My bitcoin was stolen from my luno account! Luno is not safe .

My bitcoin was stolen from my luno account without my permission. They created an API and transferred my bitcoin. I need help to recover back my bitcoin. Luno help !!!!!!!

Thanks.

mr_norris

Expert Member
My bitcoin was stolen from my luno account without my permission. They created an API and transferred my bitcoin. I need help to recover back my bitcoin. Luno help !!!!!!!

Thanks.
A few questions:

- Did you contact Luno?
- Did you have 2FA enabled on your account?
- Did you perhaps click on some sort of phishing email?

Completely irrelevant, but the caps in the title isn't necessary. Luno is also pretty secure, I've used them for a while. Don't have much, but nothing was stolen from my account.

Good luck.

Report it to SARS. They will help you, promise.
A few questions:

- Did you contact Luno?
- Did you have 2FA enabled on your account?
- Did you perhaps click on some sort of phishing email?

Completely irrelevant, but the caps in the title isn't necessary. Luno is also pretty secure, I've used them for a while. Don't have much, but nothing was stolen from my account.

Good luck.

Thanks for your concern. Firstly, `I will like to express that major concern is Nobody has my details or access to my device as I am a complete careful person. secondly, I don't have the 2fa on not because I wouldn't but because I think it automatically request me to provide code whenever I want to sign in and also whenever `I want to do any transaction. I know not to click any link or funny looking email I receive so that isn't even something to consider. I am of the opinion that maybe a software has been created that enable this hackers sign into people's luno account , create an API secretly which allows them transfer bitcoin without any stress.

As regards my CAP, any angry customer who just loss money in this time the world is experiencing a major deep in bitcoin will be pained. Hence I'm only airing out my anger and a cry for help as I just got robbed of thousands.

About 25 other cases here on MyBB, not a single one got his money back. School fees dude.

It's a shame then, if #Luno can cross their fingers and watch their customers suffer such loss then I am short or words.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Thanks for your concern. Firstly, `I will like to express that major concern is Nobody has my details or access to my device as I am a complete careful person. secondly, I don't have the 2fa on not because I wouldn't but because I think it automatically request me to provide code whenever I want to sign in and also whenever `I want to do any transaction. I know not to click any link or funny looking email I receive so that isn't even something to consider. I am of the opinion that maybe a software has been created that enable this hackers sign into people's luno account , create an API secretly which allows them transfer bitcoin without any stress.

As regards my CAP, any angry customer who just loss money in this time the world is experiencing a major deep in bitcoin will be pained. Hence I'm only airing out my anger and a cry for help as I just got robbed of thousands.
Huh what, first learn to write sentences before you come here to ask for help. That is really key.

Secondly, I don't understand your reason behind not enable 2fa even after reading it a few times.

The short end of this story, you refused to enable 2fa then dont cry about losing your coins.

smkungfu

Thanks.
That's what wallets are for. Never leave your bitcoin in the exchange.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Then don't dabble in risky business.
Lesson learnt hopefully.

P.S Maybe use some of those funds you plowed into a dodgy, virtual, well publicised scam to brush up on your grammar skills

Then don't dabble in risky business.
Lesson learnt hopefully.

P.S Maybe use some of those funds you plowed into a dodgy, virtual, well publicised scam to brush up on your grammar skills
MirageF1, I must express my total disappointment at your response. I went back and read my post and I honestly can't see "Any" sentence aimed at sympathisers, or concerned members of this forum that could provoke you to the extent of sending such harsh comment. Your profile reads you're an "Expert Member" on this platform thus I would have expected you to be more diplomatic about your response and approaches or simply mind your business if you have nothing positive to contribute.

I am not writing an essay here neither are we in school that I need to lookout for mistakes or write in proper Queens English for me to be listened to or helped. This is Africa and "English" is not our first language. So don't come here to bash me because of that, I didn't ask for a teacher to school me on how to type my concern or share my experience with the world to find help and also protect innocent people from falling a victim.

Firstly, I want to sincerely thank everyone that sympathised with me, all your creative criticism was well taken and I promise to be more aware in future.

I completely understand and accept my fault for not enabling the 2 factor authentication. But now let me states/point out some fact here.

1- My Account was accessed from a different location and on a different device, it is reasonable to believe that Luno is suppose to send an authorization code to my email to grant access to log into an account on a different device in a different location, that didn’t happen.

2- An API was created without Luno authenticating the API by sending a link to my phone number or email address for me to click and authenticate that I’m the one who’s creating an API.

3. Lastly, all my bitcoin was sent to an address without receiving any link from Luno to Authorize the transaction before allowing the transaction go through. Sometimes last week, I tried to make a transaction on Luno for just 0.9 btc. Luno sent a link to my phone to click and authorize the transaction, why didn’t they do that in this case of a much higher value of bitcoin??? I believe this is negligence and security breach on Luno‘s part. Let’s call a spade a spade.

My final words, I have decided to move on with my L, Just felt the need to put this out so that someone, somewhere might read and learn a thing or two from my ordeal.

Thank you all for your concern.

maumau

Honorary Master
Huh what, first learn to write sentences before you come here to ask for help. That is really key.

Secondly, I don't understand your reason behind not enable 2fa even after reading it a few times.

The short end of this story, you refused to enable 2fa then dont cry about losing your coins.

I agree about the sentences/grammar. English can't be his first language.

Praemon

Expert Member
It's really odd that Luno aren't sending authorisation checks to your email/phone number. If that's the case, then you have a reason to be upset with them and should follow up.

However, it's worth mentioning that 2-factor is not just there for phishing. It's also to protect your account in case you use the same email/password on another site that gets hacked or leaks data. So it's always important to activate 2-factor where any money is involved.

Daruk

Honorary Master
No e wallet is safe. If you want safe, use cold storage. Even then, if your computer is compromised when you receive your private key or create the wallet then you’re going to lose your crypto anyway.

The real life lesson is don’t trust who you think are your friends and don’t share computers or click ****.
IMO the best strategy is to set up a virtual machine with encrypted file system for your crypto and back that up somewhere safe.

Don’t use it for day to day stuff.

It's really odd that Luno aren't sending authorisation checks to your email/phone number. If that's the case, then you have a reason to be upset with them and should follow up.

However, it's worth mentioning that 2-factor is not just there for phishing. It's also to protect your account in case you use the same email/password on another site that gets hacked or leaks data. So it's always important to activate 2-factor where any money is involved.

Thanks for understanding my concern. I accept my fault as I should have activated the 2FA, I will be more careful in future.