My bitcoin was stolen from my luno account! Luno is not safe .

John Tempus

Expert Member
Shifting the goalposts I see...
Not shifting any goalposts, you just don't have a clue what you are talking about or deliberately choose not to.

I would have tried to accept your logic but your approach to why 2FA is not a solution in this case made me realize just how clueless. I even chuckled a bit at your suggestion that 2FA is not foolproof. Of any security alternative, 2FA is the most foolproof ease of use secure method that anyone could implement, good luck guessing newly generated auth keys while you are at it.

Daruk

Honorary Master
So everyone is blaming Luno, when this dude got hacked....wow.
Why not when it’s in their power to prevent the hack?

Not everyone is technically inclined and tech companies should consider that if they want to be take seriously in the mainstream.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Why not when it’s in their power to prevent the hack?
Its part of their responsibility. The other half are the users who do not think to use the noodle a bit and research on Internet Security EG: Don't keep your Bitcoin wallet on your phone.

IOPS

Its part of their responsibility. The other half are the users who do not think to use the noodle a bit and research on Internet Security EG: Don't keep your Bitcoin wallet on your phone.
Every single mail I get from Luno has something about security in it, to the point where it gets annoying.
The entire point of Bitcoin is that you control your money and don't rely on companies/middlemen to do so. Granted Luno controls your private keys but you can still be responsible with it.

I trust Luno, but I don't store BTC with them unless it's small amounts of trading funds.

It sucks that OP lost his money but it's still his fault.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Every single mail I get from Luno has something about security in it, to the point where it gets annoying.
The entire point of Bitcoin is that you control your money and don't rely on companies/middlemen to do so. Granted Luno controls your private keys but you can still be responsible with it.

I trust Luno, but I don't store BTC with them unless it's small amounts of trading funds.

...and yet Luno can easily mitigate it.

BitcoinZAR

Sorry for your loss. 2FA could have saved you, and this is a hard lesson to learn. I still think 2FA should be enforced on all accounts, and that people should never store their crypto on an exchange. Use an exchange as an exchange, then withdraw after. That will at least reduce your risk. Was it definitely API, or could someone have got onto your phone?

I suggest you also check out this post:
https://www.bitcoinzar.co.za/why-its-a-bad-idea-to-store-your-bitcoin-on-an-exchange/

John Tempus

Expert Member
How?
Every time I do something they mail me, if you're even vaguely paying attention you'll be alerted of something happening.
Yup, you login, email spam(which is good) , you deposit and email spam , you trade and email spam , you withdraw and email spam.

I am not sure how they handle API related transactions but I would suspect it would also trigger emails. I personally have not used Luno api, liquidity is too shallow to even bother hook trading bot to the exchange.

Corelli

Revenge is sweet. Bitcoin will be dropped till it reaches 1 usd, which means Luno will be paid almost zero in fees.

Wont be a good spot for them

Swa

Honorary Master
Revenge is sweet. Bitcoin will be dropped till it reaches 1 usd, which means Luno will be paid almost zero in fees.

Wont be a good spot for them
LOL. You realise at $1 people have 3600 times the buying power they have now? A single whale can pick it up and sit with it to make the price go up.

Corelli

It is a mobile currency, platform agnostic or not the main use case to use it as a cash replacement is mobile. Not sure how you gathered me stating its a mobile currency somehow implied its only mobile.

I will assume you could not figure it out so let me use more words this time.

Bitcoin is a mobile currency but not mobile only currency.

Just because today it is seemingly mostly used as an asset class have nothing to do with the original intend to be used as a cash replacement. Again, explain to me how you would not use a cash replacement 99/100 times in mobile form.

If you seriously think that Bitcoin was not designed to primarily function in the real world as a mobile currency you don't seem to think much at all and I should not even be typing these responses.
Crypto is a digital Currency. MPESA is a mobile currency. The one works solely via a Mobile phone, whereas the digital currency can run on any digital device.

As such Bitcoin is digital, not mobile. It uses different technologies.

And Bitcoin was designed as a science experiment, similar to Banksy that does Grafitti work to make a point about something he/she feels strongly about.

Corelli

LOL. You realise at $1 people have 3600 times the buying power they have now? A single whale can pick it up and sit with it to make the price go up.
Who says most havent dont that. Have a look at Ripple. When it launched compared to what its worth now. Soo many currencies gets manipulated to go up and down. Bytecoin is another example.

BitcoinZAR

Bitcoin will never reach $1 again...there are too many people who will buy it all up way before it ever reaches that price.

Imaculate

Pls how can I create a private account for bitcoin ?