My car is covered in greasy bitumen - Driving on N1 near Kroonstad

zairek

Hi Guys,

I was driving on the N1 to Bloem from JHB in heavy rain, there is roadworks ongoing around Kroonstad and bitumen mixed with rain water is sprayed and dried out all over my vehicle. Is there any recourse or claim I can make to SANRAL? Anybody with similar experience to share?

Thanks

web

Executive Member
Wipe with diesel or paraffin, then wash your car normally, don't do it in your driveway though if it is a premix driveway as the diesel and paraffin will "eat" your premix, actually car wash liquid does the same over time. This is why car washes are meant to have concrete floors as well as separate sludge tanks.

marco79

Expert Member
Hi Guys,

I was driving on the N1 to Bloem from JHB in heavy rain, there is roadworks ongoing around Kroonstad and bitumen mixed with rain water is sprayed and dried out all over my vehicle. Is there any recourse or claim I can make to SANRAL? Anybody with similar experience to share?

Thanks
I don't think any contractor would be brave enough to work with bitumen in the rain. Bitumen is also a very hard/stiff product when cool/cold. You might have an emulsion mixture sprayed onto your vehicle.

Your best bet is when passing there again is to stop at the Contractors site camp and ask them to wash your vehicle. Legal recourse would cost you much more than a decent car wash.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
Sandpaper is the best option here. Start with a coarse grit (P150) in a circular motion. And finish with a very fine water paper (P1200). I dont think you have a claim against the roads agency.

Please post pics of the finished product.

Bizkit87

Executive Member
So while the R21 construction was happening, I had to drive that road everyday, it cost me 3x windscreens, 4x rim repairs, and countless paint scratches. Car covered in that k@k was least of the worries. basically they told me 'unlucky' and gtfo...

web

Executive Member
So while the R21 construction was happening, I had to drive that road everyday, it cost me 3x windscreens, 4x rim repairs, and countless paint scratches. Car covered in that k@k was least of the worries. basically they told me 'unlucky' and gtfo...
:D good contractor, I do the same that is what insurance is for, if your insurance company feels "I" am liable they can talk to my insurance company.

catman37

Expert Member
Had the side of my car splattered with Tar. Took me most of a Saturday with Tar remover to clean all the off.

Just make sure you put some wax afterwards to protect the paint :)

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Because we BELIEVE what the adverts say right?
Naturally. My car is covered in diamond guard, I got those verimark windscreen wipers, and I only use prolong. I'm just saving up to get that vacuum cleaner that can lift a bowling ball and I'm all set.