MWEB peering cuts ‘a storm in a teacup’ says MTN Business

Franna

Expert Member
The only thing I agree with:
“It is concerning for us (MTN) that this level of change is done in the peak of a business day.”

Also do not understand why MWeb could not do the change over the weekend.

DavidP

Flawed concept

MTN's view that network traffic in one direction is not mutually beneficial is fundamentally flawed.

MTNS clients want the traffic to reach MWEB clients just as much as MWEB clients want MTN data?

biometrics

Honorary Master
Always two sides to every story. I've been thinking Mweb is being a bit disingenuous.

Alestorm

Expert Member
MTN's view that network traffic in one direction is not mutually beneficial is fundamentally flawed.

MTNS clients want the traffic to reach MWEB clients just as much as MWEB clients want MTN data?

I agree, but you see you're talking about clients (and this includes the growth of the South African online economy as well) but MTN don't seem to care about either of those. They want it to beneficial for both companies.

It's obvious that the right thing to do would be to just peer for free with MWeb. Screw MTN.

stm101

off course they would say it is not a big deal. MTN is in the wrong.
By the way, peering is not always a even traffic flow between ISP's. EG. if Google said that it wants to peer with you (YOUTUBE TRAFFIC ETC.) and you were currently getting this from an expensive IPtransit link, what would you say? Google does do this in the USA with ISP's. the traffic is mostly one way but it is still beneficial to the ISP.

sin_x

Only if as many MWEB clients want MTN data as MTN clients want MWEB data. There has to be an equal amount in both directions.

7th day adventist church

What I don't get is how MTN is trying to measure bandwidth as this tangible substance that can be put on a scale in order to trade between parties. What does it matter if there is a deficit? Free peering works both ways - why does it have to be a 1:1 thing? Greed.

This is why we can't have nice things.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Quelle surprise..

MTN doesnt want to peer with MWEB and not get paid barjillions of rands for it.. Next thing, Telkom will be telling us that its somehow bad for all of us if they dropped their ridiculous force-you-to-rent-a-phone-line-even-if-you-only-want-ADSL policy.

lucifir

Expert Member
all the problems seem to be with mtn biz only... wat about telkom , voda and the other guys?? have they peered with mweb??
cause the only complaints I have seen are from people with mtn
mtn can try to hold out ... but this is inevitable .... mweb will win this battle :)

davemc

Executive Member
So, MTN's entire argument is based on:
The ISP with the most hosted content that produces the most user traffic must be paid.

Now, how exactly is people downloading gigabytes of free games worth more than people accessing their online banking (which only uses a few megabytes)?

Flawed and stupid logic.

alt21

I'll just move all my hosting from Hetzner (I pay R3k a month for 50GB) to Mweb (where I will pay R700 a month for 50GB), I can see Mweb will still get blamed for a lot of issues in the next couple of weeks (banking site goes offline - blame Mweb)

Oracle666

I cant believe MTN just openly confessed that all they care about is profiting from what ever source they can get and not the consumer. Yes it is business, but they have no ethics. I hope Telkom's 8.ta gives them hell..

Lounger

Expert Member
Thompson further highlighted that MWEB may inadvertently hurt their own subscribers who may now experience high latency and put strain on MWEB’s international capacity.
Another thing to blame for their high latency. A smokescreen.

Mr K

I cant believe MTN just openly confessed that all they care about is profiting from what ever source they can get and not the consumer. Yes it is business, but they have no ethics. I hope Telkom's 8.ta gives them hell..

+1