope for this country, is there anything (law wise) that can hurt this company for stealing all this money. Its crazy. I'm shocked. How can they get away with it?

Arthur

Honorary Master
Stealing?

Seems more like a system or process error, which is very different. After all, they've acknowledged the error, so there is no intent.

Still, if you think a crime has been committed - and theft is still a crime - lay a charge at SAPS.

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
Just to keep it quick.

I signed up for two Mweb uncapped hosting packages a month apart and included in the package is a free domain. After looking at my account a few weeks after signing up, I noticed that they debited my account for R79 (for the domain).

I then called them, and said WTF? Then they responded that it was a system error and they would credit my Mweb account. Nothing happened for a few weeks until I called again and said WTFF? Then they credited my account after a few days.

Then I signed up for another uncapped hosting package and the exact same thing happened. I called a month ago and said WTF? And they said it was a system error and they will credit my account. I check my account this morning, and there is no credit, just the debit order for the package that went through today. I called and they said sorry, we will credit your account.

I don't really care about losing R79, but if it is a system error, it means that the same thing is happening to thousands of other users. And that pisses me off. I said to them you are stealing money. Lots of money.

Now, please tell me, I really have a lot of hope for this country, is there anything (law wise) that can hurt this company for stealing all this money. Its crazy. I'm shocked. How can they get away with it?

Good Day Calvin, please note that this is an anomaly. This is not something we are doing intentionally.

Please send me your MWEB account details and I will try and get this fixed.

Calvin22580

Stealing?

Seems more like a system or process error, which is very different. After all, they've acknowledged the error, so there is no intent.

Still, if you think a crime has been committed - and theft is still a crime - lay a charge at SAPS.

Yeah, a bit overdramatic, but even still, a system or process error that has been going on for 4 months now? That makes no sense. Surly if it involves over billing customers, they would get their techies to sort it out pronto

Calvin22580

Good Day Calvin, please note that this is an anomaly. This is not something we are doing intentionally.

Please send me your MWEB account details and I will try and get this fixed.

Yeah well after four months of this anomaly, it rather seems like this is the normality.

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
Yeah well after four months of this anomaly, it rather seems like this is the normality.

I understand your frustration, this is something that needs to be fixed on the system. Yes your account is being credited, however the route cause also needs to be fixed.

Let me try and assist with this.

Calvin22580

I understand your frustration, this is something that needs to be fixed on the system. Yes your account is being credited, however the route cause also needs to be fixed.

Let me try and assist with this.

I appreciate you trying to help. But its fine, I'll sort out my issue by myself. What I'm trying expose is the greater issue, where thousands of people, who maybe don't look at their account, or couldn't be bothered to spend hours on the phone trying to sort it out are being screwed. That is my problem.

And I have a feeling that debiting R108 from my account when I only signed up for a R29 debit order is illegal. And its that illegal part that I want to do something about

access

Honorary Master
acidrazor trolling...

i agree with the OP

four months and this 'anomaly' has just been cruising along.

sounds dodgy to me. how much interest is MWeb making of all the extra cash lying around? Will they even give it all back to the people that didnt realise or complain?

Also, the fact that a company can take any amount they please by direct debit is insane, it should be limited to the agreed amount.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Stealing?

Arthur, they have the same error occurring repeatedly over a substantial period of time. They're being negligent because it's an error in their favour, and for that reason it is basically morally speaking, stealing. If I pretend to look the other way when the till operator gives me back too much money, I am stealing.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I understand. However, I don't believe this sort of error comes from any intention from top management. Rather, it is minions who make the mistakes in the processes and customer services.
I absolutely agree that far greater emphasis by top management should be given to swiftly resolving these sorts of problems. When you take other people's money, the presumption should be that the customer's concerns are legitimate, and all efforts should be aimed at speedily resolving first the presenting problem and then the root.

And yes, knowingly benefiting from an innocent error by another can amount to a moral delict (as per your wrong-change example), which is why management should place special emphasis on swiftly repaying the customer, perhaps even with extra benefit to compensate for the unwarranted trouble the person has been put through.

Learn from this experience and develop more effective ways of escalating issues. Don't wait months dealing with minions and employees. If the normal channels fail, go to the top.

If the customer is given the runaround to get wrongly debited moneys repaid, then he should go straight to the top. If top mgt fails to respond promptly (say a week), then follow up in writing. If no response, issue summons to the CEO in the Small Claims Court - it is easy, rapid, and cheap. Include a portion in your claim for trouble and expenses (specified separately). I assure you in 99.99% of cases of an immediate resolution within 24 hours of the summons being served, together with the extra portion to cover your time, trouble and expenses.

In other words, learn how to fight. Don't get embroiled in bureaucratic battles. Win the war within minimal but focused effort.

Last edited:

access

Honorary Master
so arthur, its better for thousands of people to go through this process you suggest, instead of one entity fixing its four month 'anomaly'?

no sorry, that is just as wrong as them taking the money and not fixing the problem.