My bitcoin was stolen from my luno account! Luno is not safe .

Daruk

Honorary Master
3. Lastly, all my bitcoin was sent to an address without receiving any link from Luno to Authorize the transaction before allowing the transaction go through. Sometimes last week, I tried to make a transaction on Luno for just 0.9 btc. Luno sent a link to my phone to click and authorize the transaction, why didn’t they do that in this case of a much higher value of bitcoin??? I believe this is negligence and security breach on Luno‘s part. Let’s call a spade a spade.
That 0.9 btc transaction... did you do it using the API?

No e wallet is safe. If you want safe, use cold storage. Even then, if your computer is compromised when you receive your private key or create the wallet then you’re going to lose your crypto anyway.

The real life lesson is don’t trust who you think are your friends and don’t share computers or click ****.
IMO the best strategy is to set up a virtual machine with encrypted file system for your crypto and back that up somewhere safe.

Don’t use it for day to day stuff.

Thanks for your advise. I will do as advised, God bless

Quick question, do you save your passwords on your phone?

And are you using an Android or Apple device?

No, I'm good with remembering things and never had a need to write down or safe my password anywhere before. I use Apple device.

RedViking

Honorary Master
The biggest challenge I would guess with these online wallets is hackers. Same with your bank account. Make sure you have 2FA activates and as many other security measures as possible. Don't think you'll get your money back.

Can you store a big amount in multiple wallets?

That 0.9 btc transaction... did you do it using the API?
No I didn't. Infact I have never created an API in my Luno Platform before, hence I expected Luno to authenticate if they notice something strange happening in an account since it is the first time an API was created.

The biggest challenge I would guess with these online wallets is hackers. Same with your bank account. Make sure you have 2FA activates and as many other security measures as possible. Don't think you'll get your money back.

Can you store a big amount in multiple wallets?

Noted. Thanks for the advise I will make sure I follow through.

mr_norris

Expert Member
1- My Account was accessed from a different location and on a different device, it is reasonable to believe that Luno is suppose to send an authorization code to my email to grant access to log into an account on a different device in a different location, that didn’t happen.

2- An API was created without Luno authenticating the API by sending a link to my phone number or email address for me to click and authenticate that I’m the one who’s creating an API.

3. Lastly, all my bitcoin was sent to an address without receiving any link from Luno to Authorize the transaction before allowing the transaction go through. Sometimes last week, I tried to make a transaction on Luno for just 0.9 btc. Luno sent a link to my phone to click and authorize the transaction, why didn’t they do that in this case of a much higher value of bitcoin??? I believe this is negligence and security breach on Luno‘s part. Let’s call a spade a spade.
1. When you sign in via the desktop, the email you. I've never heard of authorization emails about logging in from different locations.
2. API's can can be created after you've logged in. If you have no login protection like 2FA, you're pretty screwed if your password gets out.
3. If 2FA had been setup, it would have asked for a code before the transaction took place.

I'm not really sure why your expectations are what they are when they have quite a lot of info on their blog about security, as well as a security centre which gives you full control. I understand your frustration having lost money though. IMO, they could improve, but they have protection in place which you never used and would have prevented this.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
1. When you sign in via the desktop, the email you. I've never heard of authorization emails about logging in from different locations.
2. API's can can be created after you've logged in. If you have no login protection like 2FA, you're pretty screwed if your password gets out.
3. If 2FA had been setup, it would have asked for a code before the transaction took place.

I'm not really sure why your expectations are what they are when they have quite a lot of info on their blog about security, as well as a security centre which gives you full control. I understand your frustration having lost money though. IMO, they could improve, but they have protection in place which you never used and would have prevented this.
You probably would not even need to go that far if you know a little Assembly...

Moto Guzzi

My bitcoin was stolen from my luno account without my permission. They created an API and transferred my bitcoin. I need help to recover back my bitcoin. Luno help !!!!!!!

Thanks.
Its interesting to see how "wonderfull" and "promising" the crypto thing wants to be, but then it starts from the mud deep down under in the shadows of evil, now forget about my money, forever.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Its interesting to see how "wonderfull" and "promising" the crypto thing wants to be, but then it starts from the mud deep down under in the shadows of evil, now forget about my money, forever.
This is not Crypto fault...this is the user's fault.

John Tempus

Expert Member
What the hell is everyone's problem with OP's grammer. You bunch of pissies. His question was clear and easily understood.
I did not want to make broad assumptions but it did look like some vague attempt to create deniability for losing family and friends coins.

My problem with it is that his whole premise based on his writing ability looks like some premeditated way of creating a false case of theft amidst a market crash. He might have cashed out crypto he managed for friends and family or mismanaged it and now with the crash he is creating a way out.

Yes I might seem epicly cynical but it wont be the first time I see these types of situations unfold.

If this is a legit case of losing coins due to access due to no 2fa then I do feel sorry but hope he learned his lesson.

Daruk

Honorary Master
No I didn't. Infact I have never created an API in my Luno Platform before, hence I expected Luno to authenticate if they notice something strange happening in an account since it is the first time an API was created.
Right, so there's no requirement for approval of the transaction via the API, that's why you enable it with eyes wide open. In your case you say you didn't enable it, but since your account was compromised, it was easy to just enable it then perform the transaction under the radar because you didn't enable 2fa.

LUNO! About time you enabled 2FA by default. Just do it!