My Defy Oven just stopped working

ForceFate

Honorary Master
On the other hand I fixed mine by installing a Bosch :p
Did the same. The oven had propensity for burning wires connected to the elements. Heat insulation was adequate.

One day it stopped working again (It wasn't the wires!) and my fiancee instructed me to "get rid of the junk". I did. Living happily ever after.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Wait until Vorsprung Durch Technic comes to a standstill. Dan gaan jy k@k en betaal. German stuff is wonderfull, they're innovative, great stuff, BMW, Audi, Science , engineering ... buck it, but when it goes wrong O F^&*()_ they're expensive then.
:wtf:

:D

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Hi all. I'm new to this forum.
I have a Defy Gemini tfan multioven double door.
Please can someone advise where this magical switch is. Really battling to find it.
Did you read the post describing where it is? Maybe you have an oven without the stoopid switch in it? I could never work out what the switch was for anyway, and resolved if it ever gave me a problem again I would simply by pass it.

So maybe you do have a genuine element failure ?

MoIk

Did you read the post describing where it is? Maybe you have an oven without the stoopid switch in it? I could never work out what the switch was for anyway, and resolved if it ever gave me a problem again I would simply by pass it.

So maybe you do have a genuine element failure ?
I did read the post describing where it is.
I also checked/tested the element.
Def not element failure.
No fuses also.
Just can't find the Flippin switch.
Btw, oven was bought in 1995, I think it's about time it needs to be replaced.

Thanks to the posters on this thread I've just saved myself 3k. For reference, in my case the magic switch was (looking from behind) on the left, about hallway between top and bottom. Hidden behind some insulation fibre, after removing the back cover first. Thanks again.

My Defy under counter oven has just packed up ( 600 s )

I have taken it to pieces and cant seem to find any fuses??? do these new ovens still use fuses???

Could it be the element or thermostat. How do i test these?

I always thought i was not technicaly challenged......but i'[m starting to feel a little stupid...:confused:

Do any of you guys know anything about these under counter type ovens??
No

scab13

10 years later and this thread is still saving ovens!
I thought I'd snap a pic of that magic reset switch for reference. (I was still looking for the damn thing long after finding it, without realizing it was what I was looking for, almost closed everything back up defeated!)
20180704_180134.jpg
20180704_180151.jpg

Many thanks!

dalkill

10 yrs on, and this defy stoves still giving headaches.
Mine has the exact opposite problem. Oven does not switch off.

When i put the switch on 0 marker, i can feel it click into the off position, but the light stays on.
I thought thermo might be bust, but if anything, if that the cause it should default to not go on at all?

I then opened the back of the oven... and there was that little switch.
I bought the stove second hand recently, and it looks like someone simply bypassed that switch.
Could that be the reason for the oven staying on.
What is the purpose of that switch?

Nick333

Honorary Master
10 yrs on, and this defy stoves still giving headaches.
Mine has the exact opposite problem. Oven does not switch off.

When i put the switch on 0 marker, i can feel it click into the off position, but the light stays on.
I thought thermo might be bust, but if anything, if that the cause it should default to not go on at all?

I then opened the back of the oven... and there was that little switch.
I bought the stove second hand recently, and it looks like someone simply bypassed that switch.
Could that be the reason for the oven staying on.
What is the purpose of that switch?
I don't know, but I'd guess it's a thermostat. If that's right, it probably wouldn't prevent the oven from switching off, that's generally not the purpose of a thermostat. I'd guess the actual dial switch is faulty.

This thread pops up every now and again. I think this post deserves an honor mention as one of the greatest threads to have come out of MyBB. People from across the world stumble onto this thread and saves ovens. [MENTION=1]rpm[/MENTION] seriously, this thread gets a bump every odd time and are making women around the world proud of their husband's DIY skills :D

dalkill

SO i did some digging into this little magic switch.
It's called a thermal fuse. It's purpose is to "pop" when the oven gets too hot. This may be for various reasons. Some ovens have self cleaning option where it goes above normal max temps , and sometime the thermal fuse mistakes this for dangerous event and blows.

In my case, i suspect it the fact that the oven door does not close completely. Springs need to be replaced. This allows warm air to escape making the element work overtime, thus popping the fuse.

Before i reconnected the thermal fuse, i let the stove run at 70degrees, and saw the oven light go on and off. Which means the thermostat is still doing it's job. On the oven control switch (70th satchwell switch) was a little screw that looked like was a temp setting screw. I opened the switch, and saw it control the placement of contacts. I turned it a bit, and switch working as it should. Light goes off on 0 position and indicator and oven light goes on when i turn it on.

I then reconnected the thermal fuse for safety, and stove was dead. Pressed the reset button with a toothpick, heard the little click, and stove working again. Put it on 180... watched it indicator light switched on and off telling thermostat doing it's job.

Next to replace door springs to avoid thermal fuse popping again.

DarkImpact

Thanks to the OP and everyone's input in this thread. So, this thread has saved yet another oven. Have a Defy Gemini Petit Chef (very old model) that stopped heating up after a power outage. Clock, light and everything came on but the oven just did not want to heat up. Stumbled upon this thread and did the same trick to insert a tooth pick in the little hole in the fuse and listen for the click of glory.

The Gemini differs to the 600s in that the fuse is tucked away behind the yellow fluffy stuff. Just pop off the back off the oven and look at the top side a little bit of centre to the left. It is connected to the blue wires, or was on mine.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
That damn switch is the reason why I hate my Defy oven. Cost me a callout fee to reset it years ago. It will actually be one of the things I will be looking at with whatever my replacement oven will be next year. Stove still going strong and will got to a good home for many more years of use and reseting that switch :)

Actually plan to just drill a hole into that plate to make reseting easier.

Surfpig

I joined up MyBB (admittedly having been a lurker for some years) just to say this thread is a winner and again saved the day, supper and some bucks. Thanks for everyone's input over the past decade! I wasted some serious time going through supposedly dedicated appliance DIY type websites that provided no guidance or clue as to the problem (no power at all on bottom oven but top working fine). I have a Defy Gourmet double oven and it has two separate covers at the back. I made the mistake of taking the top cover off first in trying to find the offending switch. Turned out it was in the bottom, at left, where everyone said it was. Except I wasn't sure what I was looking at but a quick reference to those pics from Scab13 were super helpful :thumbsup:

thehuman

Expert Member