MWEB quality of service

Grouter

Expert Member
Their mail service, managed by Synaq I realise, is almost as bad as Telkomsa's.
As for their Junk mail filter - that thing's high on coke or something.
I've seen mweb's own client invoices cast adrift into the online junk folder, never to be seen again.
A total joke.

Stonemason

Been with Mweb since dial-up was the only option. Never had a problem and have always been able to speak to a manager whenever I needed to. Most of the posters here have never been with Mweb but like lemmings they follow the lead of a few negative people. Mweb is no worse and no better than most of the other ISP's

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Been with Mweb since dial-up was the only option. Never had a problem and have always been able to speak to a manager whenever I needed to. Most of the posters here have never been with Mweb but like lemmings they follow the lead of a few negative people. Mweb is no worse and no better than most of the other ISP's
So you are an employee at MWeb? :unsure:

Brian_G

Expert Member
Agreed.
Don't like their extra forms needed to get help, and their email doesn't suit me, otherwise fine.

And now the charge R150 to change your speed. WTF MWEB
That's a worry though, first I've heard of this.

ab-user

Expert Member

Used m-web ADSL long ago. They complained that I used too much data on a 4 meg line. Then throttled me HARD. I cancelled mid-month. Never again for m-web.

Miresh

PLEASE READ BEFORE SIGNING UP WITH MWEB IN 2021.

This survey should be revived to make people aware of the level of customer service from MWEB in 2021.

They have a similar set up to RAIN. No offices and all staff work remotely from home, which means no sincere customer care. They just keep transferring the calls to make it look like they are doing their jobs.

The charge for dialing their 087 number is a premium rated call and you normally hold for 30mins before your call is answered. On average your call to them will cost you approx R20.00. The service level agreement states in paragraph 4.2 that all calls will be attended to in 3 minutes. It almost seems like their aim is to frustrate you. The customer service staff will never call you back. They will cut or disconnect your call at their discretion and you will spend another R20.00 calling them back until you are so frustrated that you will want to cancel your service.

Service levels at MWEB is at its lowest.

b1gstan

Interestingly @MWEBHelp seems to be steering clear of this thread - which is not surprising - given the abysmal service I've been forced to endure because my company makes us use them.
Everything @Miresh says is as I experienced it.
Just today those fools managed to get my line disconnected but they don't know why. It's a 48-hour turnaround on the call I logged to get me reconnected and when I asked for an escalation they logged a call for a manager to call me.
Let that sink in. That's their idea of an escalation.

system32

Expert Member
Using MWEB 100Mbps/100Mbps on MetroFibre

Been getting increased latency during peak times and slow download speeds.

1618256922168.png

1618257065151.png

I've logged a call, just wondering if anyone else has similar problems on MWEB/MetroFibre.

zolly

Expert Member
Using MWEB 100Mbps/100Mbps on MetroFibre

Been getting increased latency during peak times and slow download speeds.

View attachment 1051039

View attachment 1051043

I've logged a call, just wondering if anyone else has similar problems on MWEB/MetroFibre.

It's network congestion, but would be weird for it to be ISP related? Whenever I had these problems on ADSL it was always related to Telkom's DSL infrastructure. When I switched to fibre Octotel had some issues during peak hours as well until they did some upgrades.

system32

Expert Member
It's network congestion, but would be weird for it to be ISP related? Whenever I had these problems on ADSL it was always related to Telkom's DSL infrastructure. When I switched to fibre Octotel had some issues during peak hours as well until they did some upgrades.
The problem is still not resolved.
Now getting <5Mbps on 100Mbps MWEB/MetroFibre line from ~18h30 to ~22h30
MetroFiber checked the line and the "dB" is good/within limits.

Checking on FB, I see a few complaining complaining
1618821864918.png

On our local WhatsApp group as well
1618821940134.png

MWEB Fibre slows down from ~18h30 to ~22h30 every night.

Not sure if the congestion at MWEB or on the GPON Optical Splitter (32:1)

@MWEBHelp can you investigate.

EDIT:
Got a call back from MWEB
Problem seems to be MWEB / MetroFibre combination only and affecting a number of customers.
MWEB are working with MetroFibre to resolve the problem - no ETA for a fix.

Last edited:

MWEBHelp

MWEB Representative
Company Rep
Good day, apologies for not getting to this thread sooner.
If you still require assistance then PM me your MWEB details and let me know and I will do my best to assist.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Had them for 3 months, never again. They were useless. So I am one with experience. That was on ADSL too.
Thought about signing up with them for fibre last year and then I remembered how useless they were.
I was with Webafrica for 8 years after canning Mweb!

BlueOne

I am so glad (and sorry) to see I am not alone in my misery with this crowd.
I have Metrofibre through Mweb and this is how my packet loss has looked every night this week.
Fibre Down 20210422.JPG
I have other graphs from other nights, but a waste of time posting as they all look identical.

They responded once to my query and every day since I have posted updates with graphs like this, and no updates.
This replaced a perfectly working ADSL line, that was there when I needed it.
I am really disappointed as I have been with Mweb for over a decade.
Thank goodness I have Rain 5G so the family and I have continued to be able to work and play.
Ironically, on this graph above, we were all on Rain. There was no one using this Fibre except Pingplotter.

Metrofibre must be the most expensive option out there. I have no problem paying for a reliable service. This is the worst ever.

joshuatree

Expert Member
I am so glad (and sorry) to see I am not alone in my misery with this crowd.
I have Metrofibre through Mweb and this is how my packet loss has looked every night this week.
View attachment 1057015
I have other graphs from other nights, but a waste of time posting as they all look identical.

They responded once to my query and every day since I have posted updates with graphs like this, and no updates.
This replaced a perfectly working ADSL line, that was there when I needed it.
I am really disappointed as I have been with Mweb for over a decade.
Thank goodness I have Rain 5G so the family and I have continued to be able to work and play.
Ironically, on this graph above, we were all on Rain. There was no one using this Fibre except Pingplotter.

Metrofibre must be the most expensive option out there. I have no problem paying for a reliable service. This is the worst ever.

Just out of interest, Rain 5G Standard or Premium, and how do you rate it?

BlueOne

Just out of interest, Rain 5G Standard or Premium, and how do you rate it?
Hi there,

I am on premium. I had a some issues at the beginning of last year, but for the last year it has gone down twice and was fixed the same day.
I do have to add, I am really close to the mast. I have my router on a window cill facing the mast I am that close. Get my 200MBs during the day, and it goes to around 350-400MBs at night. Very happy.