Jaco1967

Am I the only one with Outlook 2016 and hosted email at Mweb Business who cannot use the latest mail client because the Mweb Exchange server runs Exchange 2010 SP1? For Outlook 2016 to work the Exchange server needs to be 2010 SP2 or later. Mweb is more than happy to take my money every month but I have had nothing but empty promises from them. They seem not to want to come clean about this. Please tell me I am doing something wrong and Mweb is angry with me for being stupid and that is why they take my money without telling me what is going on.

Any suggestions on how to get through to Mweb Business would be appreciated.

Hi there, I am guessing they do not want to upgrade their exchange to 2010 sp2 because they do not want downtime for just one person, try asking them when they will be willing to upgrade and how long this will take, will they notify their customers?
It would take me an hour to upgrade an exchange box to a higher service pack :)

Hope all goes well...

If not you can speak to me an i will build a mail server for you....:) check us out.

Crazy Engineer.

Last edited:

Jaco1967

Hi Crazy Engineer, Thanks for your post. I would be much more understanding if Mweb talks to me and not hide away. It is almost impossible to believe that I am their only customer on outlook 2016/365. I am now paying for a service which I am not receiving. I spoke to them on July 15 about this and they then said they might upgrade their exchange server in October. I spoke to them at the beginning of October and was then told that they are not sure but they think they might upgrade it in November. There is thus no fixed plan or directive to the technical support staff as to what they should tell customers when they call in for support on hosted email. They advertise hosted email on their website yet they don't tell prospective customers that they are unable to support outlook 2016. If I am their only customer then they will probably loose me before the end of this month and only because of the way they treat me. If they are honest and return my calls I would understand and remain a loyal customer like I have been since 1998.

Jaco1967

I have thought of office 365 and the mail service but I don't know how much it would cost and how the setup will work for domain email. I will investigate.
I have had two responses from Mweb in the interim but both from technical staff. No response from my account manager. According to the technical staff they have not been told what the strategy is with regard to upgrading their exchange servers. The last person I spoke to says they are being kept in the dark since takeover by Internet Solutions. He also acknowledged that they have a few thousand exchange customers. He was not sure what will happen once these customers start upgrading to office 2016.
I have no idea how Mweb plans to handle this with their customers but they certainly are not doing it right at the moment by just keeping mum and avoiding their customers. Have asked VOX and they confirmed that they are up to date and ready for office 2016 so I am contemplating moving my exchange accounts (plural) to a more communicative service provider with a clear strategy that will value customer loyalty.

SomeoneEls

I have thought of office 365 and the mail service but I don't know how much it would cost and how the setup will work for domain email. I will investigate.
I have had two responses from Mweb in the interim but both from technical staff. No response from my account manager. According to the technical staff they have not been told what the strategy is with regard to upgrading their exchange servers. The last person I spoke to says they are being kept in the dark since takeover by Internet Solutions. He also acknowledged that they have a few thousand exchange customers. He was not sure what will happen once these customers start upgrading to office 2016.
I have no idea how Mweb plans to handle this with their customers but they certainly are not doing it right at the moment by just keeping mum and avoiding their customers. Have asked VOX and they confirmed that they are up to date and ready for office 2016 so I am contemplating moving my exchange accounts (plural) to a more communicative service provider with a clear strategy that will value customer loyalty.

Go with office 365, Vox use Global micro to provide their hosted exchange and we've had endless problems in the last couple of months.

Jaco1967

Thanks for the heads-up. What is your opinion of Exchange online instead of having to upgrade to office 365 business premium in order to get to 365 mail. I have 365 Home which was perfect for my purposes until I ran into the exchange problem. To upgrade to Business premium will cost R171 per month where I now pay R94 per month and on the Exchange online I will pay R55 in addition. Not big money but a saving nevertheless unless there is something I should know.

SomeoneEls

Thanks for the heads-up. What is your opinion of Exchange online instead of having to upgrade to office 365 business premium in order to get to 365 mail. I have 365 Home which was perfect for my purposes until I ran into the exchange problem. To upgrade to Business premium will cost R171 per month where I now pay R94 per month and on the Exchange online I will pay R55 in addition. Not big money but a saving nevertheless unless there is something I should know.

I can't see why you'd have a problems using office 365 home and exchange online but not 100% sure if you can sign up for both with the same account. Can't see why you wouldn't be able to but I've never tried. Is it purely for personal email or is it a small/home business? Office 365 business premium basically just includes support for a few business niceties.

Obviously Office 365 home is nice though as you effectively get licenses for 5 users.

Enigma_

My advice would be to move away from Mweb's hosted exchange and move it to Office 365 hosted on Microsoft Azure. 2010 SP1 is pretty old for an exchange setup that is customer facing. Added bonus of moving away would be that you don't really have the threat of something going wrong, or breaking, which has happened before, especially when it comes to upgrade time.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Do you like paying more then you should for a sub par service?
Move along and get Office365, haven't looked back

Jaco1967

Tried moving to Office365 and now I get the royal runaround from Mweb. Unwilling to assist or release anything for me to be able to set up a domain email of which the domain belongs to me! Their service now starts bordering on theft since I am now at a point where I am starting to contemplate abandoning my domain and start fresh with a new one but this is my brand and really important to me. The small guy trying to make a living just keeps on getting screwed by the likes of Mweb. Consultant I spoke to advised that I make a backup of my email ASAP since there is a likelihood that "mail can go missing" once I have notified them of my intentions. When you think things cannot get any worse Mweb pulls out yet another trick to prove how low they can stoop to ensure that they provide the worst possible customer experience.

Ipwn 4

Expert Member
Tried moving to Office365 and now I get the royal runaround from Mweb. Unwilling to assist or release anything for me to be able to set up a domain email of which the domain belongs to me! Their service now starts bordering on theft since I am now at a point where I am starting to contemplate abandoning my domain and start fresh with a new one but this is my brand and really important to me. The small guy trying to make a living just keeps on getting screwed by the likes of Mweb. Consultant I spoke to advised that I make a backup of my email ASAP since there is a likelihood that "mail can go missing" once I have notified them of my intentions. When you think things cannot get any worse Mweb pulls out yet another trick to prove how low they can stoop to ensure that they provide the worst possible customer experience.

Do you need help? I am sure there are many a company here that can assist.
What you should do is the following:

1) get ownership of your domain, use someone like Afrihost or Domains to transfer the domain. (Do not sign up for hosting if you don't need to)
2) get control of your DNS, local ISPs are generally pretty terrible at DNS so sign up for CloudFlare (the free package) and change your nameservers to what they give you.
3) now that you have control over your DNS make a plan to change the DNS to point to 365.

If you execute the above correctly you should be able to make the move without downtime etc.
Good luck getting your domain back from Mweb though, they are useless.