• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

MWEB Price Increases

Hi

Just wanted to know if anyone else received price increase emails from MWEB? A family member of mine only uses MWEB for the email address but he had to have some product to keep his email so MWEB had him take the 1GB ADSL (which he doesn't use). They've increased the price for the 1GB ADSL from R29pm to R49pm :mad:

Venomous

Honorary Master
Hi

Just wanted to know if anyone else received price increase emails from MWEB? A family member of mine only uses MWEB for the email address but he had to have some product to keep his email so MWEB had him take the 1GB ADSL (which he doesn't use). They've increased the price for the 1GB ADSL from R29pm to R49pm :mad:
Let him ask to convert that to a dial up account. I seem to recall that was R19. So even if they increase it by R10(50%) its the same as what he was paying.

I have a customer we set up the dial up story for, with another isp, as that was the cheapest option, about 2 years ago.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the info Brenny.

MWEB has confirmed that there was a price increase. The details are linked to a specific account, so you can find out by contacting MWEB with your family member's email address.

[MENTION=104306]Venomous[/MENTION]
I didn't know that might still be an option :) Thanks for the tip!
[MENTION=1]rpm[/MENTION] Thanks. Will contact them later today :)

Lupus

Honorary Master
I saw that as well, seems it's R20 across the board as mine went from R909 to R929.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I saw that as well, seems it's R20 across the board as mine went from R909 to R929.
It looks like the price increases were R10, R20, and R30. We are trying to find the details.

BTW: Can you please forward what you received from MWEB to us: news at mybroadband co za

Thor

Honorary Master
If uncapped, Mweb is better for instance on a 10Mbps line, Mweb starts throttling you at 300GB whereas webafrica starts at 100GB.
Mweb throttles way before that. Don't trust their website.

justplain

Expert Member
10mb uncapped went up from R609 to R629
And according to a mail from MWEB about a month ago, throttling on uncapped accounts is no more...
I was hoping for a price DECREASE or speed bump.... :(

We've got some great news about your Uncapped MWEB Fibre product. From June 2018 we're changing our Fair Usage Policy which means that your usage threshold will no longer apply. Yes - we're not going to apply throttling rules to your product, so you can look forward to doing so much more online!

rpm

Admin
Staff member
If you are an MWEB subscriber and your price increased, can you please post what your price was, and what your new price is now.

kang

R809 to R829
20 down/2 up uncapped fibre.
Started it last month so I was a bit suspicious when the price jumped after just 1 month.

Last edited:

YM_80

What did you pay before?
R255 per month. I still have no idea what that'll rise to, but not bothered to calculate it...they should have made it super-clear in their email, but they didn't. (They have been clearer in the past - but not this time.)

Devinity

Hi

If it's only the data that is going up, then for that little data they are using they may as well sign up for a free data account one or more ISPs that offer free data accounts and use a Gmail address. All they will then be paying for is the ADSL line.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the responses :)
So here's what we've implemented since the article that @rpm wrote/initiated:
I signed my family member up for the hosting promotion with Axxess(Free co.za domain registration, 6 months free hosting, 6 months half price@ R19.50) in order to get him his own domain name. I then forwarded all his mweb emails to the new email address and enabled the auto-reply telling people his new email address. We'll keep it running for a few months and then cancel the contract.